Prozac and Pros and Cons

I would like to know if anyone out there has tried Prozac, and if so, how it benefited you and the side effects that you had? Thanks

10 replies. Join the discussion

Hi there - I have been on prozac for 15+ years and it gave me my life back. I still have days of doom and gloom and I deal with it without thinking. So I guess my answer is -
It depends on you, your history and your doctors recommendations and mix of meds to help lift you. This is a safe drug ( I think!) and I am here alive and kicking after surgery - however remember that I was a guinea pig when I started, the drug had JUST been made available in my country and I had no idea that I was depressed. I had no insight. I was bringing up 2 kids solo and my (now) ex husband had abandoned us. I was working in a place where I felt hated and small. I know I have that gene though and had been on many MANY meds since age 14.

Somehow my mind in self defense chose to shut down on the depression issue.
I had too much to worry about and do and live from am to pm. I was in my early 40's.

TG I had a wonderful psych who tried everything from hypnosis to sleep therapy to whatever. I did not lose a day of work. At last he started the prozac plus something else (I don't remember what that was) but within 3-5 weeks I was cheeky perky and full of piss and vinegar.

Oh yes - I do get my Diva moments. And I know it! I have been on Prozac 60mg daily since forever and I work, I produce, I earn I love and I had forgotten about el wonder drug until I saw your post. I came out of that shell and shone. I did not see it clealy but others did. After a year I met and remarried my husband who has been supportive and totally a pain in the butt too but that is life.

What I DO know that I MUST take my Prozac and my blood thinners and aspirin and thyroid replacement and loveza for cholesterol. EVERY DAY like it or not.
I am not sleepy.
I earn a great salary and I teach people how to live as part of my job.
And as I said earlier, it gave me my life and sense of humor and impishness back. I was in the darkest of places. I still remember and visit from afar when I think I know it all, and the mind is a TERRIBLE thing to waste.

Go with your doctors advise and be PATIENT because you don't feel any different. You NEVER feel different until maybe 5 or 6 months you remember how you used to feel. And then you realize how much that medicine has pushed you towards life.

Sandy

Well I did take Prozac for about a year and a half. I then chose to take myself off because, well I felt better. I felt my depression was result of events, and not chronic. I loved that Prozac reduced my appetite, and yes I noticed after a few weeks I could actually smile again, and see a glass half full. I choose now to keep my magnesium levels elevated, and take St. John's wort.

I just switched from zoloft to prozac a couple of weeks ago and already feeling alittle better. I was on zoloft for years and years and it just suddenly stopped working. The prozac has taken away that doomed feeling for me also, i no longer feel like i'm drowning. I'm only on 20mg though, and feel i need to go a little higher. No new side effects so far, in fact i agree that it has also decreased my appetite a bit Good luck...everyone is different, so it's worth trying.

15 years ago my doctor tried me on prozac and it made my depression worst. I was on it my 6 months and almost killed myself. I spent 3 weeks in pysch. hospital. They put me on Celexa and it works. I also take abilify.

My 1st antidepressant was Prozac. It worked and had no serious side affects while using the medication. That was in the late 1990s
I have also been on Zoloft and welbutrin. Now I take Celexa and my anxiety medication is Xanax,

I just spent two weeks in the Psychiatric unit of a prominent hospital. I had 12 ECT treatments, because the ProzAc I was again put on about 6 weeks ago was not working. Twenty years ago, I was on Prozac and it saved my life, then quit working after about 3 years. I was taken off of it yesterday and will never try it again. Hope it works for you. I am a total mess now, due to the ECT and the Prozac not working. I want to be dead most of the time. I have not been able to return to my job, where I was a middle school teacher.

My doctor told me it is a common occurance for Prozac to just quit working after a while - could be months, could be years. For me, I used to with great results for a couple of years. He also told me that if you switch to something else for a while and give your body a chance to "reset", you can go back to it again and it will work again. It's called "Prozac Poop-Out" - that's what psychiatrists actually call it!! They often add Wellbutrin with Prozac - it prevents the sexual side effects and helps return the energy you lose with Prozac and other antidepressants. The combination was really good for me, and a lot of my previous therapists & doctors have patients that use it. Then comes the hard work of behavior modification and emotion regulation - meds can't do it alone. I start a Dialectical Behavioral Therapy class tomorrow. I hope I can soak it in and actually learn to live those techniques!! I need a little "Distress Tolerance" training!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way, I also take Valium up to 3 times a day to control my anxiety. My current antidepressant is Lexapro and it's working!!!
Best of luck to you!!
Linda

Please, also remember that it can take up to 6 WEEKS for any new antidepressant to get to it's full functioning level. The brain has to reprogram the serotonin routing or something like that.

Thank you all for replying to this thread. I would like to update you on my progress. Started on May 24th w/ Prozac 20mg and titrated from there. Been at 60mg for 6 weeks. I feel much better. Everyone around me seems more pleasant and loving. I realize that the rest of the world couldn't have coincidentally changed since I began taking Prozac, so the drug obviously makes me see the world differently. I tried Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, and Welbutrin the past. None have made me feel this well. Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, and Lexapro all lead to sexual side effects, sleepiness, increase in appetite and weight gain. Very little sexual side effects, no sleepiness, decreased hunger, and weight loss on Prozac. It is amazing more effective that all of the others. Less side effects of all the others. And a side benefit of losing a few pounds.

Hello, I personaly i havent tried Prozac. I have a friend that took prozac for a pretty for long time and he is doing great now. His doctor recommend him to take prozac and he got them with a mexican online pharmacy medicinesmexico.com. Good luck. But you should see your doctor first.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support iFred

Help iFred reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  iFred

Discussion topics

Need help?

National Hopeline Network

If you or someone you know needs immediate help in the U.S., call (800) 442-HOPE to talk to someone live in your local area. They can help you through crisis and direct you to local resources.

Community leaders