Tattoos

Any tattoo aficionados out there ? Does anyone have any plans or already been inked to commemorate this life altering event ? I have been considering it. Just haven't come up with a design I really like yet. Thought about an anatomically correct heart (maybe w/ the location of my blockages highlighted). Also considered something with a cabbage (CABG). Don't know if I'm anywhere near ready to do anything on my chest - still a little too tender there.

16 replies. Join the discussion

My husband is a tattoo artist and needless to say he has his fair share of ink. They did not have to cut into any of his tattoos to harvest, he was happy about that.... I don't know if he will get any in association with his CABGX3, maybe after he has "recovered".... But I think it's a cool idea.

I thought of a zipper up and down my scar, but at 63 I'm not certain it would be appropriate.

I seem to have lost most of my sense of appropriateness after my pre-op groin shaving & my post-op butt wiping by nurses less than 1/2 my age... I've see some pictures on the internet of zipper tattoos - I like the idea but not sure I could stand it so close to the incision. :)

I don't have any tats myself (just a personal choice) but after you heal what about a simple "Under Construction" over your heart? :)

I don't have any tats, but I if ever did get one, it would be a scene from the opearting room, me on the table, doctors and nurses around the table, and the surgeon putting a scalpal into my scar.

Yes, my three adult kids are getting my Warrior Heart (my avatar) tattoo and they want me to get one, too. I just haven't figured out where to put it yet - I sure don't want it on any of my many scars. Too sensitive. My avatar is actually a piece of bronze jewelry - I just changed the colour yesterday.

Seriously? I have to admit I considered in a passing moment on the inside of my arm where they pulled a vein. Due to the length of the scar it would require a snake or golf club. Neither such a great idea. Never did get a tat so probably won't now. Always wanted one when I was in the Marine Corps but needed three things to get one. Needed to be drunk, have money, and transportation to the tattoo parlor. Could never seem to get all three at the same time. Still can't get all three because I can't drink now and definitely don't want to get drunk. Might have a little more sense now too, so no Tattoo for me!

...can you tattoo on scar tissue ? - sound very painful :-(

I never had any tattoos until a couple of years ago but I always liked them. After I retired I started actually looking into it and got "permission" from my wife. The only condition is - No snakes, skulls, or naked ladies. So I've been to the tattoo shop 5 times so far.

BostonMike - I like your idea...
MargaretMCI5 - I think your avatar design would make an awesome tattoo. I think it is cool that your kids are all getting it. I think you should go for it too.

Although I think you can tattoo over scar tissue, I don't think it is very pleasant for the recipient nor the artist.

After my wife died in 2005, I decided that I wanted a tattoo, to remind me that, in the midst of my grief and pain (it was crushing, and lasted 7 years! during which I adopted every bad health habit I could take up, had two prostate-cancer-related surgeries, had an angioplasty, a CABGx3 surgery at Hopkins in January 2012, and hand surgery (osteoarthritis) in September 2012. In summer 2005, I went to a tattoo parlor. I looked every bit the university professor I was, and the tattoo artist was surprised at my request--I wanted a PHOENIX (symbol of rebirth) tattooed on my left shoulder. It was to be my reminder that I had to FIGHT to make it back to life after my wife's death (not to mention the surgeries that lay ahead of me!)
For the longest time, as my heart began to fail and I struggled with my grief, the PHOENIX tattoo seemed useless to me. But after my CABGx3 on Jan. 5, 2012 (when I was 66), I S-L-0-W-L-Y began to feel my health returning. As beaten-up and flattened as I had been, emotionally and physically, I began to chase women again. Totally to my surprise, I caught one, and she and I plan to get married later this year. I dread the physically taxing move (to another state), and I'm trying to finish a biography I've been writing for decades, now. But the CABG helped me so much, and for that I credit my first-rate surgeon, Dr. Ashish Shah, and.....my PHOENIX. I do feel that I have achieved a strong "rebirth," after so many years of sadness and failing health.
I have diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, and some remaining heart problems, but figure something has to kill me, so I live with those threats-----and put my faith in the PHOENIX tattoo. I rub it once a day, just for luck. And try every day to let it remind me, "try to LIVE, as well as I can, with what I have left, and be happy." So the PHOENIX tattoo carries me forward.
I have NO REGRETS (I need to get it re-colored, I sun-tanned once too many times, and the beautiful colors faded).
My next move: get me some sleeveless tee-shirts, to show-off my PHOENIX tattoo, and I may join a gang of tattooed bikers, though I own only an Elite Honda scooter (top speed: 35 mph). BORN TO BE MILD.
Happy Tattoo to You, too, if you decide it's right for you!

When I came to post STERNECTOMY (radical removal of sternum), there were hand written signs posted around my room that read in bold letters, "NO COMPRESSIONS". I was so shocked I hit the call buton and asked if I could have someone tattoo that on my chest and was told that was put there to indicate a defibrillator is a better option for staff until my pectoral abdominal flap set up and I would be let loose on the streets after 3-4 months in hospital ......the next year I was implanted with an ICD and it works well (score shocks-8 death-0) but now I am told that if the ICD fails to revive me any action by way of CPR is better than none ....so maybe now a set of jumper cables attached to a heart would be better !!!

maybe

http://www.medtees.com/blog/Jumpers.jpg

or

http://icdsupportgroup.org/board/download/file.php?id=252

ummmm.....wow. What about a tatoo that says "If you can feel my spine, please stop pressing...."

Maybe that is the answer ..........lol

When can we get tattoos? How long must we be off blood thinners before we can get a tattoo?

Last time I saw the cardiologist I asked him about this. He seemed kinda nonchalant about it. Seemed to be saying cuts, scratches, etc or the type of wounds you get from being tattooed are no big deal - yeah, you will probably bleed a little more than usual and you would probably want to let your tattoo artist know what's up. But it's not like you're gonna bleed to death. I'm on 75mg Plavix plus a daily 81mg Aspirin and I know when I got scratched up by some wild rose vines in the woods the other day, it did bleed more than usual but it did clot w/ exposure to air and I didn't have any problem w/ the scratches later.
Now surgery would be something entirely different.... I don't think I'd want someone cutting on my insides while I was still on blood thinner. Come to think of it - I don't really want anyone cutting on my insides in any case.

I believe the going time rate off of thinners is around a week. Most surgeries require us to stop using aspirin and fish oil that far out. Make sure your BP is in check as well. A high BP can push the ink right out of your skin, believe me it looks grotesque. I'm looking for my new one now to commemorate this and will let everyone know what I decide on.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders