Agent Orange realted Lung Cancer

I have read a number of posts from 2008, 2009 about other Viet Vets who were suffering from lung cancers and had filed for service connected compensation. Has anyone been granted compensation? My hubby was diagnosed with it. After 6 months of he hawing around the VA sent him to the only VA facility that could remove the lung and provide SCIU- the lung was removed. He has exam with their comp doctors months ago but no word on the case. Our service rep cannot even find anythng out from them.

14 replies. Join the discussion

Attorneys in our area in New York are drumming up business via television commercials for patients with lung cancer who have been in the armed forces.
Good luck,
Sandy

Cecil wrote a post "Veitnam Vets and Cancer," last December. Here is the link http://www.inspire.com/groups/lung-cancer-survivors/discussion/vietnam-vets -and-cancer/. He has guided me through the process.

It can be an easy process or one that takes some time depending on how good records are. I sent you a friend request to tell you what we did.

Gloria

Glo is a good source.Another woman got help here from other vets and her husband was granted it.I believe a date of service was missing or something.I will pray but her name is on the tip of my tongue.I will post it if she doesn't answer 1st.Thank your husband for me for his service,AndiB

Lung cancer is one of the diseases that is pretty automatically accepted as Agent Orange Related.
If you haven't been to any of the web sites to
check out what needs to be done, they are pretty readily available. I was in RVN 1971 - 1972 so I've stayed up on all things Agent Orange related. I just
have to pull my notes. Email me at charlespiercey@live.com and I will forward to you.

Start here: A Faster Track for Agent Orange Claims:

http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/?p=477

War related injury and illness study center FAQ:

http://www.warrelatedillness.va.gov/WARRELATEDILLNESS/faqs.asp

VA's guide on Agent Orange Claims:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/benefits/herbicide/AOno3.htm

Diseases associated with Agent Orange:

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/diseases.asp#veterans

You will find Lung Cancer on ths list under Respiratory
illnesses.

Veterans' Diseases Associated with Agent Orange Exposure
Veterans may be eligible for disability compensation and health care benefits for diseases that VA has recognized as associated with exposure to Agent Orange and other herbicides.

Surviving spouses, children and dependent parents of Veterans who were exposed to Agent Orange and died as the result of diseases associated with Agent Orange may be eligible for survivors' benefits.

File for assistance through your congress person or senator. They can expedite any issues you have with federal agencies. Usually you can do this online. Lung cancer is an automatic presumptive disease and should not take that long to get an approval. I know they(the VA) are backlogged with cases but this should not be put on a back burner it should take precedence over some cases that are not as urgent.

AndiB,
You thinking about me? We {hubby} filed back in June of 2008. Hubby went to Baltimore this past Oct. before the DRO {decision review officer} She put him through for the C&P @ the VA in Nov.2010. We called Baltimore this month an said it could be 6 months. So my friend,we are still waiting. Baltimore was very helpful. He helped hubby prove he was over there in VN. Its a long process. Cecil, who comes here {although I havent seen him around here for quite some time} was also a big help for me an hubby. Like KWZ said,we got our Congressman involved an I believe it really speeded up the process.But our rep encouraged us to do so. If you had the exams done,it shouldnt be long. All we know now is that hubby is in the computer {system} Waiting to hear the news...GOOD LUCK! Please thank your hubby for serving!
God Bless
Beansie~

Sorry you've had such a tough time with the VA.
I used VA reps from both the state and my home county and they were good folks but tended to drop the ball.Some things just never reached the VA.The VA has a regional office in Nashville(25 miles) that takes walk-ins so I went stright to them and it was a breeze.I've been receiving a good check since then.

I know there is a big VA office in Philly.Google to see if there is a closer one.And tell your husband we're pulling for him.

Beansie,yes it was you.Glad you made progress,I thought you all were through.Thanks for answering Robinadairs post here.I still pray for you both and like to see any posts you make,How is your hubby,AndiB

You need a new rep! Lung cancer is automatic for disability. My husband had a rep from the Order of the Purple heart - did all the paperwork, etc. Only took a couple months. He gets 100% disability. He was in Vietnam twice - 1965 and 1970. All you need is proof you were there and exam at the VA.
ElaineNY

Dear AndiB,
Your so sweet.Thank-You for the prayers.Hubby had a stable CT of chest,our anniversary,his Birthday...Things are good.Thank-You for asking...Just waiting for the letter........Phew,this is killing me.I just want to be home with him.Hes all alone during the day.I hate leaving him everyday.But,if I didnt,we would be out in the street.I feel it coming.Gods favor.
Take care my friend,
Beansie~

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders