Dr. Berkson LDN/ALA

Has anyone had treatments or know of anyone who has had treatment by Dr. Burt Berkson of New Mexico? He uses the iv ALA and LDN.
Bev

Prayers for all

18 replies. Join the discussion

I've been taking LDN for almost 2 years for Multiple Sclerosis. It has done wonders for me.
Just recently a CT Scan showed 3 nodules on three different lung lobes. Tomorrow I will see a pulmonologist for the first time. Hopefully the LDN has done some good for me in this regard. I'll let you know as I go through the staging process. I Plan to use Alpha Lipoic Acid interveiniously if needed. Sorry for spelling I'm not from the medical field!

Have heard good things about LDN, personally I would do it...You can not take any pain meds while taking LDN...
Best of Luck, xoxoxoxo, NDM

You can take some pain meds if separated by many hours. I have done it with both Tramadol and hydro done. But it's better if you don't. I got the info from Skip, at Skip's pharmacy.

I don't have any information about Dr. Berkson, but I've been taking LDN since 2009 and had almost immediate improvement in my CTscans. I've taken ALA since I was dx'd in 2005. I've outlived my original prognosis by over seven years. I don't know if LDN and ALA have helped in my survival, but both drugs seem to be a good choice for those of us who use alternative therapy and both are inexpensive.
Charlene

How many MGs do you guys take?

Yes, I second that request.
How many mgs do you take?
There is a lot of flak out there now, about dosage. Some say three, some 4, some 4.5mgs.
This all results from the Zarnak( sp?) University of Penn research, and his posted caveats regarding proper dosing, in treatment of cancer.
Certainly as research proceeds, it changes previous knowledge, and thus perhaps also the most effective dosage of LDN, specifically regarding cancer.
It is all very frustrating!! As well as anxiety provoking.
Berkson uses from 3 to 4.5mgs, with ALA.
I wonder what he thinks about this most recent research.
Best. Pat

I take 4.5mgs of LDN every evening. That's the normal dosage for LDN. I take 1200mgs ALA in capsule form everyday.
Charlene

Charlene,
I don't know what LDN is but I also take alpha lipoic acid 1200 mg daily.

Chickee, LDN is Low Dose Naltrexone. Lots of online information about LDN. I think LDN has been beneficial for quite a few cancer patients and worth a try.
Charlene

I heard , not used yet, but it helps

Charlene,

My friend has taken LDN since 2011 and has remained stable with stage IV NSCLC. Could you give us more information about ALA, such as method of administration, dosage, how often and whether it is prescribed by your oncologist or family physician? Keep up the good fight!!

Cukes

Cukes, you can buy ALA at any health store. I take 2 600 mg capsules once a day.
Charlene

cmbrne,

Yours is quite a story. It might just be unique.

I have wanted to ask you if with all the radiation you have had if you have had any lasting side-effects, lung damage, impaired breathing, anything. You almost make it sound like a walk in the park, but I gotta believe its not so easy to have had so much. Granted you missed all the fun of chemo, lol, and all the wonderful things it does your body, mind and organs.

Slimesnake, Radiation really was a walk in the park until after the third treatment when I developed radiation pneumonitis 3 months after Cyberknife. I seemed to be in good health with no problems until March12. My CTscan on March 8 was excellent, the cancers were shrinking, the inflammation was localized around the treated lesions, and there didn't seem to be any radiation problems, but only a week later I became symptomatic with low grade temp and severe shortness of breath. I went to the doctor immediately, but my doctor was on vacation and I got a doctor that knew nothing about radiation pneumonitis and insisted I didn't have it. I insisted on a chest xray but the chest xray showed nothing, so it wasn't taken seriously and I wasn't treated with steroids until about 5 weeks later when I went into my oncologist's office hardly able to breathe. He sent me to the ER because he was afraid I was going into respiratory failure. It went from localized inflammation at the point of treatment which caused no problems and little damage, to spreading inflammation throughout both lungs, causing lots of damage. The healing has created scattered scar tissue that I wouldn't have had if they had treated me promptly. Because of the delay in treating the radiation pneumonitis I now get pretty short of breath and have to take things slower. This is strictly from what I consider medical neglect. I've always maintained whenever anything has ever happened to me to put my life at risk, it's been from doctor's error.
Radiation pneumonitis is a serious condition, and I try to warn Inspire members getting lung radiation to watch for the symptoms and get prompt treatment.
Charlene

Chickee,

My friend gets LDN from Gideon's Drugs in New York for $61 for a 90-day supply, including shipping, and you will need a doctor's prescription. The phone number is 212-575-6868. We don't have the fax number at hand. Can you recommend an inexpensive source for ALA?

I've never had to have a prescription for ALA. Maybe the ALA from Gideon's is different. I get my ALA from Life Extension or the local health store.

Whoops I misunderstood, yes you need a prescription for LDN not ALA. You can also get a prescription for LDN from Frontier Medical Institute 303-233-4247

How does one go about finding someone to administer iv ALA locally? I live in Arkansas and can not find someone locally that knows about ALA and LDN to do it. Also, from what I have read, the iv ALA is ordered from Europe.
Another fact is that you must take vitamin B complex when taking ALA. I found this information on the internet in an interview of Dr. Berkson.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders