What can i eat ?????????????

Hi Everybody:
Can you give me some suggestions of Heart Healthy meals,because i can't just eat Chicken & Fish.
What do you eat for Lunch & Dinner ?

11 replies. Join the discussion

I roast an entire turkey on the weekend and take turkey sandwiches to work the next week. Ok, that's one idea. Now you need 7845 more.

Since my bypass, i have started to like Tuna. I'm not that big on most seafood, so i count the tuna as my serving of fish each week. Sometime's i eat it more than once a week, mainly cause i run out of "healthy" meats to eat. lol I was a big beef eater before my bypass...(which probably explains WHY i had blocked arteries), but since the surgery...i hardly even crave it. I also eat lots of oranges and eating cheerios for breakfast every morning has brought down my cholestrol a LOT!!

But as far as the meat choices...i stick to tuna, chicken and sometime's will cheat and make a healthy meatloaf.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Robin

Hi

It is a misconception that you must not eat red meat. What you need to do is LIMIT the red meat to small servings amd make sure it is free of all excess fat.

Tree bark and water. At least that is what my dr wants me to eat .... , I am one that struggles with wieght , I am about 40lbs overwieght , and have been for many years , since the by pass three years ago I was put on many types of diets we have tried low glycemic, Heart Healty,low carb,So I dont think I should be one to give advice . I can tell you I feel your pain,I work in a food industry and have acess to almost anything . thank goodness for the warm wheather I can now grill outside that really helps me with all the veggie intake. One thing that i have learned ,If something is low salt it is generaly high in sugar , Low fat doesnt always mean the best , So I tell you, I planted lettuce, tomato, pepper, and a bunch of herbs ... I figure I know whats in them .
Try cooking lite magazine it has alot of good recipes , hope all goes well ..

Yves has a ton of really good vegetarian alternatives. Just watch the saturated fat content. I eat veg meatballs, hamburgers, and even a vegetarian corn dog once in a while as a treat. You can't tell the difference to be honest. Aside from that, it's good old Perch out of the lake, salmon, and chicken. Once in a long while, I have red meat, or a homemade hamburger, from super lean ground beef. My diet wasn't that bad to start with. In fact, I've gone on a super low cholesterol diet before and had my numbers increase, like many of us, my body just makes too much of it. I see the nutritionist this morning actually, so I'll found out what she thinks of it all.

I like this guy a lot
http://www.drweil.com/

What is a Healthy Meatloaf ?

Healthy Meatloaf
Serves 8:

3/4 pound extra-lean ground beef
3/4 pound ground turkey breast (Really, the meats you use are up to you, but make sure they are super-low fat - if you can grind your own, even better... I do !! Just blitz it in the Food Processor until chopped finely. - that way you KNOW how much fat is in it.)
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup tomato puree
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped

Heat oven to 350°.

Mix all ingredients thoroughly.

Press mixture evenly in un-greased loaf pan.

Bake uncovered 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until no longer pink in center and juice is clear.

I recommend serving with a gravy made from Low Sodium beef stock; Make a roux made from cooking together 1 Tbls Logicol and 1 Tbls All-purpose flour - then stir in 1 cup of boiling stock, bit by bit. The french word for this is "Veloute" but I call it gravy. (PS: Does the USA have Logicol or other similar table spread that lowers cholesterol?).

The reason for the gravy is that low-fat meats are terribly dry as a rule. You can add some milk into the loaf, just stir in a 1/ cup or so, but I prefer the "Wet it afterwards" method - you get less soggy sandwiches the week after ;)

One Serving:
Calories 150
Fat 6g
Cholesterol 50mg
Sodium 250mg
Carbohydrate 6g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Protein 19g.

Hope that helps :)

-Rob.

Oh, and one for the Veggo's out there :)

This recipe is by David Fine, chef/owner, Healthy david's cafe, (Design Center), 418 Cerrillos, Santa Fe, NM. It's one I haven't tried yet, but I REALLY want to because it sounds so good !!

Vegetarian Meat Loaf

1 Block tofu; crumbled by hand to form small pieces
2 cups Brown rice; cooked
1 Red onion; diced
2 Carrots; chopped
2 Ribs leafy celery; chopped
1 small Green pepper; chopped
6 slices Whole wheat bread; crumbled and toasted into bread crumbs
1 cup Tamari soy sauce
1 cup Chopped peanuts OR sunflower seeds; toasted
1/2 teaspoon Savory
1 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Thyme
1/4 teaspoon Cumin
1/4 teaspoon Rosemary
1 teaspoon Paprika
1/4 bunch Parsley; minced
3/4 cup Tomato puree
1 teaspoon Cider vinegar OR brown rice vinegar

Mix tofu, rice, and vegetables together.

Add bread crumbs and rest of ingredients, except puree and vinegar, mixing well. If mixture is too dry, add a quarter- to half-cup water. "Meatloaf" should be firm, and not too liquidy.

Lightly oil bread loaf pan or 4 by 4 square pan with safflower oil and place "meatloaf" in it.

Mix puree and vinegar together and drizzle on top.

Bake at 350F degrees for 1 hour, preferably on top shelf of oven.

No nutritional info suppled, sorry.

Cheers,
Rob.

One of my favorites...and my 14 yr old daughters too:

Salmon patties.

Instead of bread, corn meal, etc., use oatmeal as the filler ingredient. Saw this in a heart healthy book and we like it at my house.

1 can salmon (remove the bones)
3/4 cup oatmeal (not instant)
2 eggs
Old Bay if you wish for taste.

Mix ingredients and pan fry in a little bit of canola oil.

I've grilled them on a George Foreman grill and they were "ok", I prefer to pan fry but rarely eat anything fried.

That's it !

Ogggggggg, I checked out Dr. Weil's website and it has lots of good info. Thanks for sharing!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders