Adenocarcinoma - remission

Hi, my name is Diane and last August I was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer. I had radiotherapy on my spine (metastasis on 2 vertabraes) and on my lung. I was given one year to live. Then I went on chemo, carboplatin and gemzar. Last Thursday I had a catscan and the cancer in my lung is all gone. Doc says I am in remission. What a relief. I believe that prayers had a lot to do with it. I will pray for all of you. Never lose hope and faith in the Lord. God Bless you all.

29 replies. Join the discussion

Thank you so much

Not strong enough to dance yet, but it will come... Thank you so much!!!

Thak you!!

Hi! I had one session (palliative) of radiotherapy on my 2 vertabraes and lung. About 3 weeks later they started chemo. Carboplatin and Gemzar the first session and 8 days later Gemzar only. Then I would get 2 weeks off chemo. then it would start again, carbo and gemzar and 8 days later gemzar only. After those 2 cycles i asked my oncologist for a catscan, and you know what, the tumot in my lung had shrunk by 75 %. Then we continued with the same treatment for 6 nire cycles, and the tumor in my lung was all gone, and let me tell you it was a big one. They had given me 1 year to live. Pray and don't lose hope. I will pray for you.

Sorry about the typing errors, but i am still tired from all the chemo, i had to have blood transfusion last Friday, my hemoglobin was so low but i am getting better bit by bit, one day at a time.

Hi Adeno Idunno! I still feel tired but I am mobile, always was during treatment, thats because chemo kills all your cells, the good ones and the bad ones, so I had 2 blood transfusion to put me back on my feet. I don't understand why you are only getting carboplatin and no gemzar. If you check the American Cancer Society site, under adenocarcinoma treatment you will see that the standard tratment is carboplatin with gemzar. Radiotherapy was given to me at first on my spine as a palliative treatment for pain (although I had no pain) and on my lung to shrink the tumor. After 2 sessions of chemo the tumor had shrunk by 75%. If you have more questions dont hesitate to ask me. God Bless you!!

Thanks for your reply ! 75% shrinkage after 2 chemo sessions is an incredible result. I'm not on Gemzar .... They're giving me Taxol and Avastin alongside Carboplatin. Perhaps I should request Gemzar instead on Taxol? I'm going to have a CT scan after the 3rd Chemo so if poor results I guess it makes sense to switch. Ive been doing well on the chemo but I don't know if it's working or not because I had no real symptoms at diagnosis and still don't have any. The tumor in my lung was 1.4cm but the secondaries (liver, bone, lymph) were bigger and there were multiple ones. Do you think the radiotherapy contributed more to the shrinkage or was it the chemo? I guess they can't tell you whether the carboplatin was more effective or whether it was the Gemzar? Honestly I've read lots of stories and cases and to get 75% in 2 sessions is mindblowing... Well done you!!

Diane ~ GREAT NEWS....thanks for sharing, you have inspired me to continue my battle, I just learned I have mets to my liver & TARCEVA did not work. Will have to decide on a "3rd" line chemo......

Thank-you.....you will be in my prayers.....
(((((HUGS)))))) Michele & Rocco

Amazing KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!! Lisa

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders