albuterol causing mom to be shakey

I asked Mom's primary care doc about a nebulizer to help her breathing. She asked if she could still take Spiriva, and he said "sure, as long as it's just albuterol in the nebulizer."

Well, she tried it, became ill and had a fever, wouldn't use it for about a week. Then she started it again, used it for about four days, but said that it makes her feel jittery and nervous inside "like her insides will shake apart." Her hands do shake very badly all day long after just one treatment in the morning. She said it helps her breathe better, but she can't stand the side effect, and so has discontinued using it.

Does anyone have experience with other medications for nebulizer that are ok to use while on Spiriva (she uses it once daily). I really want to get her relief for SOB, but am not sure what to ask for.

Thanks so much for any help!!!

Love and Prayers to all,
Betsy

6 replies. Join the discussion

Betsy, she should see a pulmonologist. They'd know what she needs to help with her breathing.
Take care, Judy

My mom has the same side affect and doesn't like it also but it is very helpful to her condition .. A thing we tried is spreading the treatment out .. A little at a time

Betsy,
My Dad had albuterol in a nebulizer for COPD and did have some of the same symptoms you describe. He was supposed to have the nebulizer and albuerol treatment 4 times a day but the night time one used to keep him awake. I spoke to his doctor and he said to skip it and just take it 3 times a day unless he was having a breathing issue.

I really think you should speak to the doctor about it as opposed to Mom just not taking it. There are other meds that can be used and may not bother her.
Sure hope it helps.
Marylou ♥

I don't pretend to be an expert on this issue. I have been on the hand held albuterol (two puffs four times per day), Spririva one puff per day and Advair twice per day.

When I have used the nebulizor I fid it difficult to use, although effective in helping me breathe better.

I have been on the current use of the three medicaltions now for a number of years and while I would like to have more relief, my Pulmonologist feels I am on the gold standard of treatment. I do notice a difference when I miss one of the medications ( I have a noticeable increase in the difficulty with breathing).

HighlandGuy

I don't pretend to be an expert on this issue. I have been on the hand held albuterol (two puffs four times per day), Spririva one puff per day and Advair twice per day.

When I have used the nebulizor I fid it difficult to use, although effective in helping me breathe better.

I have been on the current use of the three medicaltions now for a number of years and while I would like to have more relief, my Pulmonologist feels I am on the gold standard of treatment. I do notice a difference when I miss one of the medications ( I have a noticeable increase in the difficulty with breathing).

HighlandGuy

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply. The Albuterol definitely did help Mom with her breathing.

I mentioned to her several times about spreading the treatments out or just doing a part of a treatment to see how that goes (partial dose?). Maybe she will try it...she is a wonderful woman, but oh boy, is she ever stubborn sometimes !

Judy, thank you. You are right, of course, she does need a pulmonologist, which is another thing she has been very stubborn about up to this point. Last night, she sort of sounded like she's ready to make the trip. There is a recommended one 1 hour away, but he has a very long wait time, so she has not wanted to go back. I did find one closer (40 min), but when I checked him out online, there were some alarming patient reports on him, so I am loathe to try him. Sad to live in this area sometimes!

Thanks again, I will work on this with Mom some more.
Betsy

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders