All generic prozac (fluoxetine) the same?

Are all generic prozac (fluoxetine) the same? I ask because I recently switched manufacturers from Par Pharm (sold by CVS) to Ranbaxy ph (sold by Target). The Ranbaxy capsule is green and orange (40mg) and smaller than the Par Pharm capsule, which is white and blue (40 mg). Ranbaxy is easier to swallow. (and I experience less medication reflux with it.) I seem to be feeling a bit happier lately since switching to the Ranbaxy capsule. Is it me or could there be a difference in generic prozacs? I noticed on the web that there has been some discussion about this for some time. Have there been any clinical studies evaluating prozac vs. versions of fluoxetine (generic prozac)?

Edited October 19, 2012 at 6:31 pm

3 replies. Join the discussion

It might be very similar, but from what I have read and heard from others it's not the exact same thing. Some people are very sensitive to medications so they respond differently and the brand name might the kind that works better.

I haven't tried brand name prozac, but I'm definitely curious. For now, though, I think I'll give the new generic a month then see how I feel. Its hard to resist paying only $10 for a 90 day supply at Target, although I really should inquire about the cost of brand name prozac. It may not be that much more. Its no surprise that I'm very sensitive to medication. I am also on abilify 5 mg. and buproprion 300 mg.

The active ingredient is the same, but there is a difference with the inactive ingredients. I have problem with one of the generic versions of Zoloft. With me, the makers of the blue 100mg Zoloft has an inactive ingredents causes a significant increase in my acid reflux issue.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support iFred

Help iFred reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  iFred

Discussion topics

Need help?

National Hopeline Network

If you or someone you know needs immediate help in the U.S., call (800) 442-HOPE to talk to someone live in your local area. They can help you through crisis and direct you to local resources.

Community leaders