3rd Round of Chemo/nausea

Hello everybody, as far as my last discussion which was my introduction to this site which I am still happy to be apart of :) well I needed to give everybody an update and also ask those for help on how to care for my nausea that just doesn't seem to go away :(...Well just to give you a quick run down on me for those who don't know...I have been diagnosed with limited small cell lung cancer at the end of june...i am to receive 6 cycles of chemo and just went through my third round of chemo this past monday-wednesday. I am to have chemo 3 days in a row every three weeks for 6 cycles. My first chemo session it wasn't so bad with minimal side effects only one day of vomiting and nausea...i did lose my hair by my second session which ended up with me in the hospital with a high fever for two days and nausea...well on my third past session the nausea just has not stopped since i received my treatment i feel ill, constipated, nausea nausea nausea, vomiting, and lots of phlegm...can anybody give any pointers on how to get my energy and rid of this nausea as it does not allow me to do anything...i am 31 years old with two small kids ages 2 and 3 years old...i am going for my PET Scan on wednesday which will determine if the chemo is actually working so i am anxious and very positive but just hate the side effect feelings...i still feel pain so i am a bit nervous that there is no change but hoping to get some good or at least real feedback...if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask anything as i am an open book :) thanks for your help in advance.

17 replies. Join the discussion

I am sorry you are having such bad side effects with the chemo. It must really be hard with 2 small children. What are they giving you for the nausea? Zofran worked well for me. They also gave me lots of pre chemo IV meds to try and prevent if from happening. I did not have a lot of problems with nausea, but my friend that does usually goes for an IV of fluids the day after the chemo. I see yours is over a 3 day period. Can they give you extra fluids and anti nausea meds IV before they send you home. Ginger is supposed to be good for nausea also. It comes in solid form like a candy/cough drop size. Ginger tea also.
Constipation is still a problem for me. I take a stool softner daily, lots of fluids, and psyllium husk tablets daily. Miralax a day before and for the few days while doing the chemo can help. For awhile, I needed it twice a day. Warm prune juice, Senna hot tea, and yogurt/acidophyllis can help too.
The pain can also be just a side effect of the chemo. If you are taking pain meds like I do, they too can cause the constipation problems. I pray for good scan results for you!!

Yes, i take the zofran and also took the amends during my treatment and also one allied demerol, but they all don't seem to help...this is the worst week of side effects and on top of all the nausea meds they have me on i also have me on the fentanyl patch and oxycodone which doesn't seem to help cause I'm still in pain...im curious, shouldn't my pain be going away??? I am currently taking two types of chemo...on day one is they give me cisplatin which usually lasts about an hour and a half then on day two i get the etoposide for 3 hours and again with the cisplatin for day 3 for one hour...I could be wrong on these two drugs on there rotations but on day two they do give me a large amount of saline but is that the same to keep me hydrated? well this week my nausea started from day two and has not gotten better everything i see, smell, and taste makes me sick :( even water gives me a bit of a gag reflex...i drink ginger ale and that isn't helping much it leaves a nasty feeling in my chest and my throat as well as mostly everything I eat...my mother has been telling me about the ginger and now you mention it so i am going to look into tomorrow, it can't help to not try it :) thank you so much for your response.

Correction: the nausea meds they gave me was not demerol ooops its called dexamethasone sorry for the confusion

I have not taken those 2 chemo drugs but I know my chemo made me very sore. The nausea may get worse with each cycle as the effects are cumulative and seem to get worse with each one. Does you Dr know how much nausea you are having? If zofran and dexamethasone don't help, some order phenergan. That can make you very sleepy/tired. You may still need more saline/fluids than you are getting. Dehydration will make you feel tired and won't help the nausea. I would call my Dr/ nurse and let them know your pain/nausea/fluid intake. I was told to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. Maybe your pain med is causing some nausea and is not effective. Have they tried changing that? Good luck!!

Ativan helped my nausea. It was prescribed for me for that reason in addition to dexamethasone and zofran. We continued its use for the anti anxiety purposes.

my mom was given zofran, ativan, and dexamethasone nothing helped it was so frustrating to see and for her to go thru. She was on citsplatin as well i hear that drug is horrible meaning nausea problem. The only thing that helped was time. She did the last dose of chemo and it took at least 2 weeks for the nausea to subside. Terrible! I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks everybody after almost a week and a half in...the nausea has finally given up :) with this morning being the last time i vomited...thank god! Well i am seeing a pattern that with every treatment the nausea only gets worse and last longer so you might be right Donnainct ...it probably only gets better with time cause we have tried everything :( but happy its over finally was able to eat and it stay down woohoo....only thing i can't do yet is change my kids diapers but looks like i will b getting there soon since smells are very sensitive as well :) thanks to everybody for your insight and help

Did they say what the pain is caused from, is the tumor pushing on something that is causing the pain? If so, it will take the tumor shrinking a certain amount before the pain would ease off.
It is vital that you drink lots of water with chemo drugs, keep flushing it out of your body. My hubby also drank several bottles each day during chemo and never had any issues with nausea, not sure why the drugs are not working for you, but you for sure need to discuss the nausea and pain with the Dr., they don't want you losing weight and you will if you are nauseated. Stay on top of your issues so they can be controlled.
Wishing you a better outcome with your next round of chemo. I believe I read somwhere that the success rate of SCLC limited patients response to first line chemo is about 75% so that is a good rate and hopefully then you can remain NED.

As luck would have it with every chemo and his was 3 days every 3 wks he got sicker and weaker.He was also doing daily rads.It was bad but he got though it with the Ned results.
He lost 50 lbs and a yr later has only gained 22 back,we are still working on that.
Are you doing radiation also?
Hope you have alot of help with those babies.
You can do this!!!
Sorry if this sounded negative but I believe in tell the truth of our journey and hope you have a better one.
May God bless you and your family'

KIT now worries i love the truth :) it sounds like your husband went through the same amount of treatment as I do...but I have not received radiation yet...i just came back today from a PET Scan to see if Chemo is working and if the fluids in my lung has evaporated...they are saying that once i do start radiation that I will have to go for twice a day from monday thru friday for 6-7 weeks...i agree i feel that with every chemo treatment the side effects only get worse and i do drink a lot of fluids well i was until this week because drinking a lot makes me want to vomit...i feel like i am the opposite as everybody else as I am gaining weight instead of losing strange as it may be but first they told me to gain as much as possible but now they are telling me to ease on the gaining since they see me not losing as much as they thought i was going to lose lol sucks cause before all this i actually lost a total of 80 lbs woohoo and was close to my goal to now have cancer and gained back 20 lbs :( boooo lol well i am keeping positive and yes to answer your question luvhubby i do have the tumor wrapped around my pulmonary vein which is what is causing the pain and they told me that this is the reason for the pain...they are aware of my pain and my nausea but someone on this blog mentioned to me about maybe going in an extra day just for hydration so i will mention that on my next appointment....as for the pain i have pain meds such as oxycodine and fentnyl patch I'm sure i spelled that wrong lol...but the nausea has gone away as of yesterday and the only vomiting that i have is mostly phlegm not anything that i am digesting so i find that just as strange as well.

Try drinking lots of green tea with honey.

It's tough, because the effects of chemo are cumulative meaning it is likely to get worse with each treatment. You might ask your onc if you can change the cisplatin for carboplatin. My understanding is that the side effects are better and it has comparable efficacy. My mom got carbo/etoposide for her SCLC and barely had any nausea during her treatments. I hope your PET scan brings good news!
Margie

Ginger tea and ginger ale help with nausea.

Switching to carboplatin from cisplatin was the answer for me - I was absolutely miserable during my first few days of chemo, but once I switched to carboplatin I was a new person. I did have some nausea problems until I started taking the zofran and ativan pills together (i.e., at the same time). Also, I always went in for fluids on the day after 3 days of chemo. Sorry I have no suggestions for the pain. I'm sure this will get better for you - hang in there!

My first guess on your severe nausea would be the fentanyl patch. Ask about using the medication called Kytril (sp) that really helped my step father. Also severe constipation that is caused from the chemo can add to the nausea. They make some fiber gummies that can help with that.

Hang in there this site is an awesome place! Hugs to you and your babies!

If your nausea is not being controlled contact your oncologist right away so that they can work on getting the situation corrected.

I didn't experience the nausea that you did, in fact I stopped taking the amends & dexomthasone at home when I was supposed to because of the severe constipation they caused me & was lucky enough to do ok without them... What works for one doesn't always work for others. Talk with your Dr they don't always hear what we're saying so say it as many times as it takes! Good luck to you!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Photo of Dave Grant

The Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community has provided support for patients, caregivers, families and friends since 2006. We welcome over 600 new members every month in the fight against lung cancer.

ALK mutations and lung cancer

Join the discussion about ALK mutations and lung cancer

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders