7mm nodule

Today I had to have a CT scan done for some broken vertebra in my back from an injury i had 3 months ago, but when i got my report back it made mention of a 7 mm noncalcified nodule at the left lung base posteriorly. Then a little further down i noticed it said 7 mm indeterminate nodule left lung base imcompletly imaged. My questions are as follows.

1. what exactly is a non calcified nodule
2. could the image be scar tissue from a trauma i had recieved 3 months ago or another trauma i had 2o yrs ago
3. what can you recomend i do for my next step as this is so very new to me.
4. how does this happen
5. what are the risk/dangers in this.
6. how fast does this type of nodule grow?
7. if it was there shouldnt the tests they did for my trauma show if it there at that time

Edited June 4, 2009 at 11:44 am

13 replies. Join the discussion

I know many people who have had nodules that are small that are nothing. I would try to take a deep breath and step back as I don't see anything that sounds like cancer in what you are saying.

Your doctors will advise you as to the options you have. Some just wait and take another CT after a few months, some biopsy. There are many different approaches.

I really would suggest that you try not to think in terms of cancer as it is not at all confirmed with what you have said.

Nodules in the lung could be as a result of infection such as bronchitis or pneumonia.They appear as nodules on the C-Scan but are not cancer.Some non-cancerous nodules may have been present on the lung for many years.

Thank you Marion and bnewmk for replying. i am very scared about this, especially after doing some research and seeing what they are and what they could become. i have an appt with my dr in a little bit to go over it with him and pray that it is nothing. i had some trauma 3 months ago and also severe trauma 20 yrs ago in that area so im hoping that its just scar tissue from that.
thanks again
Don

I had a 13 mm nodule and all other tests were negative. Mine was found by accident when I had a scan for something else. My chest x-rays were clear. We watched nodule for almost one year and it did not change but i decided to remove it. It was cancer..early stage BAC.My advice is to go to a Pulmonologist and do a repeat CT scan, PET scan. Are you a former smoker? hate to ask that question but it does make a difference even though i did not smoke and still got LC.

I'll be sending warm thoughts your way. The anxiety is excrutiating- I know. Let us know how it goes.

had nodules for many years, was followed up yearly with cat scans. was a long time smoker. last year developed a new one different according to the doctors, had surgery but i will always wonder if it was necessary and i also think about what if i had not had surgery; the consequences!

i to was a smoker for 23 yrs. that has got me worried. i recently quit, 95 days ago to be exact because i did not want to have problems later on in life, i am 43 yrs old and want to be healthy as i get older. i am praying that this turns out to be nothing but i cant help but to think what if, so much so that it has messed with my head bad. i am trying to be positive about it and hearing some of your stories helps me to realize that it may be nothing. i am going to have another scan in a month or 2 to see if it has grown, am praying it stays the same size and will be monitoring it after that. the dr said it could be a number of things and to not be to worried as of yet but when the potential for something like this is there its hard not to think about it. i appreciate all of your input as this is a very hard thing to deal with so i say THANK YOU ALL for your support and input. i will keep this in my favorites as i want to keep everyone informed.
Thank you again
Don

that is how mine, and many other similar cases of nsclc (particularly adenocarcinoma) first came to light. Tread carefully - one misstep you may end up ...
contact me if you wish, same id at gmail

I am dealing with the same thing as you. My nodule is 4x5. I just had a repeat CT and for some reason it didn't show up. The oncologist said it's the way the CT slices the images and that I have to have another CT in a month. From what I have read and researched these are for sure something that has to be watched very carefully as they are usually pre-cancerous. So you and will be playing the watch and wait and worry game. I will be praying for you and thinking good thoughts for you.

Warm hugs,

Peggy

yes i feel the same way Peggy, to sit here and wonder everyday that goes by is gut wrenching. the watch, wait and worry game is so hard. i have to hope for the best and pray that it all is nothing but scar tissue from injuries or illnesses ive had but the fact that its there is driving me up the wall. Thank you for your prayers and i will surely keep you in mine as well. this is a very difficult time, the uncertainty of everything, not knowing, wondering waiting and everything else that goes along with it is tough.
hhhdai i am taking your advice, i will not just sit and idolly let this happen. i am doing what i can for now, but alot of it is that i just have to wait and pray for the best. i have researched it alot since i stumbled across the fact that i had it as it was found during a test for my broken vertebra and i was never even told about it. im glad i took the iniative to research it. then i find that it was spotted 3 months ago as well and again i was never told about it. i obtained my medical records and as i read i find that it had been there at that time and said should be followed up on but no one told me about it. i am lucky i found out now and hoping it turns out to me nothing but scared nonetheless.
Thank you for your input , i appreciate it

This goes to show us that we have to be our own advocates because if we don't we will "slip" through the cracks! To know that you had this and no one says anything goes to show you that if you don't stay on top of it and pester about it and watch it no one else will. I do have a great oncologist who is a straight shooter and is very thorough. I have to hope that he will do right by me. I did ask him to treat me as he would one of his own loved ones. I figure if I can put it in that light it might register a little more. I figured it can't hurt. I have had to go through so much uncertainty since Feb. 19th when it was found and now I also have "significant ground glass" that is there along with the nodule. So Thursday of next week I meet with the pulmonologist for her to take a turn to give some input on what this is all about. I have had chest pain so they don't know if its from the heart or the lungs. I have diffuse systemic scleroderma so all of these health happenings are part of the disease. I am sincere when I say I will pray for you. We are in this together and we will get each other through it..............good or bad news.................

Warm hugs,
Peggy

Thank you so much Peggy, i too am sincere when i say i will also keep you in my prayers. i agree with you about keeping up on things, and pushing the issue to people to make sure we dont slip thru the cracks. i hope you will get some good news when you talk to your next person and that all this can be dealt with quickly and sucessfully. as i read over my hospital records from 3 months ago i have found several mentions of it but only on 1 page that i just came across it states the size. in febuary it was 8mm and 2 days ago it was 7mm. not much of a change but being smaller instead of bigger is a plus. this gives the drs something to compare to when have my next scan done in a month or 2.
thank you again for your prayers and be asured that you are in mine as well.
Thank you
Don

i just wanted to update some info on my nodule. i obtained my medical records from 3 months ago when i had fallen and broke 5 ribs, 5 cracked vertebra, collar bone and collapsed a lung, my right one. i found out by reading thru my records that this 7mm nodule i have, the one no one bothered to tell me about during a C T scan for my vertebra was in fact present 3 months ago as well. again no one felt it necessary to tell me about it then either, not sure why but its mentioned on several pages of my records from the 5 days i was in the hospital after my fall and on one page it says that it was actually 8 mm big. ok so here we are 3 months later and its 7mm. i am taking it as a blessing in disguise, the fact that it didnt say it was 1mm then grown to 7mm in 3 months and actually has gotten 1mm smaller. i know they grow and shrink so i am hopeful that it is from a trauma i had when my truck fell on me, crushing me 20 yrs ago. only time will tell and i will follow up with another CT scan in a few months..
just thought it was interesting that something that could be that significant could be held from me, what if.......well dont even want to go there. thank for your thoughts and prayers and remember that you are in mine as well
thanks
Don

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders