Carrot juicing good or bad for LUNG cancer?

Hi is carrot juicing good or bad for LUNG cancer..I juice 3 lbs a day mixed with kale apple ginger root. I was told tonite carrot juice is bad for Lung cancer.

17 replies. Join the discussion

Dom, Lots of information on the internet that says Beta carotene may not be good for smokers with lung cancer. You'll have to do your own investigating on the subject of beta carotene and lung cancer and decide for yourself. Personally, I avoid using it in more than just normal quantity. Also check out the Protein salad at the salad bar at Kroger on Bethel Rd. You probably know how to make it even more nutritious than they do, but I'm impressed. I went on line for the recipe but don't know where to get some of the ingredients for the dressing. It sounds healthy, but you would know better then me.
Charlene

Hey Charlene!
You are in Columbus too! Thats Great!!!
I am going to get the Anti-Cancer book...good lord I been juicing 3 lbs of it....I rarely let anyone cook or prepare my food..I am just really picky about washing and stuff..I like my vegan dressing- 2 tbls sesame oil,2 tablespoons rice vinegar,2 tablespoons soy sauce,1/4 cup miso paste, 1 teaspoon ginger powder...some water..its wonderful!! I dont eat alot of greens I eat more veg.
I am PERPLEXED over the carrot juice thing..lol..Im a total control freak

I get my greens from curries..I make curried kale and mustard greens with potatoes, and garbanzos- I also juice Kale juice 2-3 times a day

Thanks honey bunny I'm going there now hugz
Dom

Wow you too know each other too.
Hey we are all friend here.
Charlene comes here for her radiation with my old radiation oncologist, it is a small small world really isn't it?
I wish i was as good as both of you eating all of that healthy food!!
We have a great grocery store here called Wegmans that you can buy all of this kind of food in one stop shopping.
LOL.
You are both so good at getting healthy.
I need help to be motivated!!

It's really nice to read upbeat posts today:-)

So Dom, what do you think about bet-carotene? Were you a smoker? And remember
O-H-I-O
Charlene
only we understand that !!

And Dom, Sandy is right, you would go out of your mind at Wegman's. It's one of those supermarkets you could meander through for hours. Better then Whole Foods.
Charlene

I thought Beta carotene was the best..my scans came back reduced all the way around after 2 rounds of carbo/etop ,I juiced alot of carrots-3lbs a day and ate a ton of steamed sweet potatoes--I had bad dreams last night about it ..ugh
~yes O-H-I-O.
I go to krogs...I cant stand to wait in line..and I HATE spending money..I did get approved for food stamps so will start going to Whole Paycheck.
I had no idea of the beta carotene thing with smokers...

well I am finding more articles that says its good for lung cancer,,the articles i find that says beta carotene is bad for lung cancer are using beta carotene supplements in huge amounts!

Dom, Whatever you're doing it seems to be helping, so keep up the good work. You might make some money selling your recipes over at The James, or publish your own health cook book for cancer patients. I'd be willing to buy your cook book. Three lbs of carrots a day is alot of carrots, but maybe that's just me. I like to snack on those little baby ones.
Charlene

Its about 2 8oz glasses.
Idont know what's working abd whars not I'm anxious again,

I meant I don't know whats working and whats not..Im scared to death and sick of it.
I made red lentil dahl last night with brown bazmati and salad of course..it was good..but I tooted all night long!!
I slept bad..was humid turned on the air but it woke me up..window ac sucks coz of the noise, had wierd dreams, and then got tired of messing around and just got up at 6. Been obsessively searching on the internet since then.
I gotta get on my list for the day--its long!

Dom Obsessing over cancer doesn't do any good. Get your mind off cancer and try to enjoy life. I wouldn't want to spend every day searching for ways to fight cancer. You're doing all you can to help yourself with diet, and that's alot more than many of us are doing. If food will do it you're a winner. A happy heart does alot to fight cancer, so does walking happy dogs.
Charlene

Youb are correcWay way too much time obsessing,I didn't wven stop to be grateful when they told me I had reduction of tumor and mets-I m sooo ungrateful-yuck Thanks and hugs.
I went to banknthen riverside for blood for chemo and then to henderson rrd to verizonIm stopping on the way home to get the book anti cancer- hugz thanks for your help

The issue has never been with nature's beautiful and humble superfood, the carrot.

Take betacarotene away from its synergistic nutritional compounds and pump it to unnatural levels in the human body an isolated nutrient, and you have the potential for problems.

About 1 to 100,000 less toxicity issue than the basic chemotherapy drugs, mind you, but let's not stop the scare mongers having their fun.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/02/050212184702.htm

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders