ALTIMA

Can anyone tell me about Altima, my husband has NSCLC and is on Tarceva I have read a little info on this drug, need more....If the Tarceva is not working I need to know where we can turn next....thanks

15 replies. Join the discussion

I'm so sorry to hear about you husband. My sister, also has stage 1V lung cancer. Tarceva has stopped working for her. She just recieved her first dose of Altima. So far she is doing okay. Its only been a day though. She has a very good team of doctors. They would like to keep her on Altima long term if she responds well to it. I have read a few sites were people do experience some pain as a side effect. She does need a B12 shot with this treatment, and she needs to take folic acid. We are hoping this works as well as tarceva did. I hope you could let me know how it works for you husband if he is put on this. I wish your husband and you the best through this unfortunate process. My prayers go out to you.

My husband is on Alimta and he has had 14 treatments so far and it is holding his cancer - no spreading to date. He will continue with this treatment for as long as it is doing the job. He has some swelling in his face and gout in his toe and somewhat tired right after treatment but otherwise this seems to be the treatment of choice for him at the moment. He has no hair loss with this chemo. Matching the drug to the patient is key and I wish you the best in finding that drug for your husband.

kimb,
My husband is on Alimta also. He recieved his fourth treatment .
He has had facial swelling also. At first, the nuerologist thought it was from his silent strokes(TIA). Then he said it was not coming from his brain.
By the time we saw the oncologist the swelling wasn't noticable.
jc1

I have been on alimta for over 8 mos and the cancer is stable. Yes, there are side effects, but there are also some reasonably good days.

Thank you for your reply, what side effects are you getting. I wish you all the luck...

Occasional mild nausea, assorted aches and pains, mainly, though, extreme fatigue. After a few treatments I had to go on an 80% dose that so far is working well.

Except for the first few days, my appetite is good and my weight is stable. Also, no depression which I did have on tarceva and cisplatin.

My husband is having extream fatigue with tarceva and dizzyness.....we get our Pet scan in Dec and just looking into treatments myself...can't trust any doctors....I can give you horror stories....keep fighting...How long has your battle been...?

To those of you who have experienced facial swelling, what have you found that works? My mom who is on Alimta is experiencing it as well from her eyes to her neck. It's really been bothering her. She talked to her primary and she thought it was allergies, but the allergy meds didn't really work. Her oncologist isn't the most helpful man and didn't have much to say. I'd love to know what is working for others.
Thanks

I was on Alimta for about 9 months and had good results with very few side effects. Slight fatigue and that's about it. It was actually one of the easier chemo drugs that I've been on. I had been on Tarceva prior to that (which worked for almost a year). I wish you luck and hope the Alimta works well.

Alitma has been my wonder drug, i have been on and off it for about a year. Side effects were slight nausea for a few days and fatigue but nothing to stop me leading a normal life.
Good luck and let us know how you do
Susie

How many times a month does he get the drug..

Thanks for the info.

That is great, how many time a month do you get the drug...glad it is working...

my husband started on Altima this week and is experiencing chest pains..the tumor is on the right side and thats where he feels the pain .. he felt the drug working as soon as it went thru his body...now he is concerned about the pain...anyone experience this?

Tarceva didn't work for me. But Alimta has. My cat scan showed improvement. I have had just 2 infusions. I do have a heavyness in my chest, coughing, tired, slight queezyness that starts a couple of days after treatment. But after a week or so I feel pretty good. All symptoms go away. The 2nd infusion was easier than the first. I knew it was working. I also knew the tarceva wasn't working and felt much worse when I was on Tarceva.

Hi yorkie...My husband was diagnosed with Stage IV nsclc in August. He is participating in a clinical through our onc and UCLA where he gets infustions of Alimta, Carboplatin and Avastin for 4 treatments, 21 days apart. If the cocktail works, then he will go in Alimta and Avastin infusions as maintenance every 21 days. The Alimta targets nsclc and is supposed to have mild side effects. Because it can decrease WBC and Platelets, he has to take folic acid every morning and get B-12 injections at least every 9 weeks. He also has to take Decadron twice a day for 3 days starting the day before chemo to combat a skin rash that can occur. My husband has had two treatments and there are no signs of rash. From what we were told, Alimta is supposed to have pretty good results. I don't know where you live, but if you have access to this clinical trial, I would give it a try. It is sponsored by Eli Lilly.Good luck to you and your husband. I certainly know what you are going through.

Donna

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders