Carboplatin/Taxol Hair Loss

I am on day 15 since I got my first Taxol/Carboplatin. Now I am shedding hair all over the house. I am wondering does the hair slowly fall out over a period of time or will it all be out fast.

Also does it fall out everywhere. I guess I have observed plenty of people at the oncology center when I was getting chemo that had bald heads, yet have facial hair and/or hair on arms.

Does this affect different people in different ways? I am fine with loosing my hair I just want to know how fast it goes?

23 replies. Join the discussion

I had weekly treatments of Taxol/Carboplatin along with daily radiation. I did lose most of the hair on my head (had a few stragglers that I finally had buzzed), underarm hair, and leg hair. The pubic hair thinned out quite a bit as well. I never lost my eyebrows or my eyelashes. Treatments were finished 5/7/08 and hair started to grow back in September. I have chemo curls which will probably be gone with my next haircut. Good luck.
Cheryll

Aprils hair started to fall out about 2 or so weeks in so we shaved our heads bald on day 18, after some cool Mohawks. 5 weeks in now and she has no body hair, arm, leg ect. she still has her eyebrows and lashes.

-Jeff

Hi:
I had Taxotere and Carboplatinum, just about the same thing. At that time I had very long hair. It started to fall out and I would find some of it on my pillow in the morning.

At that time, we were caring for a little grandson, and I thought losing my hair would scare him, so we decided to have a hair cutting party. We all got buzz cuts, and then had a "no hair" parade around the living room.

It's funny, I didn't lose my eyebrows or all of my eyelashes. When my hair came back it was very curly and still has more of a curl to it.

My suggestion would be to just get a buzz cut. Looks like you have some little ones. That way it would not worry them.
Good Luck and God Bless,
Marylou

My husband also had carbo/taxol. After 14 days, he had all his hair, and we naively thought he would not lose his hair although the oncologist had send he would. On the 15th day, his hair started to fall out in clumps, and within a week, he had lost ALL his head hair, body hair, etc. However, he never lost his eyebrows. On the plus side, it all grew back, initially very curly, but within a year, it was the same old texture.....Losing one's hair temporarily is a small price to pay to save one's life.

Yep I will never forget it
I took a shower an thought my wife's Muff fell of.
I looked like a new born well a 66 year old new born .
The thought of that kinda makes ya not want to look in the mirror.
Hope the other side affects go away quick
Bless you an your family.
Greg

Ha
I shaved my head prior..Use only an electric razor..
So I didn't go through the head hair issue..just the other area's which really where not anissue ..Except for eyelashes at night sleeping tended to keep them
closed for a bit when I woke up..I kept pretty much a shaved head through to my second session I am on
now..Wife likes it..Me too.Ha

I also did 6 rounds of carbo/taxol/avastin. On day 14 my hair started falling out. I had already given myself a "GI Jane" haircut but it was painful coming out for me (that feeling like I had my hair up in a ponytail all day and was letting it down) so I shaved it clean after a couple of days of that. I lost ALL my hair eventually throughout the course. No arm hair, no leg hair........you get the picture. Closer to the end of my rounds I also lost my eyebrows and eyelashes (some people don't.) But between my last two rounds my hair started growing back on my head. And it didn't take long for the rest to start coming back.

When my hair started to fall out I hd my husband shave my head and kept it shaved until after the treatments were over. I lost every last hair on my body. I'm now on Tarceva which I think inhibits the growth a bit but after five months I have a head full of little curls, eyelashes like I've never in my life had and the rest of the hair is coming in very slowly. Eyebrows grew in and then fell out again. (no more having to have them waxed!) It is a small price to play and for me it was just easier to be in control and shave it off.

Blessings, Donna

I was on the same cocktail and I think it started coming out around the 3rd round. I went to the hairdresser to cut it shorter so that it would be easier and when she was shampooing it, it started coming out in clumps, so I told her to just shave it. She did this in private and I picked out a wig, since she sold them there.
Leslie

I agree Bloom. When the hairdresser was scrubbing my head and then said my hair was coming out in clumps, I couldn't believe how painful that was. I guess I would never have thought about that.
Leslie

During radiation I was on a lower dose of carbo/taxol and my hair thinned. After radiation was over and I went on to a higher dose of carbo/taxol, my hair started to fall out rapidly and I just got it buzzed.

My eyebrows and lashes simply thinned but the rest of me was totally bald.

Hi SaltyP - yeah, me too after about 2 weeks on carbo/taxol/avastin. I was still a 'little' shocky about the whole cancer thing and having my hair come out in clumps was very depressing. My wonderful husband gave me a buzz cut. It took awhile to get used to being bald, and wigs scared my dog... I have a great hat collection and became very comfortable being bald. I lost every hair on my body. After 5 months on tarceva I have 'bunny fuzz' on my head, the worlds weirdest eyelashes and eyebrows that come and go. Its yet to be seen whether the bunny fuzz gets any longer.

I buzzed it real short after it started falling out. I was watching a movie and all I can say is that my hair started to hurt...Did anyone else have that feeling? Well anyway I kept rubbing my head. After the movie the the whole back of my seat was covered with hair. The poor cleaning person must have thought that a shedding dog sat there!! I kept loosing right to the end. After my fourth and last treatment, I had lost all my hair including eyebrows, eyelashes, pubic hair and all hair on my arms and legs. It grew back full and very curly (which lasted about a year and a half and just went straight). I was happy to see everything killed by the chemo as I felt it was doing it's job.

When my husband had chemo his hair was soft straight and black with some gray. It all fell out except the gray. He got back the black but it was very wiry. When his fell out, it was just a matter of a few days and not just the hair from his head. I vacuumed the bed every morning for about a week. From what I heard, everyone is different.

I just gave in and shaved the head. I am now considering what else to shave. The hair falls off my arms, legs, and other areas. The hair on the head was going fast the other stuff is not as fast. I wonder if I get my next treatment on Thursday it will fall faster after that, once I have more in my system.

I lost mine probably 14 days after the first treatment, ( the chemo was strong, ) only took the treatment every 3 weeks. Hair matted and felt awful and was coming out by the handful. It didn't leave any hair, eyelashes, brows and all went. I decided to use clippers on it and yes it did hurt when it came out and hurt when it started growing back in. I use a pet shampoo that is for human use too and actually has the same ingredients as salon shampoos. It is called premier natural botanical pet shampoo, then I use mega-tek rebuilder. I'll swear it is thicker and silkier than my hair ever was, It was thinning and especially in front on top as my mother's did. You can look it up on the internet or buy at horse supply places. The hair when it is new lays any way it chooses and has cowlicks. I had my last chemo in December, it is not long enough to style it but looks about like a shaggy mans hair so I still wear a scarf or wig unless I am at home. I don't think I was a pretty sight with my bald head and seemed my neck got fat and chin started drooping. I am getting it back and so silky and nice. I am 75 will be 76 next month, the hair is mostly brown but has grey here and there and especially one spot in front on top. A lady on here told me about this and I tried it and liked it. Suppose to make it grow faster but I don't know what that means, has not been fast enough for me. tee hee. I want my hair all back. mitzi

That combo doesn't mean you will lose all of your hair...but..it just thins to the point you can see your scalp and continues to fall out to the point that you will want to shave it just to be rid of having hair every where. I finally had my husband shave mine and it was truly a blessing to be rid of the mess. Mine started growing back within a month or so of my finishing chemo...it was a surprise to see the fuzzies so quickly. Already had lost the hair on my arms legs and armpits from the breast cancer treatment and it never really grew back...

Don't go shaving anything else until you are sure you are losing it. I had Docetaxel/Cisplastin/Avastin. The first visit my onc told me to start looking for a wig because my hair would certainly fall out. My eyebrows thinned but didn't fall out completely and my eyelashes as well stayed.

Karen

Thanks for all the advice. I just talked with an oncology nurse with 10 years experience. She said that the same quantity of the same drug can affect two different people in different ways. The drug I am on everyone looses hair from their head, though not everyone looses all of it. Not everyone looses eyebrows/lashes and arm and leg hair also varies. She was not sure on hair on private parts because not everyone shares that info. As for hair coming back age plays a factor. Older people get it back slower. I am not totally concerned about getting hair back. I was pretty much fooling myself with the combover on my head anyway. It is nice not having hair on my head and I may just stay bald or at least shave my own head even after chemo. It will save some dollars on haircuts.

was on the same cocktail,after my ist treament my hair fell out .2nd treament arms legs eyebrows and other places lost all my hair.when i finished chemo when my hair grew back it went a diff colour and it was curly.also got pins and needles in my legs,plus a metallic taste in my mouth 3 days after treament had to force my self 2 eat,everyone is different.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders