Cancer Free after 1 yr 8 months.

I just wanted to share my good news. Yesterday I went to Sloan Kettering in NYC for my cat scan and 1 yr 8 month visit recheck and everything is great.

I just wanted to share my story with everyone. I was waiting in the room when my doctor walked in. He could not even wait until he sat down at his desk to talk to me. He blurted out you are Cancer Free. He was grinning ear to ear. My husband and I talked to him for awhile and when I got up to leave he got up and came over to me and gave me the biggest hug. He was really very happy for me.

From day one we have been so impressed with this doctor. He has such bed side manner and is such a caring man. In case anyone would like his name is is Dr. Raja Flores. You could not ask for a better doctor.

18 replies. Join the discussion

My friend goes to him as well, she loves him. I've read articles of his also. If I didn't love my own doctor so much I'd be making the trek to NYC to see Dr. Flores!
AND - CONGRATS! I'm happy dancing for you!
Wishing you continued good health!
Cindy

WOW! CONGRATULATIONS! THAT IS AMAZING NEWS!!!!

My dad is also at Sloane but he sees Dr. Azzoli. Would you mind me asking the stage of your cancer when you were diagnosed? What treatments have you had??????

I hope my father one day gets the same good news as you!!!!!

Congrats again!

Amanda

Congratulations! You go, girl!

So glad to hear that......the best news!!!!!!!

I am hoping for you to have years more of the same news......

Congrats!!!!!
janet

I was diagnosted with stage 1a cancer. I had 2 tumors on my lung. I had to have the old fashioned surgery because my lung was covered with scar tissue, why , no one knows. I was extremely lucky they caught it early. They considered these tumors slow growers. I went to my doctor for something else and they found nodules on both my lungs. They were watching them for 2 years when something changed. I was so lucky because they only watch nodules for 2 years and then stop. I feel I am so lucky because if I had not told my local doctor about this other problem (no relationship whatsoever to the cancer) that maybe these tumors would have grown to full size tumors and then where would I be today.

As far as Dr. Flores, I am telling you make the change if you are not happy. This man is so compassionate. First the 1st time I walked into his office he was there for me. When he first gave me the diagnosis in May of 2007, he held my hand and said you ARE NOT KICKING THE BUCKET. I live on Long Island and going into the city is a pain but let me tell you it is worth seeing this man.

What wonderful news! Congrats! And to have a good oncologist to top it off! You are a lucky lady!

Best wishes,
Sheila

thanks, I live in upstate new yok but have heard great things also about the hospital Sloan kettering, my nephew has GIST cancer he went to our university of Rochester and they would have not provided appropriate treatment, he did get a 2nd opinion at Sloan and they removed tumors in his liver had they niot removed them the Gleevec pill he is on would not have been strong enough to kill all the cancer, if he had stayed here for treatment he would not have had the tumors removed from his liver so I wish I could go to Sloan and see this doctor, my cancer is in remission right now but if it starts up again I am going to be tempted to go for another opinion there and also see this doctor you are talking about, mine is a stage 4 so not sure if there is too much more that can be done if it comes back, I know there are other treatments but not sure yet what kind.
Thanks for sharing with us.
cuddles53

Congratulations on your wonderful news! I am so excited for you! And, lucky you, having a competent AND compassionate doctor. I'm also fortunate in having the same type onc. It feels really good to have someone who is almost as excited as you are when they announce that you are NED - it means a lot . It really feels like he is fighting along with me! May you continue to have have excellent health! Blessings! Brooklynda

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THAT... MY MOST BELOVED PERSON IN THIS WORLD WAS JUST DIAGNOSED. SOMETIMES I GET STUCK IN THIS SADNESS BECAUSE OF THE NEGATIVE THINGS PEOPLE SAY..... WE NEED MORE INSPIRATION! AND YOU ARE EXACTLY THAT!

Congratulations!!!!! Good news is always nice to hear. I am doing the Happy Dance with you. I will have a brighter day today, Thank You. My oncologist treats me the same way, I feel so grateful to have loving, caring doctors. I really does help us get through this journey.

Janet

So happy to hear your good news - what wonderful words to hear! Have a great weekend!

Sylvia

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND MAY YOU HAVE MANY MORE CLEAR SCANS AND CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH I LOVE WHEN I SEE YEARS CANCER FREE
god bless

YAY - happy dance time!!!

Just so everyone knows Dr. Raja Flores at Sloan Kettering is my surgeon, not oncologist. Thanks to everyone for doing a happy dance for me.

Who is your oncologist?

I did not need chemo or radiation. I had stage 1 cancer and surgeon felt I did not need any further treatment. Did see an oncologist at Sloan Kettering in Commack, New York and he agreed that I did not need chemo. So my fingers and toes and everything else is crossed that I never need it.

Such wonderful news...

happy time..
enjoy the good news and god Bless..

Lisa

So glad to hear your good news. I wish you many more years of blessings! Its even better when your doctors are not only good but that they are caring as well. Thanks for his name....hopefully I won't need any more surgery .....I had 2 so far, but only chemo after the 2nd one. I had a carcinoid tumor which became more aggressive the second time....my dr. says I have an 80% chance that it won't come back...I see my doctors regularly like clockwork with Pet/CT scans, etc. My doctors are good as well as caring too. Its so good to hear good news.....its inspiring.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders