Anyone had cancer operable?

Please let me know how the surgery went and how well recovery was.

14 replies. Join the discussion

That question have I to...! Here in Norway they don't operate when it is metastaser.

I had my right mid lobe removed in 2007 and also had radiation for tracheal cancer in 2008. So far NED. I always hate the time for check ups but keep praying for good results. Wishing you the best with your desicion.

There are times surgery is done on stage IV and it's usually with a single metastis. What type do you have and where is it? Have you had any other tx other than Tarceva? Where are you at now?
Take care, Judy

After X-ray, CTscan, PETscan, MRI, and biopsy, my Pulmonologist declared that the malignant 30-mm tumor on the outer edge of the lower lobe of my left lung was very operable because of its "beautiful" location. (Imagine that - beautiful! We laughed). However there were smaller nodules of 5mm or less, far too many to count throughout the left and right lungs. A VATS was scheduled. During the procedure, the surgeon had the on-site pathologist do a biopsy on one of the smaller nodules. The biopsied material turned out cancerous. Mets to the lungs! The surgeon stopped the procedure, sewed up the openings, and told my family there was no sense in removing one cancerous mass if numerous cancerous nodules will be left behind for further action. The following morning, an Oncologist visited me in bed and told my family and me that I am on Stage IV NSCLC Adino. Fortunately, he added, "You belong to a sub-group of cancer patients who respond well to Tarceva." Thank God for small favors, I thought. Anyway I'm fine now at six months on Tarceva, as if there never was a diagnosis.

I hope your problem is resolved in your favor. Take care.

Celia

So good to hear about Your histories. I'm so afraid now. I'have a tumor in my right lung lower lobe. It is around 3 cm I think. I have metastazier to my second rib and now I think i have spread to bigger area. Havve so much pain and it og so fast :( I started With Tarceva to days ago after taking Iressa. I'm so afraid these days. What shall I do...?
Thanks for answers !!

I had my lower left lobe removed in November. The mass was small (2mm x 2mm x 3mm) and isolated. I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Non Small Cell Adeno, so was told I was very lucky to be diagnosed early and surgery was the best choice for a full recovery. I won't lie to you, it is a painfull recovery, but not everyone is given the option of surgery. If you have the option, take it. My journey is not over yet, during surgery 13 lymph nodes near the mass were biopsied and 3 nearest the sight had some cancer cells present. My diagnosis was then changed to Stage 2b and chemo was recommended to irradicate any remaining cells that might not have been removed during surgery. Chemo is tough, but you do what you have to. Good luck.

At the time of DX I was thought to be 1a or b. I was very anxious to get the Tumor out! They removed Tumor and left lower lobe. After Surgery they explained they found lymph Nodes were involved and removed.They didn't show on Pet scan. Which made me Stage 3a. If they had they wouldn't have done the surgery and that scares me! Long Story! In Oct. CT showed Pleural Effusion which turned out to be Malgnant. Which makes me Stage IV. If they want to take it out I'd go with that! Lorrie.

I was diagnosed with stage 1a Lung Cancer Squamos cell in June 2012 , was told by my Oncologist to have the surgery it would be my best chance for a -CURE-

I had the surgery (Thoracotomy)performed by a Cardio-Thoracic Surgeon......My Left Lung (upper lobe) was removed and involvement of lymph nodes was found and as many as could be found were removed, my surgeon said I was scraped down to the bone. "very funny, ha ha" and the good news was I was now a stage 3b advanced stage squamos cell Lung Cancer.

No cure for me but hopefully the Chemo followed by 30 treatments of Radiation would put me in remmision. I just finished my Last Radiation on 2/1, Now I have to wait 3 months for the Pet Scan to tell me if I am in remission

I was in the Hospital for 23 days, in ICU for 8 days,the pain was horrible I won't lie about that. I sometimes think if I had known I was a stage 3b I would not have had the surgery but I was going for the CURE now I just hope the surgery bought me some more time I am praying for the Remmision. The recovery was not easy but I believe if the doctors give the option of surgery you should go for it ! ! !

I had the VATS surgery for a wedge resection for a small nodule in my left lung that was too small to biopsy in Jan. 2011. It was cancer, but I was told by my pulmonologist I was cured they got it all. Nine months later stage IV, it had spread to other lung. I was put on chemo Carbo/Alimta/Avastin for 6 treatments, had great response so I was put on maintenance of Alimta/Avastin April 2011 and on my 3 month PET another spot appeared on my thymus gland. My oncologist talked to surgeon and they thought because of my age and relatively good health that they would do surgery to take out, which they did, that was is July 2011. I was then put on taxotere, which I was on for 6 months (infusion every three weeks) when the oncologist asked if I wanted a break since PET was clear. I have been dancing with NED since. The surgeries were painful, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was the less invasive surgery.

Hope this helps! Pat

Mom had first bout with and it was sent into remission for a year with radiation. After the year, it came back as stage 4. Since she was told chemo was only .33 percent chance of working she said no - the odds were not good compared to the chemo treatment itself. Later she was told that chemo was not an option and she basically was sent home to die. We took her for a 2nd opinion at U of W in Wisconsin where she had a lobectomy. She was fine for awhile but now after 2.5 years she is on 24/7 oxygen. The only thing that makes her independent are doses of steroids which she cannot take forever. I'm currently seeking others in the same position that I can connect her with to at least have someone who has been there.

Well cyls and Hilde,
As you can see by these replies, lung cancer comes in many shapes and sizes, it is a very personal journey with regards to diagnosis and treatment. I have been told that surgery is the first and best option, but most people also go with chemo afterwards as a safe guard. And remember so many people don't get diagnosed early enough to be surgery. I was in hospital for a week, do everything especially the exercises from the physio therapist, they are very important for your recovery. I found when the pain was really bad, I "walked through the pain" down the hallways of the ward. When you get discharged from the hospital make sure you take your pain medication at the correct time as was given at hospital. I wasn't sure what time to start them and left it too long and I paid dearly which could have been prevented. When traveling home from hospital in the car have lots of pillows to pack around you for comfort. Listen to what they say and do it, at least try and keep trying. We all have it in us, good luck.

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 a NSCLC in 2009. I recieved chemo,radiation and surgery all in the same year. I am doing very well. I just had a CT scan in Jan. 2013 that has not changed in 3 + years. Take care Pat

I was diagnosed 3A in 2005. I had chemo, radiation, surgery and adjuvant chemo. All scans have been clear since. Hope this helps and praying for you.
Carol

I was originally dxd 1B after an URL. The surgery was a full thoracotomy. I had an epidural for 3 days after surgery and I would highly recommend it for pain management. It was uncomfortable but an easier surgery to recover from than an abdominal. Went back to work in 8 weeks. A year later was restaged at IIIA-B due to a mediastinal lymph node that lit up on a PET/CT. Had chemo/radiation and have been NED since 8/09.

Cheryll

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders