Did your lung cancer show up on a chest Xray

I am a relativily healthy 32 year old, I say relativly because I did have my thyroid removed because they thought I might have cancer, turn out I did not. I also had a heart arryhthmia that has been corrected.
My dad died recently after being diagnosed with lung cancer non small cell adenocarinoma. I went to talk to my doc about my risks since I used to smoke and do stupid things that young people do that are bad for you.
I have had a cold so he went ahead and did a chest X-ray because he heard a little something in my lungs and said the X-ray was clear. I just finished a corase of strong anti biotics and still coughing. He told me that at 40 I should pay and get a screening CT since I had an uncle die from lung cancer in his 50's and my dad was in his 60's.
Anyways is it possible that I could have cancer and have a clear X-ray? I have been freaking out and debating about going ahead and geting the CT since we want to plan another baby very soon

34 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Sheila,
My cancer showed up on an x-ray and it was rather large in my lower right lobe. Three years prior, I had an x-ray and nothing showed.

The problem is, Cancer is the Great Deceiver, and my cancer was found by accident, because I came down with bronchitis, and it did not go away as fast as my primary doctor thought it should, thus the reason for the x-ray. I had NO other symptoms whatsoever and at the time, I was 69 years old and working every day.

Shell Shock to say the least. It would pay to have a chest x-ray every other year unless you have symptoms such as I did, then don't wait. Every so often, there is a company that will do a full body scan for a reasonable price. If you can find one of them, it probably would give you some peace of mind.

GOD BLESS YOU wanting another baby at 40. I have had 3 of my own, and altogether raised 10. At 72, I am still raising an 8 year old. He's a sweetie, but these Golden Years are much different than those people talk about.
Sending prayers your way to contemplate on,
Marylou

Marylou
LOL....I am not 40 and wanting another baby I will be 33 in Sept. I could not even imagine that. Sometimes I wonder if I have the energy to handle another one at all. We are starting to try next month and hoping to have a girl this time. I want to name her Stevie after my dad.
My doc said he has no problem giving me a chest x-ray when I get my physicals, I have an awesome doctor who will do just about anything to give you peace of mind. If my cough does not get better I am going to go back and talk to him and see if he thinks I should pay and do the CT now. Insurance will only cover it if they find something on the X-ray that needs to be followed up. My doc did say that small lung cancers will not show up on a chest xray though, that is what scares me

My moms showed up on an xray (her tumor was almost 3cm. I am also worried, so I had a chest xray shortly after she was diagnosed. Mine came out clear, but it still does not give me peace of mind. Every little cough, every little pain I think I have lung cancer. I am thinking about getting CT scans. It is worth the money.

Hi Sheila,
Ok, I see where I misread what you wrote. Well, 33 is a good time for another child but don't wait too much longer. I tell ya girl, all of these kids really kept me running. I guess that's why I stayed so skinny.

You're right, it would be better to have a scan because small cell does not show up nearly as well on an x-ray. However, many years ago, my mother did have small cell and they did find it through an x-ray, not as good as those today.

I am happy you have a good family doctor. Mine is the same way. He will do anything to help ease my mind. In fact, when I have my scans, he usually gets the report faxed to him the same day, and he will call me.
My Onc on the other hand has the personality of a slug. He does not go out of his way for anything. I am in the process of switching doctors now.

If you have a girl, Stevie would be beautiful just like Stevie Nicks. She has always been one of my favorites just like Steve Perry and Journey.

Good Luck and God Bless,
Marylou

My lung cancer did not show up on an x-ray, it showed up on a CAT scan. It was caught in the very early stages. Non- small cell.

I was told it would be good to get a screening CT scan from the neck to the adrenals. My mother and her mother both died from SCLC. I would go for the CT. It doesn't always show up on xrays until it's further along. Better safe than sorry. Take care, JC

Marylou...I do like Stevie Nicks too. I actually met her a few times. I was working at a salon in Atlanta and she was staying at the 4 Seasons and came in 3 times a week to get her hair blown out why she was here recording an album. She is very nice and always came in dressed liked a hippie...LOL.
After reading all this I think I am going to opt for a CT, I am not really having any symptoms except a cough but I hope it is just from sinus drainage. I will most likely wait a little while and hopefully I will get pregnant next month and can get one after the baby comes.

I was x-rayed the year before and nothing showed - the next x-ray (a year later) showed a 2.4 cm tumor. Turns out you can't see most anything with an xray unless it is more than 8mm (.8 cm) so mine tripled in size in one year.

I don't think a ct scan is warranted in your case... medically. But psychologically it is - it is causing you worry and doubt. Fib=ne a doctor who will write a prescription for the ct scan. Doctors can do lots of things if they wish. I was never billed for my x-rays - because the doctor wrote it up in some wonderful way.

Courage

Chum

I'm 56 and I had never been ill, and I came down with pneumonia seemingly overnight. At first xray in the ER only the pneumonia showed up clear as day. Ten days of antibiotics followed. Then, a follow-up xray showed pneumonia cleared up BUT a 2.8cm mass in lower right lobe. "Post Obstructive Pneumonia" dx. The tumor was blocking my breathing. Up to getting pneumonia I had NO symptoms. Kindest regards. Take care, Rose

Hi Sheila,
I had a chest xray because of a real bad cold and chest congestion in January of 07 and they said it was clear. In April of 07 my cardioligist did a CT of the chest for the heart and that is when my cancer was found. A small nodule was found. So really I think the only way to know for sure is the CT. I'm sure my nodule was there in January but wasn't picked up by xray. I am NED at this time after a right upper lobectomy and adjuvant chemo. Good Luck to you Sheila,
Louie

thank you everyone. If my cough does not clear up I am going back to my doc anyways. Either way if I have the doc write up the CT scan I will have my deductible to meet or I can pay $275 for the screening CT they offer in Atlanta. I need to figure out what to do by mid April because getting a CT while trying to conceive is a no no for sure.

Sheila,
My cancer did NOT show up on x-ray(s). I got/get a chest xray every year because of my asthma. They were always clear. Because of something in a blood test I had, they opted to do a chest/abdominal CT scan, and found a 7.6 cm mass!!!! After months of treating it as pneumonia, they did surgery (removed my RLL) and found that it was cancer. The doctors think that I could have had the mass for 10 years..... So my recommendation is to not trust Chest X-rays, and go for the CT scan!!

Erin

yes---by the time it is on an x-ray--it is big. I know cause it happened to me in 1995.
Geeeze! I still have that film! Aggressive and BIG!
This does NOT mean you have LC.
Sorry.
( -:
Tired and was answering the question!
( -:
CT? A lot can happen in a year. Just have them protect your lower body.

Had a chest x-ray in January as part of a routine health exam. It was clear. At the end of February I had a chest x-ray in the emergency room due to an emphysema problem. It was clear. The emergency room doctor decided to do a lung ct scan because she thought she saw pneumonia on the x-ray but couldn't be sure. No pneumonia, but mass in right lung showed up very well. DO NOT TRUST X-RAYS.

I would have the x-ray. My father had a cough and was not feeling well. He went for an x-ray in November, which he was told was clear, except for a possible pneumonia. He was put on antibiotics, but really didn't feel any better. In early Jan. he went back to his doctor who took another chest x-ray, which also came back negative, or clear. The doctor decided to do a CT scan because of his smoking history (although he quit 15 years ago). The CT scan showed a 9cm mass in his left lower lobe, as well as two 5 cm lymph nodes. Nothing was picked up on the x-ray!!! Hopefully it is nothing, but I would recommend getting the CT scan just to be safe.

Good luck to you,

Ronda

I had a chest xray in July 2002 and then in Oct 2002 got hives and since I smoked Dr decided to do the xray again (not sure of the connection) and found a little spot. So she sent me for a CT and it showed cancer. had surgery to remove URL and clear for 6 years.

It might help you to go to the ielcap.org website and look at the possibility of having a low dose CT scan as part of their study. You pay $100.00. You are furthering the cause of LC research and getting answers to your important questions.

I am part of this study and am quite relieved to have this resource in my life.

Susan

I was having some shortness of breath and went to my primary dr., had a chest xray, and was told I had pneumonia. Treated with 2 rounds of antiobiotics. They weren't helping and one day I was just having so much trouble breathing. I went to the ER had a chest xray and again told it was pneumonia. Because of something in my bloodwork (a test called a d-dimer) they decided to do a catscan to look for bloodclots and found nsclc in my right lung, malignant fluid in my right lung and around my heart. I believe if it wasn't for that catscan they would have kept treating me for pneumonia and who knows when they would have found the cancer. I thank God I went to the hospital that day because I am stage IV and have mets to the brain. I would push for that catscan everytime!!!
Best of Luck.

My cancer did not show up on my x-ray. I was first diagnosed in Sept. of 08 with SCLC of lungs and NSCLC of liver (may be other way around). an ultra sound first indicated the possibility and then more tests determined the presence of cancer. As recently as Jan. of this year, my x-ray indicated nothing about cancer. Unfortunately, the CT indicated otherwise; in fact a worsening of conditions for the liver (lung is now a non-issue likely because of nearly 9 months of being on Tarceva).

Jim

Sounds like the consensus is to have a CT scan. I had a thoracic surgeon explain to me, an xray would pick up a tumor the size of a golf ball, where a CT scan would be up the tumor the size of a pencil eraser. Big diffence! I have stage 4, my father and grandfather both died of LC and my 86 year old has recently been diagnosed. I have 3 kids 30-24 who i will see they get tested early. God Bless

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders