Reverse shoulder replacement

Shoulder. How to prevent scar tissue formation after reverse shoulder replacement

23 replies. Join the discussion

Not sure what you are asking?

Being a guy, a scar on my shoulder is nothing. But, for what it's worth, the scar I have from my reverse replacement is really small and not that hard to look at. Have you had the surgery? I hope this is your only worry. If it is, your attitude is wonderful.

Had the surgery and it dislocated as there was massive scar tissue buildup. So had a new ball and socket put in. Want to avoid scar buildup again so I can finally heal after 7 surgeries

So sorry to hear of your problems. There is really no way to avoid or stop it. I've had 6 shoulder surgeries, including the reverse, and it has been a problem since the first. The only way to avoid scar is to avoid surgery, unfortunately.

laurry, she is talking about internal scarring rather than the exterior scar.

Some rehab exercises are meant to help avoid scar tissue buildup so doing them religiously, especially early on, can make a big difference. My doc had me out of my sling as soon as I left the hospital and had me doing 3 passive exercises (just my husband moving my arm slowly and gently 3 times for each of the 3 movements) for the first 6 weeks. By then end of 8 weeks I could lift my arm to nearly straight up and I believe that was because the passive movement reduced scar tissue buildup. I'm no doc but this is my understanding. Hope you have a good result this time around!

With my reverse, it was 2 or 3 weeks before I took it out of the sling and started with very mild dangling exercises and built up to what I now do every day for about 12 minutes. Doing the p.t every day the way we are told is a must. I had a good surgeon and because I don't know the 1st thing about shoulder surgery, I do everything he tells me to do. Why wouldn't I? I'm almost 2 years down the road and am so glad I had it done. Chrissy, best of luck to you. I hope this one works well. You and Misty have been through way too much.

Actually bookcrazzzys doc is the one who explained the issues of scarring to me. You can work with it but can't stop it.

oh darn, I lost my comment once again...it happens more than I like. It gets old and I hate listening to myself, repeat, let alone time and effort takes the spontaneity out of my one side conversation. Well, my shoulder are with need of attention, but I'm putting off the surgery because it could get worse? Rotary Cuff, spur, combination hampers my range of motion. My need to explain " the side effects " of too much steroids Prednisone will go without saying. AVN " dead bones " started five years into the post liver transplant years ago. I have to date, my left hip " instability " problem, from the bilateral hip replacements, my left knee of all the replacements, " do overs " , the knee hasn't had the need for attention. Dislocations happen, often, but another left hip would be redundant!!LOL ( the scarring etc ) would, could be problematic in and of itself..Leave it out of discretion. I have a monster adhip brace to contend with after a dislocation...4 months at a time.! Yikes, I've gone on so. My liver transplant was the beginning of my journey. I accept the challenge for the exchange of my Liver. My quality of life is as good as I make it daily. Twenty three, yes, 23 years later, I'm grateful for my 2nd Birthday, 1990 was so long ago, " yesterday " with my continuous bone, joint pain, every morning. I'm alive, and well, " content vs happy " that's attitude, with gratitude. God's Will, Belief, Faith, Hope is eternal..

Thanks for advice. Will keep posting.

Diehard, love the "content vs. happy" "attitude w gratitude"! Sorry you have suffered so much!

Bk, did the surgeon tell you to massage your scar after the surgery? Wouldn't that help also?

That may help immediately below the incision, but the scar that develops inside the joint cannot be massaged away. Every surgery I had included extra charges for the long time needed to remove the scar tissue within and between each level, nook and cranny. Each surgery caused the scarring to accelerate, almost like the body overreacting to the insult. It is a natural process gone overboard in some people. Not everyone has this problem but for some unlucky souls, each surgery makes it worse (moi).

Bev, no he didn't tell me to massage it. But the movements he had my husband do (and that started the second day after surgery) got me moving the arm in a specific way twice a day and I strongly believe that it is one of the reasons I gained so much mobility so quickly. Other factors are that I had a q-block that was set to the lowest setting and I gave myself a "bolus" before each session with my husband for the first week or so. That really helped me get going with the movements. Also, I had a hot tub that I got into for 10 minutes before each session and I believe that also helped. I just think that movement, the earlier the better, helps with inhibiting scar tissue growth but like I said, I'm no doc and I would never recommend that anyone do anything other than what their surgeon tells them to do.

Misty, every time I hear parts of your story, even ones I know quite well, I am always amazed at what you have had to go through. You have my sympathy and admiration. You are one strong chick!

i was told after b.c. surgery not to use a hot tub...geesh. i'd love to get in one. also the urologist told me no tub baths because i get UTI's.

I don 't think a hot tub would be a problem once the scar is completely healed. I always got 10 minutes of heat before each PT session.

Sorry I left out some info. I didn't use the hot tub until the incision healed and my staples were removed. Before that, I used 2 heating pads - one on front and one on back.

Bev, I would talk to the urologist again. If it is a private hot tub used just by you (and maybe your dh once in a while) and you maintain it properly, there is very little risk of UTI. You would need to keep the kids and grandkids away from it though. The more people, the higher the risk. I've had a hot tub for 20+ years and have never gotten a UTI from it even with using it at least once every day and sometimes up to 4 times in one day lol. I would never get in a public hot tub - ever!

Well the breast cancer surgeon, Dr. Barbara Smith, at MGH, said no hot tubs as that could cause lymph nodes to swell. also no vacuum cleaning (well DH took over that job anyway when he retired four months before my b.c. diagnosis)...(wish he hadn't though cuz he just never gets into the nooks and crannys). I guess repetitive motion with a little weight couldn't have been great for lymph node problems either. The urologist said I could go into a swimming pool if I dry off really well afterwards.

My daughter has a hot tub on her back deck. I don't think he has had time to get it prepped for use this year as yet. He's been working doubles, cannot remember how long, but a long, long time.

Ah well, I love hot tubs but heating pads and the like are good too. Hot showers, really anything to heat the muscles up.

Speaking of hot, we are headed to Key Largo tomorrow for a few days with my sister and BIL. Do we ever need this, after the funerals, surgeries (she had bunion surgery), estate sale, retirement. Blue skies and seas, take me away...

My incision is healing well and will see the surgeon Friday to get sutures out and discuss rehab plan.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the Arthritis Foundation Community Partners

Help the Arthritis Foundation Community Partners reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Arthritis Foundation Community Partners

Discussion topics

AF events and resources

Community leaders