DOCTOR'S SAY THERE'S NOTHING THEY CAN DO!!!!!

This is my first time posting my own discussion. I am in need of desperate help. On 2/4/10 my father in law (but i consider him my dad) was taken to the emergency then admitted to the hospital for possible pnominia after sooo many test were done, we were told he had Stage iv ext. SCLC with mets to the liver and adrenal gland.
He was started on the chemo combination of carbo/epot. He had three rounds while going into the hospital in between each round. All of his cells, well everything kept dropping. He ended up on antibotics for the last 3 weeks. Had to get blood and platelet transfussions.
Well yesterday I took him for his 4th round of chemo and the doctor told me that there is nothing else that can be done for him. To me this is crazy!!!
In between the chemo the cancer continues to grow and that it is more agressive than they originally thought. That his liver is failing because of all of the cancer on it. They were able to shrink the main tumor in the lungs from the radiation. Which he had 20 rounds of that. But the liver they can't do anything for.
The Dr. then told me to take him home and let him do what ever and have whatever he wants. He only has a few weeks, not months. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I think it's insane just to sit here and wait for the person you love to die.
I have done sooooo much research since this nightmare began. My husband went and purshased burial plots. He can't believe this either. He is in a state of shock. No one wants to belive this. I have already got him another appointment for a different Dr. It's Wednesday, but I noticed tonight his urine is very dark. Almost like the color of pepsi. I know it means it's the liver. We don't know what to do??? What if he doesnt make it until then or gets too sick for them to help?
The nurses and dr's would tell me when he would be in the hospital, that when it's dark like that, the liver isn't functioning. And this is the darkest i have ever seen it!!
Yesterday they told me he will become very tired and end up not eating at all. He will go to sleep and never wake up. He is already tired. Today all he ate was a little bowl of soup broth and an ensure. He has stopped talking to us almost completly. He just stares off and when we do ask him if he is okay he says he's tired. We didn't tell him that they are saying he has only weeks left. But the dr's say, he knows.
I feel like this is a nightmare that I can't wake up from. This is the worst thing I have ever had to experience and WE ALL feel like our hands are tied.
Please if anybody knows about any treatments or even what supplements may help PLEASE PLEASE help us!!!!
He does take only 1 selenium tablet, 1 magnesium cloride and iodine per day along with hemo oil. We read that combination is 3 of the 5 on the top protcol cancer list of supplements that help. But who knows if that's crap too?
The first time we went and met his Dr. I had asked her about other chemo meds. Just alot of questions. She told me she felt the chemo they were using would work. But if not then we will talk about other options when the tme comes. well yesterday the time came. But she said NO to everything I was trying to ask her about. It's like she wanted him out of there so they don't have a death on their record. Their satistics will go down or something. It was supposed to be one of the top cancer centers here in the Los Angeles area. Apparently NOT!!! They were so cold when they were telling us this. After the one Dr was explaining to me and my sister in-law what to expect with his final days. My sister had asked for a min to clean her face up so we don't walk back into the room and look like something terrible was happening. She actually told my sis to hurry up, she needed to get back in the room because she was already running late for lunch. I WAS SHOCKED to see how someone can be sooooo cold and have absolutely NO feelings for what was just told to us.
I'm sorry if I have been rambling on but I'm so confused as to what to do??? If any one may have any info that may help me I would greatly appreciate it.
We are willing to try anything. Please anyone if you know of anything that can help with EXT. SCLC with mets to the liver and adrenal gland. I NEED IT!!!!
Thank you very much God Bless, Sincerely. Janae

Edited May 1, 2010 at 4:46 am

44 replies. Join the discussion

I'm sorry you're all going through this, especially your FIL. When it gets that bad, giving more tx can only hasten his passing. It might be best to call hospice, I'm surprise the doctor didn't tell you this. They can help all of you through this. My mother had the same dx almost 10 mos. ago and she had only one of the same tx and her kidneys failed and she passed the next night. From beginning to end was only 6 weeks. It might be good to get him comfortable and pain free,then talk to him and love him while you still have him. I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear. Wishing you all the best. Take care, JC

Jeremiah 3:33 Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'

My sister gave me this healing formula as she attends "Spiritual and Doctrinal Empowerment" in the Church. It is called " 7-night 7-hallelujah". We kneel together, pray together for 7 nights and uttering 7 powerful hallelujah with full of faith. This is not a fanaticism. It works for me and by faith it will work on your father's also. Just try this, nothing will loose, because in the "Power of Prayer" God will reveal on us.
http://atumorinmylung.blogspot.com

You haven't said much about your FIL's general health situation or age. Listen...let me be blunt. My 52 year old husband was just called to Heaven, after a 27 month long fight against SCLC with mets to his liver. At the end, his urine was dark, although not as dark and you are saying. Also, one thing to look for is muscle jerks and lack of muscle control.

One "experimental" sort of thing we did was radiation to the liver. See if you can find a really good radiation oncologist who might be willing to try that. I will say the reason they were willing to try it with Mike was because the tumors in his liver were causing so much pain, so they did it to shrink the tumors so the pain would decrease. It was never meant to be a cure, but it did give us 6 more good months.

The other thing I want to tell you is that there are worse things than death, especially death of a Christian. Make sure you are turning everything over to God. He has it all in control, whether you turn it over or not, but you will have peace in your heart if you turn it over to Him.

Marg

Please research Hospice in your area to help you and your FIL through the end stages of the disease

Hi,
My heart goes out to you and your family. I don't have any info that will help but I am going through the same thing with my husband. He has SCLC w/mets to liver, spine, spleen and lung. He is on the 4th line of chemo and they aren't working... he feels really bad from the treatments and I am not sure it is worth it to put them thru it. I am really scared too because out of all the chemo they can't find one to work on the liver mets.
I will say a prayer for you and your family.
Cherish the time with him and make him comfortable and happy as he can be.
Margie

Hi Janae,
I think you shouldn't give up yet!!! My cousin was sent home to die. I told him and his family to start Budwing diet, you can google it. The main thing about it is to eat mixture of flaxseed oil and low fat cottage cheese, 1:2. He has been doing it now for the 3rd week and he already feels better and they say his stomach is shrinking. He has stage 4 and it is everywhere, even in his liver. I really believe it helps. It is easy to do, cheap. The only thing you have to make it fresh everytime and not to eat white bread, fried meals and more vegies and fruits. You can find info on the net or let me know and I will send you all info you need. Good Luck and don't give up. Fight and fight again. It's harder when you start it late like in yours and our case but it can cure! She (dr. Budwig) was curing patients who was given a day to live!

Sorry I do not have the answers you need. but do all who reads this some good and post the cancer center you went to, hold them accountable for there lack of compassion, sorry for your experience no one deserves to go through that, cancer is enough rude,cold, heartless people should not be allowed to go into the cancer field. Id post the name of the heartless person. What is it they say God dont like ugly.

Radioablation is the one they use on the liver mets. Not all doctors will do this, it depends on the health of the patient. It never hurts to ask though.
Take care, JC

Sorry to hrar your sad news. You really never know what is going to happen. I never expected my mom to die that particular day. do all you can to save him but keep in the back of your mind it could be the last day and like the doctor saud give him anything he wants. Tell him everything you want to say before its too late.

His urine can be very dark from dehydration also.
Give him more fluids if he is not drinking much.
They all tell us we have no hope, but many of us are still living beyond what any of our docs said too.
My husband was given 3 months with ext small cell lung cancer and lived over 6 years. He was considered cured at this point, but he died of a bleed in his brain.
I was diagnosed over 4 years ago, and given 12 to 15 months at most, I am still breathing too.

My friend and inspire member also, her name is grandmado is going on almost 7 years in remission.
She was on hospice, and told she was dying!!
Don't give up hope, or listen to what a doctor says. Only God knows the day!
Keep faith, hope and patience with you and him at all times.
My prayers as many or ours, go out to you.
Sandy

Thank You to all who have responded. My FIL is very tired. He doesn't eat mauch and hardly drinks anything either. A hospice co came out yesterday. My husband happened to no the owner of the co. He said that he is not a dr but has been doing hospice services for a long time and to him he thought my FIL had more time??? maybe huh? I totally understand it's all up to God. But You still want to try everything possible.
The cancer center I took him to was City of Hope. Where they took all your hope with one visit!!!! The one who was absolutely heartless was Cindy Kelly. She is terrible. I even called yesterday and asked for them to call me as i had a few questions. And I got NOTHING!!!! I have his app on Wednesday at USC. Hopefully they can offer something. They did tell me at City of HELL that he didn't qualify for cyberknife. So we don't know what to do. The hospice co said they will be coming out only 2x's a week. that doesn't seem like it's enough for me.
Again I would like to thank you for all of your support and help. I will be going over all of these posts with my husband. You all bring back the hope that maybe it's not his time. I will keep posting. Maybe I can get some good news on wed.
Thank you all and God Bless, Janae

One other thing I know the truth might be hard for me to hear but I am understanding just how terrible this monster is. It grows so fast any I know that everone is different. JC thank you for being honest. I am so sorry to everyone who has lost someone to cancer. I have had other people in my family who had it to but did not experience it myself with someone I am so close to. So even if you may think I don't want to hear the neg PLZ just shoot it to me straight.
I was the one who stayed at nights everytime he was admitted. I know all of his movements, the way he breaths if he's in pain. Just his whole deminer. At the begining he would only tell me what was happening with him all because he didnt want to worry his wife, his son which is my husband and his daughter. He felt comfortable enough to finally tell someone he was in pain. To Everyone else he would always say he was Good!!! I can feel it's the end. He told my husband 2 nights ago that he couldn't do this for much longer. I feel he's ready he is 67 and always been healthy. All up until Feb when he was Taken to the hospital. Since Feb. he no longer was driving, nothing. we have always been right with him. His life totally changed from him being completley independent to being taking care of, is hard for him. I don't know what to do for him? I have so many mixed emotions. We just don't want him to suffer. For pain he is on a patch and when it's really bad he take dilaudid. The morphine didn't work for him.
I will keep praying and just hope for the best. Thank You all once again. It means alot!!!
God Bless, Janae

Janae, he needs a proper diet and lots of fluid with lots of care. It is good you get a second opinion. There is always hope!

H

I am praying for you and your faimily

Janae, I readmy letter and noticed some things that I'd better explain :) First is that when I said stomach I meant his abdomen was swallen, his brothers told me he looked like a pregnant woman. Now it's becoming smaller. As for food when I said "and not to eat white bread, fried meals and more vegies and fruits" I meant not to eat white bread, fried meals and TO eat more veggies and fruits. Well there is a lot of information I'd send you and even a video how to make the mixture, just let me know if it's something you want to try. My cousin was very sceptic as people told him different opinionsand he was frustrated. When there was nothing left he said OK I will try this,nothing to lose. Last time I talked to him (yesterday) he even sounded better and thanked me :) We are getting there!!! I am so mad at all these clinics and doctors who doesn't want us to know about these simple ways or curing cancer because they make bigmoney on all these drugs and chimos. I believe that any stage of cancer can be cured. Stay positive! Good luck! He needs more sun and more positive in his life right now.

Wonderful world. Thank you. I understood what u were talking about. I too have heard of all of the stuff you mentioned. I purchased the flaxseed oil in march. He just never started it. Kind of didn't believe it. But for some reason my FIL doesn't believe any of it. I do though. I've always believed chemo is a posion and if you are strong enough you win if not the monster wins. It's so sad how the government is. It's all business but I bet you if some high politicital person was to get it. They would somehow be cured. It's all about money. It's not their lives or no one important to them so they don't even loose sleep at night. It's sad but true.
So to everyone thank you from the bottom of my heart. He is sleeping right now but when he does wake we are going to see if he can get the cottage cheese and oil down. I'll keep all of you posted. Thank you for all of your prayers and support.
God Bless, Janae.

If your loved one needs more care, ask the hospice to increase the visits and services.

Janae,
please make sure you do it exactly as it should be done. As far as I understood it is very important!
Just in case I want to send you some links, if you don't mind.
Here is a link to the article about the treatment for cancer
http://www.naturalnews.com/025079.html

here is another one, which actually explains why flaxseed oil and flaxseed are good for you
http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/flaxseed.htm

here is more about Dr. Budwig, who discovered it and more about why it helps and how it cures.
http://www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/Budwig.html

This is a video, explaining in details how to mix it right
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSoddptWL0s&feature=related

The following page is worth reading. People discuss Budwig protocol/diet.
http://www.inspire.com/groups/lung-cancer-survivors/discussion/budwig-proto col-diet/?reply_parent_id=422789#reply

And some more (if you have time)
And here is a link to the site, which offers many other alternative treatments and strategies, if you have time to look through it. You can click on "Print Friendly Version" on the right top corner and then you don't have to click on "Next" all the time, which was annoying for me :)
http://www.cancerfightingstrategies.com/

Here is a link to the website where people discuss different ways of cancer treatment. INteresting
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43868
I understand that it is way too much information :) So, I'd start with flaxseed oil and cottage cheese and then, when he is getting much better you can read other stuff.
Ome more thing before I go to bed... I've read a letter from a guy whose wife was dying and she couldn't even eat or drink anymore. They started giving her just flaxseed oil through the tube. When she got better they were giving her the mixture. Dr. Budwig said you can start with 1 spoon of flaxseed (with is better but if you can't then without cottage cheese) and then increase it till 8 tablespoons a day, which means 24 tbsp of mixture. Good night and please keep posting. I will be letting you know how it is going with my cousin too.

WonderfulWorld, thank you very much. I will be looking up all of the links. I have nothing but time to do so. Just Thank You from the bottom of my heart. We will start it right away first thing in the morning. I will be sure to keep posting. God Bless, Sincerely Janae

Three weeks ago after about 3 weeks of diagnostic tests , our oncologist broke the bad news to our family and to Bob, my husband. Stage 4 lung cancer. Surgery was not an option. Chemo and radiation was not recommended. He told us we should contact hospice. He suggested that we use our local family doctor for palliative care. This was very hard to take. We had just returned from 3 great weeks in Florida and Bob was a little short of breath when he first went to his doctor. When we first stared this journey he was was up and around very well. When we had our last time with our onc. he was in a wheelchair and now he is in bed most of the time. Our son asked about getting a second opinion in order to fight this thing. Our doctor said . of course, go where you want to. Go to Mayos. They will tell you the same thing, but you can probably find some clinic or doctor or group who will give you some kind of cure promise. Bob is 74 and has had a fine life and the love of a wonderful family. Here is what he decided to do.

He did not want to be poked, pinched, prodded , or needled like a giant pin cushion. He trusted our oncologist who is the best in our state. We came home and talked about it and he then got busy making sure his grandchildren knew how much he loved them. He asked our attorney , insurance person, and funeral director to come in and talk with us, so I would know everything i needed to know. Hospice came into our lives and they are fabulous. Our pastor has been with us as has his many loving friends. Our son comes 3 times a week and helps Bob shower. We remember our old times and how much fun we had had as a family.

Here is what I want to say about this site. So many different ideas how to live and die with cancer. Funny foods, massages (always good) panic running to doctor after doctor. What you must decide is how you want to spend the time left. If Bob were younger, and the kids were still little, I am sure we would look at this in a different way. We decided not to not bundle up Bob with oxygen and aching body to fight our shock and sadness. He has too much dignity to play that game. Be realistic, find a doctor you trust and love your husband , wife, father, mother, or child , or friend and realize that all of us are going to die at sometime. It isnt the dying that is hard, it is getting there. Use that time wisely.

I know I will get answers saying never give up. etc. That is why I probably wont write again , because we are strong in our choice. I hope others can avoid panic and get on with it.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders