Alkaline Water

What a great group you have here! I have truly been inspired :-) Curious to know if anyone has done research on the benefits of alkaline water and the many systems available. Any personal experiences and directions to good resources on the subject would be appreciated.

18 replies. Join the discussion

Dear Aurora
Have you tried using the search facility at the top right of this page, underneath the photo of smiling man in glasses?
I typed in 'alkaline water' and it came up with over 3,000 hits! It might be a good starting place, to read over what has already been said in those discussions.
I hope you find the answers you are looking for,
with very best wishes, Carolyn

Thanks so much, Carolyn - I didn't even realize there was a search available - will give that a try!

I just read in your profile that it is your mom that has LC. So sorry to hear this. If she has started treatment, it's always best to check with her doctor and let them know what she's taking including supplement. There are some treatments that need an acidic environment to work properly, so alkaline water may interfere with this. Wishing you all the best. Take care, Judy

Thanks for the information, Judy - she has not started treatment yet - very good to know as I hadn't heard anything of that nature yet.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no reputable evidence that drinking alkaline water has any benefit - and the filtration systems are absurdly expensive. Only the people trying to sell them have "evidence" that they work. I've read some of their literature and plenty of other articles from reputable sources that discount them all.

As I tried to explain in a recent post, regardless of what we eat or drink our body (especially our kidneys) works very hard to keep our blood pH within the very narrow normal range of 7.35 - 7.45. That's it. Any higher or lower is not good and can make you equally ill. When people talk about testing their pH (as the water filter people often do) what they are doing is testing saliva pH or in some cases urine pH. Urine pH varies between 5.0 and 8.0. That's it's normal range. I don't recall saliva's normal but it doesn't really matter. The only one that really counts in our bodies is blood pH. And drinking alkaline water wont affect it.

Those who try to sell the filters and some supplements will tell you that "cancer cannot survive in an acidic environment" so you should use their product to raise your pH. I suppose in one sense they are correct - if they are comparing normal body pH (7.35-7.45) with a totally neutral pH on the pH scale which runs 0 to 14. Lower is acidic. Higher is alkaline. Therefore 7.0 is totally neutral. So then by comparison must we be slightly alkaline? Yes of course (at least our blood must be). If any of us had a blood pH of less than 7 we'd be dead or dying. But the kidneys normally do an excellent job of keeping us in the slightly alkaline place of our normal range. You could drink a glass of pure lemon juice (which is VERY acidic) if you wanted and though it might lower the pH of your urine, it will have little or no effect on your blood. By the same tolken you could drink a bottle of antacid (very alkaline) and again, it might affect the pH of your urine but will have little to no effect on your blood. This is actually a good thing because we'd all have killed ourselves long ago if we could change the pH of our bodies so easily by what we eat or drink.

Unfortunately this also means that trying to change your pH to fight the cancer isn't going to work. Will it hurt you to drink special water or take supplements? Probably not - although you should always inform your oncologist about what you are doing because sometimes there are possible interactions with your other medications (which could end up hurting you). Otherwise the only real harm will be to your bank account.

Sorry but I feel compelled to try to educate when I see conversation threads like this one.

S

Oh, my definition of "bad news" recently rec'd a major overhaul - so this didn't even register on that scale. Thanks so much for the information - we know there is no magic serum, but were hopeful that the alkaline diet/water would give her system a little boost to do what it needs to do.

The only thing I can add is something that recently happened to me. I had esophageal spasms (nothing, not even tap water was making it past my breast bone, it all came right back up.) After 2 days/nights of no food or water I was feeling dehydrated...asked my kids to take me to the local springs...figured maybe it would seep into my pores. Well it did feel good and I was able to make it another day. Day 3, I was on the way to the Emergency room, I asked the kids to stop for some ice chips. My Daughter brought out two kinds of water. I reluctantly tried this soft water she was bragging about and 1 sip, 2 sip, and the bottle was empty (pint) well that water contained silica, ph level of 7.5 and other things. I tried the other water and it came back up!! so, if you are having troubles keeping stuff down I vote for Fiji Water....for me it saved me.....no more hallucinations. I waited around the hospital for 6 hours and hospice in the mean time had called in a script for 80mg prilosec...it took a couple tries but it worked. I said I would leave the hospital if I could drink a frozen snickers mocha, as long as they hadn't called me yet. Hahahaha, I went home and went down to 40mg...and am doing fine. The spasms were brought on by stress and depression all of which I have in overload. I already take wellbutrin and xanax....well in my environment it doesn't always work. But doing good again. YAY!! oh and now I am back to my well water. But I say Fiji Water is good for what ails you!
Peace, Love and Prayers~
Mari :)

Dear Aurora,
I'm not so sure about this, but one thing that I know, since I've diagnosed as cancer patient, my husband - with recommendations of some friends in Asia, got me special water to drink, in US - my son will get me Fiji water for my daily drink, and evian water in Asia (since hard to find Fiji), and I had almost similar experience with Mari, if I got the low ph water.
By the way, I give up all kind drink and only take still water between Fiji and evian.
Love - Teresa

Smart water is good, as it has electrolytes which are depleted during chemo and the stress that goes with it. Using sea salt and not table salt. Limiting dairy products. Take care, Judy

I have recently found PROPEL, water fortified with electrolytes etc. I can easily swallow it and it doesn't leave an aftertaste such as Gatorade.

Actually lemon in water is alkaline forming. I tested the ph strip. I also tested bottles of that expensive kangen water brought by friends. it was no different from any bottled water.
For the past 2 yrs, I give Rene coconut water. I swear by coconut water. has much higher electrolytes than gatorade or any other kind. but i don't get the ones from the can. i really open a young coconut from the oriental store. Dr. Oz had a recent segment on this.

Can't say if it helps or not but I figure it can't hurt. I buy Alka Pure Premium Natural Alkaline Drinking
Water on Amazon.com. My cousin tried to sell me the machine but I decided to buy the water and try it first. It costs $39.99 for one shipment of 24 bottles. (I had tried another brand that came in cases of 12 but always had trouble with damage in delivery. These were soft bottles that could leak). So far, I've had no trouble with delivery of the Alka Pure and I am hoping it helps.

Hi,

My doctor told me the same information as Shargle wrote.
Our body will not allow a wide range in ph. All of our organs would stop working if we had a wide range. Linda

Thanks for all of the feedback. I found this thread on CancerGrace too that supports what you said http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php?topic=7288.0

Sounds like those who enjoy or find the filtered water easier to take don't need to worry though as it seems it would take large quantities to adjust levels in any case.

The body works very hard to keep the ph in balance ,this is true, you can not change the ph balance in the blood by the foods you eat or the alkaline water you drink...the alkaline acts as a buffer to buffer the acid in the body and although the ph balance does stay the same in a narrow range of 7.35 to 7.45 (I have also read 7.3)meaning slightly more alkaline in the human blood..you can however, keep the body "replenished" by the foods you eat that are high alkaline.When you eat foods more acidic it makes sense that the body has to pull from the bones(calcium) and other organs to maintain this ph balance by buffering the acid, working harder to do so,and when something works harder ..it wears out faster. Keeping a diet of high alkaline foods helps keep you healthier in the sense that you have a "reserve"..in the other words the "well" doesn`t run dry and the body doesn`t have to work so hard to maintain the ph balance ...which it is going to do this through a process of homestasis : meaning keeping a proper stability and balance of a an organism.
Why not help the body out by be eating healthy foods that are more alkaline...keeping your bones and other organs stronger and healthier so the body can do it`s job easier.
Does this make any sense to you ??? I`ve read alot about this and this is my understanding.

That definitely makes a lot of sense to me and the high alkaline foods are also healthy and high in antioxidants so it sounds like one of those can only help the body do it's job kind of things to me. Thanks!

This website has a wealth of info beyond the subject of alkaline/cancer:
http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/

You know- thank you Shargl for sharing that ph-balance information because about a month ago I was at a health food grocery store and a man told me (who by the way was selling a plum extract for $20- very small bottle) with your ph-balance at a certain level (of course more alkaline than acidic) cancer cannot grow and I believed him and was looking for healthy alternatives to my lung cancer! But now that you informed me that just because something is more alkaline to the body does not mean that it balances your blood alkaline because the kidneys will automatically do it for you- so thank you!!!!!! This is the best web site to come to when you really need to know answers on cancer or anything- Thank you!!! Fran

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders