Curcumin/quercetin

Hi,

My father was diagnosed with stage IV NSCLC last year.
We have already tried 3 different chemo and Tarceva but no remission. I read about quercetin and curcumin. Does anybody have any experience? Also any suggestions about diet ?

Thank you so much.
Michela

32 replies. Join the discussion

I have been taking Quercetin and Curcumin/Turmeric spice for about a year. They are both powerful anti-inflammatories & more.
Curcumin is the pharmaceutical extract of curry - and curry is to Turmeric as caffeine is to coffee.
Basically, what I do is take a teaspoon of organic turmeric powder (which is alot to start - I would start with 1/4 teaspoon) and empty it into a "shot" glass; mix in a dash of black pepper, empty the contents of a curcumin capsule and then mix with oil... I use my cod liver oil with it or you can use cold pressed olive oil. Mix and drink like a "shot", chase with water. Not too bad tasting.
The Quercetin has been a challenge to find...there are many products on the market with Quercetin and other ingredients, like bromelain (pineapple) as activators. That one tore my stomach up. I finally found one with whole food ingredients from Innate Response...there are a few others.
God bless-
Ellen

I'm assuming what you're looking for are actual studies and products that have been proven. You have to be careful because most of the powerful studies regarding curcumin had other agents to help the body absorb what was in the curcumin because very little is absorbed by the body itself when you are using just curcumin and even less when you are just using turmeric. I buy Curcumin C3 Complex which is made by Sabinsa, an Indian Neutraceutical company that has been in business for over 20 years. Their specific product is being used currently by such institutions as the UCLA school of medicine in the study of colo-rectal cancer. I only pay $15 for 120 capsules at Vitacost.com which is a pretty fair price. They have plenty of research and actual studies done on their product. You can go to Circuminoids.com for their home page on this product and its studies. I believe there is a website called letstalkhealth.com which may have some info and carry a quercetin product.

I would also look into I-Sabi and Epicor. These are very inexpensive but contain isothiocyanates and saccharides in higher amounts which are being studied very heavily in relation to cancer. As far as diet, in my opinion it boils down to digestion. And it depends on how committed you are there. You may have to do a small amount of your shopping at a natural foods market, but I say cut out anything made with wheat flour and dairy for a while and lower your sugar intake. You can find breads and tortillas made with things besides wheat flour and there are other types of milk, like soy and rice milk. Low fat soy milk is good just because it tastes the closest to real milk. The kicker here is cheese, because that's probably something that is not easy to replace but hopefully he doesn't eat much of that any way. Try to cut out processed foods also. Meat, eggs, corn, beans, potatoes - those are all still good to eat. But try not to eat preserved or processed meat. Watch out for stuff containing wheat gluten. The reason for all this is that the products I mentioned to avoid are not genetically easy to digest and they can bog down your body's immune system.

Hi Jonny,

Thank you very much.
Do you also take Bioperine along with Curcumin C3 Complex?

Best,
Michela

As Drawing3D mentioned, Michela, taking black pepper, especially Bioperine (black pepper formula) is essential for effective absorption of all nutritive compounds if you're going to take Curcumin. Curcumin C3 Complex contains Bioperine which is patented by Sabinsa Corp. and C3Complex is also coincidentally produced by Sabinsa so they definitely know what they're doing.

As an extra suggestion you may want to add Kyolic Aged Garlic One Per Day formula. At Vitacost.com (starting to sound like a salesman) it's only $7 for 30 caplets. This is a virtually odorless garlic supplement which goes through an aging process to activate certain enzymes within it. The reason I bring this up is that one of our family acquaintances had a grandfather who was riddled with tumors, had chemo, and was sent home to die some years ago. Well, because he was widowed and older, his daughter and son in law would come to his house once a week and clean up a bit et cetera. They noticed a pervasive smell in his house and on his clothes. They assumed it was due to his body deteriorating. Well he was still alive a year after the doctor last saw him so the doctor called him back in for a checkup. After they did some testing they found the tumors were all gone. And it was then that he confessed that he had eaten an entire raw bulb of garlic every day for the last year. So you can draw some hope from that.

Oh, and he lived another 12 years until he was 82.

My Mom has taken the Curcumin C3 from Vitacost. And, yes, from what I've read - there is not nearly the effectiveness with the Curcumin if you don't have the Bioprene. It's weird because Curcumin will aid inflammation, but black pepper can cause it. However, in this combination, something about the combination works.

I started taking it when my hands started hurting quite a lot. Within two or three days, the joint pain was gone. I love this stuff.

Another good supplement to consider trying is Paw Paw. I've written about it many times here. There is a great video series on You Tube called "Paw Paw: From Discovery to Clinical Trials." There are nine video clips in the series and it is fully explained why Paw Paw works against cancer. Go to www.youtube.com and search for the title. It's long to watch - but, again, very informative. Mom has been taking the Paw Paw Cell Reg from Nature's Sunshine for several months now with no side effects or problems at all. Plus, it's pretty cheap at around $40 a month.

Tracey

Baylor has been doing research on the Curcumin and say that you need Bioperin to help absorb it. I take two 800 mg a day. has been very helpful with sleeping as quiets any shoulder or hip pain. They are also saying it helps fight cancer. I also use the powder.

I am 71 and all I take is natural Billberry for my eyes, low dose aspirin and Cod liver oil gel cap. and then the Curcumin/Turmeric with Bioperin.

Good to know about the garlic story!
I have been eating raw garlic (about 4-5 cloves) a day now for several months. My doctor wanted to put me on low dose coumadin or an aspirin a day regime just as a blood clot preventer since I still have my portacath in - this also disrupts VitK absorbtion so I vetoed the idea b/c I eat the garlic (doc didn't know that garlic was an anticoagulator - figures). It is a powerful anti-inflammatory too and I actually love the taste of it now. (My son thinks I've flipped off the deep end)
God bless!
Ellen

I would also stay aware of a product by Sabinsa (who make both Bioperine and Curcumin C3 Complex) which is called Saberry. It's supposed to be available in the market place in the next few months. It's a new formula based on the Amla fruit in pill form that has a very high anti-oxidant/ pro-oxidant effect. Its ORAC or activity against free radicals will be higher than any other product or substance out there. The Amla fruit has been studied in many medical studies (especially in India medicine) and is not just something that grows in a rain forest and is used by local shamans. But again they add a special enzyme process to it so it is greatly absorbed by the body. They have been working on this for a very long time. The thing I like about Sabinsa is that they have over 100 scientists on staff and they are not merely interested in just marketing cute products. They've also been in business for more than 20 years. And they have products that are used quite frequently in U.S. university and hospital medical studies.

Ellen, I was thinking since you already take garlic and curcumin you should look into taking cayenne too. I know, ha ha, all you need is another thing to take. But I've been looking at some more medical studies and those three together are singled out as being very potent anti-tumor and detoxification inducing substances. And cayenne is really cheap in capsule form. I've seen studies where curc and cayenne and garlic and cayenne were used together.

Thank you all.

My father has started curcumin (and garlic as well).
Unfortunately he couldn't find Curcumin C3 Complex (he doesn't live in the USA). We started with a capsule (400 mg) in seed oil and black pepper. We'll increase the dose if no side effects. Hope it helps!
In a few hours he will gets the CT scan results. Unfortunately he has been so bad last weeks.

Prayers please.
Thank you.
Michela

I believe that curcumin also requires oil to make it effective - I see Ellen's post regarding taking it with fish oil. You can also use olive oil or flaxseed oil.

Hey blujohnny;
There have been some rumblings about eggplant, peppers (all except black pepper) and tomatoes being "night shade" plants. These are inflammatory and also contain a form of nicotine. Since I read that, I stopped eating eggplant, all peppers and pretty much, tomatoes even. (I try to get my lycopene from small bits of watermelon with fiber).
Black pepper is actually very anti-inflammatory from what I have read so I started using it in my fish oil "shot". Thanks for the info though...I will look into it cayenne further.
God bless,
Ellen

I would be careful on the way information is gathered on deciding when to take or not to take certain things. Cayenne is the main ingredient in such things as hot buffalo wings and most hot sauce condiments and is pretty potent. Cayenne has been part of the human dietary system for at least two centuries. Especially in latin America, central America and the Caribbean. I always use common sense before I accept any "boogey man" writing on anything. And I always look at clinical studies which are plenty on Cayenne (Capsicum.) But good luck!

No offense, but my brother ate red clay "instinctively" when he was a toddler as I believe children have done for centuries for salt deficiencies, but that doesn't mean that I want to... and I never liked hot wings to begin with :)
God bless,
Ellen

Ellen and friends,

Thanks for this informative post. I've started my Mom on a diet following the BP cottage cheese regimen, as well as adding in organic foods and spices, such as tumeric and ginger and garlic cloves.

Do studies show that ingesting the actual food (spice) is better than the supplements or capsules? Ellen, you had mentioned you make yourself a shot with oil/pepper, etc. Why did you choose to do this rather than taking a capsule? I tend do believe that the actual food is better, but maybe taking a capsule with a stronger dose is better?

Let me know your thoughts - thanks!

PS - I had to laugh that your doctor didn't know the benefits of garlic helping blood clots, etc. I asked my Mom to mention her new diet to her surgeon, to which she replied, don't bother! She's a nurse, so she knows the deal, with most doctors unfortunately.

Hey Peace33;

I actually DO, do both... I empty the contents of a curcumin capsule into the turmeric/black pepper and then mix with the fish oils (or olive, etc. if you prefer) for my "shot". That way, I feel I have covered all the bases - food & supplements.
I do the same with my Quercetin... I take Quercetin supplements but I make sure to eat red onions and red apples (Red Delicious or Fuji) every day also; the red onions have the highest food content of quercetin, red apples are next. And there was a clinical study that red delicious and fuji were the "lung" cancer apples... ( If anyone is interested, I will try to find that report again)
God bless,
Ellen

Ellen, thanks so much! I'll read the previous posts on this thread about where to order - do you find the capsules online?

And, if you can, I'd love to see the apple report about fuji and red delicious apples. For now, I'll buy the organic ones for my Mom.

Had a tough day with my Mom today - very down, wondering if these nutrients will help her, if anything can. She said, well I've been eating those types of things throughout my life, and this still happened to me. If anyone could send some hopeful thoughts to her about nutrition and healing, that would be so nice - I need all the backup I can get!

:)
Amy

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders