blowing up tissue through nose

Lee has been blowing his nose and many times big chucks of what appear to be tissue comes out, it is brownish and a little bloody. The best way I can describe it if a big bean that has soaked for too long and you can see the tissue layers. Anyone else ever experience this? The onc didnt know what it was, but then again it was a fill in due to his regular onc being out. We are just trying to figure out what the heck it is, I am guessing it has to be coming from his lung or air way,

10 replies. Join the discussion

This question might be better put to your primary care physician or ENT doc. Hope you can get to the bottom of this soon.

A blood clot? I wouldn't think a blood clot would have layers. I have been know to but such specimens in a zip lock bag and the doctors actually thank me. It is way easier to show than explain.

I get some very fleshy pieces up through my throat. I often wonder what the heck. Maybe a big bugger.
Did he have any bleeding before or after this thing.
Julie

I have had some "Impressive" hunks of stuff coming out of my nose. I also put it in a baggie & onc. didn't even want to look @ it.

i know it is gross, but very strange and definatly not a booger. he is having a problem with blood clots in his lung. the baggie idea is a great idea we will give it a go thanks

Is he on Alimta, or Avastin? While I was on Alimta-Avastin, I blew bloody chunks out of my nose every morning. Took my nose months to completely recover.

Yes he is on carbo and alitma

I am on Alimta / Avastin and also have the occasional nose chunks. It is concerning when you see them, but must be a fun side effect of the treatment.

Ahhh, the new normal. Just have to embrace it and enjoy the ride....

I also had the same thing while on Alimtta/Avastin and then on Avastin maintenance. I did ultimately have a nasal hemmorage (I am sure that is not spelled right...
but you get the idea). I went off of the Avastin shortly after that. I am now on Tarceva. The NP suggested antibiotic ointment on a Q-tip and swab the nasel passages everyday.
Dee

My mother was coughing up small hunks similar to yours. She asked her doctor and he said it is hunks of the tumor that is growing near the airways. Pieces break off and get expelled through the nose or by coughing it up. It is not that common because the tumor has to be next to the airway. However, he said it was normal. I would mention it to your doctor to see what he says.

my chemo buddies get a lot of laughs out of our " blowing chunks "stories. you either laugh or cry, right? anyway, we are all "lungers" and all on at least part-time oxygen which dries your nose. strongly suggest a Neti pot to clean out and moisturize nose. ask pharmacist.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders