Esophageal Nodule

** Originally posted by mouse424 **

Anyone have any good sources of information on Esophageal Cancer? I am almost 2 years post lobectomy for stage 1A adenocarcinoma. Last couple of months have had difficulty swallowing. Had endoscopy on 5/16 and they found several things wrong. Nissen Fundoplication failing, diverticulum and they did biopsy on nodule. Doc isn't being too forthcoming, just states that nodules in esophagus are uncommon and to wait for biopsy results. He is one doctor who isn't too happy with questions. Have to wait till the 31st for results. Does the waiting bother anyone else? It usually drives me crazy. I have done some research and have found that only a small percentage of nodules in the espohagus are benign. Anyone else with a similar problem with positive outcome? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

4 replies. Join the discussion

** Originally posted by barb **

I don't have or know too much about esophageal nodules, but I do know about doctors. Many of them are so arrogant and think they are God and we are not to question them. But I do question all my doctors, and if one is not forthcoming, I go elsewhere! After all, this is our life we are fighting for.

I think you need to ignore your doctor's attitude and TELL HIM YOU WANT ANSWERS. If he does not give them, FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR. You have the right for answers.

One other thing that might help you, is to go to the medical facility where your tests were done, and go to data records and ask for a copy of your report on what you want, and read it.

Love and prayers

Barb

** Originally posted by jolene **

Sorry to hear about your esophageal concerns. First, I agree with Barb. There is no sense to put up with a Physician with attitude. You need to be up front, open and honest that he needs to answer your questions and when he leaves you hanging, it makes you anxious. There are enough physicians in the world, that there are always options with someone who has a more appropriate bed side manner. I know 2 people who have had excellent outcomes with the Dx of Esophageal cancer. Both are male. One was a teacher who taught under my husband. His cancer was extensive and prognosis was not the best at that time. He had surgery and chemo. Last spring was his FIVE years cancer free so this is his 6th. He has done remarkably well. My parents neighbor who is in his late 30's also had this form of cancer. He too will reach his five year mark this summer. Both said the most difficult part was the chemo, which is what most cancer patients say with any form of IV Chemo that is strong. BUT, there were meds to help them make their journey and they made it with such great success. If your doctor has a negative approach...GET OUT and find someone who is a fighter. These two had oncologists that would not allow their patients to think negative. Best of luck to you and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs from Iowa...

** Originally posted by DaveG **

More and more I have come to believe that the attitude of the doctors are all so important to one with any cancer. When the doctor comes across as caring, yet honest, it is all so important. Even the General Surgeon, who first diagnosed my Lung Cancer, offered Hope right from the start. Those first impressions can be very important to the overall outcome.

In my opinion, since we are the one's paying for the doctor, that doctor has a responsibility to take care of us, to include addressing our questions and concerns. If we are not getting that satisfaction, then we must find a doctor who will give us the time that we are paying for. As a matter of fact, I greatly appreciate those doctors who will ask probing questions, especially those who will ask about our lives outside of cancer, or how has cancer affected our lives. These little things, although they may not sound important, really are important. The things, and people, that surround us daily, can have a very important effect on how we deal and live with Lung Cancer.

When people come to me and tell me how sorry they are, really doesn't offer me encouragement. As a matter of fact, I consider that to be very condescending. The one's who come to me and ask how treatment is going, really do care about me.

So the bottom line is satisfaction.

** Originally posted by mouse424 **

My Mother, father and brother were all misdiagnosed. So I do not put doctors on a pedastal like most people do. I always ask questions and always research their answers. I always get copies of all my scans and reports. I know I have to be my own advocate. Some Doctors that I have seen have that "we will cross that bridge when we get to it" kind of attitude. My attitude is be prepared. I hate surprises and like making informed decisions. Most of my doctors have come to realize this and find it helpful. Some find it annoying. My gastroenterologist went out of his way to avoid my husband and my questions and left the hospital without talking to him. When I called him to the carpet on it the next day, he apologized and said it wouldn't happen again. I like him in general, but they have to remember every patient is different. I like knowing the whole picture. As always I appreciate all of your input. It is amazing how talking to someone in the same boat can help out so much. Knowing someone understands what you are going through helps immensly.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders