Short of breath and tired all the time

Hello Everyone
This is my first post but have read all your wonderful comments. I had a quad bypass 18 mths ago. Ever since the surgery I have been short of breath and tired all the time. When I tell my cardio Dr he kind of shurgs it off. Yes, I was depressed for quite awhile but seem better now. Is anyone else having this shortness of breath and tiredness?
Thanks Ed

22 replies. Join the discussion

I'm only eight weeks out but already contemplating finding a new cardiologist. When I called his office last week when I really thought I was having a stroke, they told me to keep a list of symptoms and bring to my next visit. I'll see him on the 22nd and if I can't get answers, attention and more than three minutes of his time (for $279), then I changing docs. This is all new to me, but I would think short of breath and still very tired after eighteen months at least warrants further testing, not to mention attention from the medical doctor you trust with your heart. I guess that's the point, don't trust him with your heart. Trust you and find another doctor. Blessings, Allie

I'm only eight weeks out but already contemplating finding a new cardiologist. When I called his office last week when I really thought I was having a stroke, they told me to keep a list of symptoms and bring to my next visit. I'll see him on the 22nd and if I can't get answers, attention and more than three minutes of his time (for $279), then I changing docs. This is all new to me, but I would think short of breath and still very tired after eighteen months at least warrants further testing, not to mention attention from the medical doctor you trust with your heart. I guess that's the point, don't trust him with your heart. Trust you and find another doctor. Blessings, Allie

Wow! My computer stutters!

Welcome Ed,

I would never allow a Dr. to shrug off anything I had to say. I am not telling you to go fire you cardiologist, but if you are not happy that is your right. I have found out the hard way that not all cardiologist are the same.

Ed, I had my aortic valve replaced June 2008 and I am very short of breath after just walking 50 feet. Its funny but I do not remember having an echo after my operation. So on Tuesday the 21 I am going in for an echo and a stress test. I will let you know the results.
Reinhard

yes, I am get tired easily and I am 4 1/2 years out, if I give an example it use to take me 1 day to clean house now I am lucky if I get it done in a week.
Or if I do volunteer work for a week it takes me 1 week to recover.

Barb A

Welcome to the club,

First off I want to commend you for telling your whole story, I kept mine short and sweet,
I too am firing Dr Quack in TN and went back to my Cardiologist who literally saved my life by looking outside the box, otherwise I would not be here if I had a dr who went by the book. I thank God daily for allowing me to be here with my family, I too have had pumphead, which I just finally figured out after 4 1/2 years I still have short term memory loss to this day. and I still get fatigued still, but I realized that I also have depression which was masking my fatigued and I didn't realized it. I am glad that you are here and with us.

I haven't had my surgery yet BUT When I had my heart attack they sent me to a different hospital to get a cath. The one and only thing the guy said to me was You are done smoking. Which only made me want to smoke more. And the one and only thing I said to him was No I'm not. Anyhow, my primary found me a different cardio and when I went to get my records all that they gave me was a ranting doctors opinion who basically said I was untreatable because I smoke. I had to threaten to sue them to get my actual records. The new cardio sent to to his partner because I need bypass. The long and short of it is , they both talked to me as a person and while I realize I have to quit smoking, and it's not like I haven't tried They were both understanding and encouraging and kind. There are good doctors out there. I went through basically the same thing when I got grave's disease. The point of the story is, try ,try again until you find someone who treats you as a person and takes the time to talk to you. I tend to use d.o.'s rather than m.d.s they are trained to treat the whole person rather than just throw this pill at you for this and that pill at you for that.

Thanks. All of these helped.
ED

UGH!! I know exactly what you are saying. My 51 year old husband had a quadruple bypass on April 14, since the surgery he has been readmitted 4 times with shortness of breath, with the last time being June 12. He's seen the cardiologist and family doctor, both who shrug off his shortness of breath!! He's also had this thing where he clears his throat all day long - they don't seem to care.

He was NEVER short of breath before the surgery but now can't function. He had another cath done and all bypasses are good.

He was admitted and treated for Dressler's.

Family doc said 5 weeks ago that he thinks all symptoms will subside in 8 weeks. We have three weeks left and nothing has changed

He feels worst now than he did before the surgery.

NO ONE will listen to us and we are at wits end.

This is a man that would work 16 hour days without stopping....now he can't even mow the grass without taking a break.

Any suggestions?

Hello, shortness of breath and tiredness are often the first signs of heart failure, so I would not let your doctor shrug off your concerns. I would definitely mention this again to your cardiologist and if he still doesn't take you seriously, get a second opinion. Good luck and keep us posted!

Ed, let me tell you what happened to me. I had my second CAB on May 6th, had terrrible shortness of breath to the extreme I couldn't breathe unless I was sitting up and bent over. I saw my PCP, he did a chest x-ray which was normal, so sent me for a pulmonary cat scan. It came back that I had a "mild" pleural infussion. Put me on a taper dose of Prednisone, which did help for a while. I saw my cardiologist last week, he said "I wish you would have called me first, the problem is with the Coreg that you are taking, Coreg (which is a beta blocker) can cause severe respiratory problems." Took me off the Coreg, put me on Bystolic, and I feel like a totally different person. Don't let this go, keep pursueing this until you get and answer. Good luck!!
Bonnie

Thanks again everyone. I went for an echo and they said the pressure in my left ventricle was high but was nothing to worry about.??? Went for a stress test,first since surgery 2 years ago and couldn't finish the 9 minutes, but they said they got what they needed. Still haven't gotten the results. Figures. I swear I feel worse than before the surgery. I wish I could smoke again. If I would have known how I felt after the surgery I'd have tried something else first. What, I don't know,but I wouldn't have rushed into this.

Ed

hi new to the site iam 11 months down the line from a 3x bypass i also find iam short of breath a change of beta blocker brought a small change but am now waiting stress test so you have to keep as postive as possable 18 months ago i also had an anerisyuim repair to my aorta (aaa repair) anyway keep well and think postive

Yes, I have ever since I had surgery a month today. We believe it has to do with the Lopressor I am taking on a daily basis. We placed a phone call today to the doctor to see if he can change this medication. He already lowered to 1/2 but I still feel dizzy, shortness of breath and lightheaded.
Will keep u posted, I hope this helps.

I have complained of shortness of breath and that dreaded drop dead feeling and finally demanded an echo. but doc went on vacation and that has been over 10 days ago. no one seems concerned but me and yes I feel the same symptoms as before the 4x cabg. in march.
any ideas are welcome.
hoping I can find my way back to this part of the site!

Hello everyone,
My shortness of breath is easing a lit bit but the dizziness and lightheadness is still there at times. My doctor stopped the lopressor all together, but since I was a little bit nervous not to have "protection" I am taking 1/2 a pill (25mg). My blood pressure is always on the low side. Today went for the evaluation for the cardio rehab and they told me I should stop it all together, so I will try that. On friday I will have my first re hab, will re check my blood pressure again and I will see how it is by then, will let u all know.

Got my stress test results and the nurse said everything was o.k. So that's good new, but I'd like to know the difference between this one and the one that was bad. I guess I'll have to make a doctor appointment to pin him down. A guy at work who trusts doctors said if it's o.k., it's o.k. but I'm the type that needs all the facts. Thanks again for all the feedback.
Ed

Hello, BarbA,
I had 4x CABG in March and since I have suffered
from fibro for so many years with no cure possible,
I really thought new heart equipment would be a big
help. Well.............. 4 months later and I am so breathless
and fatigue even more easily that I am having to add to my anti depressants! The surgeon never saw me again and the cardio may have give me an echo but I never heard back and no one suggested I make another appt.
I really feel that my poor old heart is struggling and their is only one large practice out our major hosp. in town. I have had TIAs in the past and I fear a stroke more than a heart attack.
By the way , I am the one in our family who always knows the answers......................not this time
I do pray a lot but I am hoping for a more rapid response time for this site, which I believe G-d sent me to.
thank you and thank you all
Blessings
bunny

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders