I inadvertently "discovered" something yesterday and want to throw it out into the community to see if anyone else has experienced it.
My husband passed away a few months ago from S4LC; the last month he was experiencing extreme dry mouth from the meds and from low water intake (he had a hard time ingesting anything). As he requested I bought him some sour candy which seemed to help some. I normally don't eat much of any candy but these tasted good to me, too, and I continued to eat them after he passed.
Yesterday I realized that the congestion I've been experiencing started about the same time I began eating the candy. After a light went on in my head, I looked up "citric acid" on Wikipedia where it was explained that it is no longer made from citrus fruit but from Aspergillus niger, a fungus commonly called "black mold". From Wilipedia: "In this production technique, which is still the major industrial route to citric acid used today, cultures of A. niger are fed on a sucrose or glucose-containing medium to produce citric acid. ....... After the mold is filtered out of the resulting solution, citric acid is isolated ......" I stopped eating the candy and by the end of the day my chest began to clear up. I changed NOTHING ELSE! This especially struck me because I have a low tolerance to mold.
Back to my husbands condition: Looking back I realize that his last month (when he started eating the candy) he had an increase in bad phlegm attacks. Yes, his fluid intake was down, but (in hind-sight) the problem seemed to have increased dramatically. If he had a low tolerance to mold, does it make sense that citric acid might exacerbate it? I don't want to sound like a paranoid nut-case. I am not a nutritionist or scientist, but it would seem to me that there is a possibility of some sort of residue or some 'part-per-billion' of the A. Niger still retained by the "purified" citric acid. Now Wikipedia states that "... if large amounts of spores are inhaled, A. niger can be deadly due to a serious lung disease, aspergillosis... " which is obviously not the case for someone eating candy or having a soft drink. However, if a persons health is already compromised and is allergic to mold, is it possible that ANY exposure would be magnified?
I simply want to bring this up just in case there is POSSIBILITY it may cause complications for a person already suffering from breathing difficulty. It is in so many products now-a-days, it's hard to avoid, but is very heavily used to make sour products that people with dry mouth crave. So I was wondering, has anyone with a sensitivity to mold notice any similar occurrences, or "side-effects" from citric acid?