COUGHING UP CHUNKS OF BLOOD

HELLO EVERY ONE I AM NEW HERE. I HAVE BEEN READING A LOT OF YOUR POSTS. MY HUSBAND HAS NSCLC IN STAGE IV. HE WAS DX ON JUL 16, 2008. HE IS NOW ON ALIMTA EVERY THREE WEEKS. RECENTLY HE HAS COUGH UP THREE CHUNKS OF MEATY LOOKING BLOOD THAT WAS FOLLOWED BY BLOOD. I WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE ELSE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM.

19 replies. Join the discussion

Welcome to our family. My hubby ExSCLC coughs up globs of white goo- the doc told us to keep track and if he coughed up blood to call him asap. So far we havent had to do that but perhaps thats what you should do, call a doctor. Just to make sure. Good luck and God Bless, Lucy

I did that !!!! About 4 or 5 months ago I had about a week of caughing up clots, then bright red blood. Did it 2 or 3 times a day. I called my ONC who sent me to my Pulminary Dr. It had stopped for a couple days when I saw him. Dr. told me to just watch and wait. If he scoped me it could irritate whatever caused it and start it again, but if it quit.....best to leave it alone. It happened again the first week of November, lasted about a week. I phoned Drs and left messages, but neither were too concerned. It stopped and has not happened again. It is very scary as I coughed up what would fill two or three paper towels. ????? Please let me know what your Doctors and others on the board say.

Becky

OMG - get to your DR right away!!!!

I agree with Peyz, I would think it would be nothing to mess with. You didn't say whether chemo or radiation had been done so one of them could have caused it maybe but it is something that I would think should'nt be ignored. I know when pulmonary doctor first thought I had cancer, wanted to know if I had coughed up blood or been losing weight. Please check to be on the safe side.

I agree with mitziger. There are so many variables that only your Doctors can unravel. Always to be safe...rather safe than sorry ...Good luck and I hope it turns out to be something minor.

Becky

I have coughed up blood on and off for the past year and a half - sometimes it will last a day, sometimes over a week. It seems to stop as suddenly as it starts. My oncologist said that they can sometimes do radiation to stop the bleed. I would definitely get it checked out.

I LOVE this place. I thought I was the only one who had done this..Mine is the same as Summeron2001.Starts and stops with no rhyme or reason..just happens.. I would get it checked out..then let the rest of us know what your Dr. says..
Mine were not concerned unless it persisted or got worse...

My mom's onc told her not to worry about the little bit of blood she was spitting up. He said that if we ever thought it would fill a tablespoon to go to the ER. Other than that it is completely normal. I swear my mom sometimes spits up chunks of lung!! It looks like those little pieces of chicken you cut off before you fry it!! Something new every day! Prayers and hugs to all........

My dad did that, as well as a lady that we knew at church when she had LC 3 yrs ago. I think it is when the tumor invades blood vessels. When it happened to Dad, it alramed me, butD ad was like, "Hmmm...coughing up blood now." He didn't SEEM concerned.

Thank you all for your reply. My husband did tell his doctor and he even cough up one of these chunks at the doctor office. The doctor said it might be the lining of his esophagus or a mucus plug. I have been reading on the internet about people coughing up their tumors or dead cancer cells. We are praying that he is coughing up the tumors. He is real week right now and the doctor said he might have to have a blood trasfusion this week. His red blood cells are down. About two weeks ago he had to have blood platlette tranfusion.

Dear all who have responded,

My Guy had small episodes of coughing up blood also
the Drs. weren't to concerned, until one episode he began coughing up bright red blood almost with every cough, he ended up overnite in the cancer floor of our hospital, the next morning he had a very
severe episode where he was almost throwing up blood from his lung... he first said he was burning up, then suddenly began the episode.. ended up in the ICU..and had another episode around 2am...both times his blood count stayed good, but the determination was that the treatments were working and the tumor had adhered itself to a main artery, and as it shrunk it tore the atery in the lung...our story ended badly as he was transfered to a university hospital, and he had another major bleed while in route...and passed away along side the highway...please never ignore any warning signs..

I pray no one ever has to experience this...
If I can be of assistance please feel free to ask.

My prayers and Best wishes go out to everyone fighting this terrible monster..

God Bless
Sue

My husband coughed up blood for months. That is actually one thing that helped to diagnose the cancer. After he was diagnosed he continued to cough up "chunks" of blood.
Dark in color is old blood and bright red is "fresh" blood ( I am sure you already know that).
He would cough up dark at first then it would become bright. The pulmonologist said his cough was so severe he was actually rupturing blood vessels and that is where the bright blood was coming from. He has not coughed blood in awhile now.
He just told me yesterday that he believes he has COUGHED UP CHUNKS OF THE TUMOR !!! Who knows !!
God Bless You

I HAD THAT PROBLEM MINE WAS PNEUMONIA. I NEVER FELT SICK BUT I SPENT 5 DAYS IN THE HOSPITAL TAKING BREATHING TREATMENTS AND NO MORE PROBLEM. THERE ARE SO MANY REASONS FOR THIS. BEST THING SEE YOUR PULMONOLOGIST.

Where else can we talk about "chunks of blood" coming up with out grossing each other out. I love it that we have a place to do this don't you all? I didn't know anyone coughed up blood til reading this and now know a lot of reasons for it. I have been what I call winter coughing (no blood - just clear fluid) that happens when heat is on and its cold, and I cough so hard I see black and fuzzy and I get numb but now I feel better. I have a group that coughs with me.
Jean

Too cute! Yea, this site is amazing, and has really been a lifesaver for me! Watch out for those black fuzzys!! :o)

My Mom had a week of coughing where chunks of old, dark blood were coming up - as well as chunks of tissue that looked like meat. It happened at the doctor's office once and they sent out a sample of it to the lab for analysis. It turned out to be part of her tumor.

When she had her next CT scan, the 9 cm protrusion (coming off her primary tumor) that was present on her previous CT scan was now gone. So, in her case, she was coughing up part of the tumor. If possible, save some of the chunks and see if your doctor will have them analyzed by the lab.

Mom has been doing high dose Vitamin C IVs since September through a Naturopathic Medical Doctor and her primary lung tumor is collapsing and is dead in the center.

She just had an MRI of her brain (because she has one metastasis there) and it showed the brain tumor is also dead in the center. She's also taking Paw Paw, low dose Naltrexone, and is getting ready to start taking Poly-MVA.

She hasn't done any chemotherapy or radiation so far and seems to be responding well to the alternative treatments. We're working right now to get her scheduled for Gamma Knife radiosurgery for the brain met. Hopefully, they'll get that scheduled by next week.

How long has she been on Paw Paw? Any side effects??

What kind of cancer does she have and where does she go for her treatment?

I am happy to have found this site. It sounds like many of you/or someone in your family is under going hard times, but this place sounds like a good place to be for support.

I did a search for "coughing up blood and chunks" and this thread came up, and I was surprised to hear descriptions of just what I am undergoing.

I see this thread is several months old, so I hope some who were involved will share with me what has gone on since they posted.

I am in the early stages of discovering what is wrong. Had a ct scan last week to to the coughing up stuff and also due to a mass showing on an x-ray.

Thanks for you support.

Pat

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders