clinical trial vaccine

My husband completed his vaccine trial in october and we just got the results to see if he responded to the vaccine with antibodies. Unfortunately he did not :( his last scans were clean but he said he feels like he was diagnosed again as was thinking that the vaccine was protecting him. I feel bad as I found the study and it messed with his stomach pretty bad and for what and did I pick the wrong study? The NIH will continue to follow him which is good just feel deflated. We should be over joyed as he has had clean scans but for some reason we are in a funk. I have been very weepy lately and just don't get why. We should be so grateful for all we have this Christmas and I feel bad that I am depressed. Sorry to vent. God bless you all and merry Christmas.

16 replies. Join the discussion

Well, pull yourself up by the bootstraps, and onto the next thing! The good news is that his scans remain clean! Many more clinical trials out there, I just know one will be right for him!

Don't be too hard on yourself. While that trial might have been a shot in the dark at least you were being proactive. Watch, wait, and pray isn't that fun either. Better to be doing if you know what I mean.

Clean scans are a reason to celebrate. Hopefully, you guys will be able to enjoy the holidays.

mike

Good morning, Geology -

It is unfortunate that the vaccine did not produce the desired results. The job now is to help hubby get over his stomach issues in time for Christmas. Are those reversible now that he has stopped the vaccine? Have you been told what can be done to help him overcome them?

Remember that picking "the right study" ultimately rests with NIH. We are learning that what works for one person, doesn't mean it will work for the next. Much research is being performed behind the scenes by dedicated groups of researchers each and every day. Something else may come along.

In the meantime, hug your hubby and yourself.

I was happy to hear you are only deflated - and not defeated!
Get out that old bicycle pump, my friend. Another day is at hand! Happy Holidays, Karen

Hi, must be the season..where christmas is a time we should be happy and celebrating I too find myself very down and weepy. You and all of us here have been through a lot...I believe we are entitled to feel weepy. We are human. The good news clean scans...that gives us all hope..keep ur eye on the prize and know that u r not alone...miriam

Karen thank you! the nih will be doing a colonoscopy in January with his next scans . He was also on celebrex at a high dose with the trial so that is what probably messed up his stomach. Will know more after the colonoscopy. Your words were great so I am getting out my pump! Miriam my Facebook friend thank you. Thoughts and prayers to you both.

Cindybobindy and mike thank you for the responses. I am inflated and pulled up my boot straps :) this site is so wonderful at helping people feel better. God bless you both and happy holidays!

I'm not sure I understand. You say it didn't work but yet he has clean scans. What does that mean? Are you thinking because he now has stomach problems, he didn't respond?
Fighting cancer is a daily battle and we just keep on going.
Hoping you get out there and get out of your funk! Take the hubby with you! Take care, Judy

Davstar thank you. Dave and you have been thru so much that my stuff pals in comparison. I read all your posts and you are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Please excuse my ignorance..what was the trail for?

They mean that he did not respond to the Trial Vaccine because his body did not make antibodies. The fact that his scans are clean is just good news on the side.

If his body had made antibodies in response to the vaccine, this would fight further cancer spread.

Oh I see thank you..

Judy cindybobindy explained everything perfectly :) thank you cindy.

Thank you judy for all your support. thinking of you often.

If he is still SCLC Limited stage he is doing VERY well then and yes, merry xmas to you and him! It is difficult not to be stressed over this disease and more so when you are so young and still have a growing family. Side effects from some of these clinical studies can be horrific. My hubby is approaching the 5 year mark with SCLC Limited stage, has some issues with COPD and emphysema but the inhalers are working very well for that. Wishing all of you all the best in 2014!

Luvhubby thank you. You are my insperation and your story gives me constant hope.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders