pain after triple bypass

constant chest pain. how long does it normally last after a triple by pass in a 75 male

12 replies. Join the discussion

Hello Kajongwe,

sorry to hear your part of the club...I am 5 months out and was told by my doctors, both the surgeon and the cardiologist on several of my visist post op that unless you’re feeling a sharp constant pain in your heart it is not a cardiac event, only you know your body though and should consult your docs. Your chest was just split open you’re going to hurt for a while with meds it is manageable. I can’t say for sure with yours, my chest wound healed in about three weeks mostly and about 6 weeks for the bone to mend where I felt comfortable about not reinjuring the break. The strange feelings of all the nerves my heart continue even now, it all gets better every day though.

This form is going to be a great help to you. Best of luck

Thank you for sharing.
My husband is almost two months out and has really painful chest pains.
He takes Norco but I worry about that. It is the only relief that he gets. he is 75

I would watch the pain meds for sure however everyone is different in their healing and he is a bit older than me. Most of the pain after the 4th week or so for me was managable with Tylenol. I know i picked up some weird emotions and then some aniexty after ( the whole mortality thing) You both should scroll through this forum lots of helpful advice.

thank you
My husband is allergic to tylenol

I am at 6 months plus a few days out and still have chest pains sometimes. But I do have less than before. Be sure he gets up and walks around as much as possable.

kajongwe, check with surgeon or surgeons office. Generally, if it's the same pain that he had leading up to surgery, they will take swift further action, if not, they will be able to advise and adjust pain medication subscription accordingly.

Personally, I'm 3 months out and have had my fair share of chest pain (sternum/rib). It has lessened over time and I reduced my Norco to match. At one point I had to take one Norco every 4 hours to manage the pain (as prescribed), now I only take Norco on an as needed basis - maybe one every three to four days +/-.

I hope this helps in some small way :-)

Thank you.
I read to my husband what you wrote and it certainly made him feel better.
He is just over 2 months out and he has gone back to taking his Norco every 6 hours.
He stopped them for a while but reading what everone else had to say he feels better about taking them again.
I hope you get much better each day. It is really hard for you all.
My prayers are with you.
Joanna

Has anyone gotten a good explanation of the pains we feel in what seems like our hearts even months after the surgery. They are sometimes sharp some times not, but always fleeting. My cardio guy has said on 3 occasions not a cardiac event when i took the paranoid trips to vist him. I even got the stress test to prove all is well with the heart muscle and blood flow...none the less i still get the pains. John your correct in the walking or even exercise seems to make a vairety of the discomforts go away or fade....does get a bit exhausating to go for a walk or exercise every time you feel bad ...sighs...onward thru the fog

My one year will be in 24 days (December 30th). I just found this site today and it has been great to read how others feel and have felt. I wish I would have know about this a year ago. I found this site because I was feeling discomfort around my incision area and searching the web to see if other had the same. (Incision is completely healed and the scar has faded really well!)

I am 54 non-smoker, not over weight and never been sick in my life, until Christmas Eve one year ago. I woke up with shortness of breath and long story short… CABG x4!

I have had all sorts of odd pains that seem to come and go. It would appear that they are a "normal" part of major surgery. My left Pectoral area is still numb. I am beginning to think it will always be that way.

I'm 6 weeks out from triplebypass my 2 month anivsery is Christmas
I was in alot pain the first month but after that it got better
I was able to cut down pain meds in half know Im able to go a couple
Day's without any pain meds walking helps and heating pad and hot showers
Help. This surgery is like geting hit by a train. I'm 32 years old and my
Doctor said that its harder on younger folks than on older folks. Due
To the nerve endings I hope your husband starts Feeling better
Mason

Husband had a triple bypass in August. No chest pain leading up to the diagnsis due to neuropathy, rather shortness of breath and a heart cath led to the diagnosis. Heart cath was prompted by decrease in kidney function (he is a kidney transplant patient, I am the donor - 4 years ago on his birthday even!) Kidney tested fine so they started looking at the heart. THEN 2 weeks post triple CABG, sepis / blood poisioning. Almost lost him, especially difficult with a suppressed immune system due to the transplant. Back into the hospital for intense antibiotic therapy. Got through that and was doing well and pain was well under control and getting better. And then got a cold with a bad cough. The severity of the cough seems to have impacted the healing of the sternum. He is now 4 months post CABG and the sternum pain is still severe. Had a chest xray at three months to rule out pneumonia / bronchitis. Lungs were clear but the radiologist said the pain was due to a seperation of the sternum wires and an infection and required surgery to address but then his surgeon reviewed the same xrays and ruled that out. (That was a stressful day!) On cough medication now to control the coughing attributed to a post cold virus that causes dry cough. I am hoping this pain is 'normal' and will continue to ease in the coming months. 2013 has got to be better than 2012! He is 57.

My husband is coming up on 4 months now and he is a little better each day. He took odema in his feet a couple of weeks ago and that is pretty painful when he tries to walk.
We went for blood work and of course they made a mess of it and he fainted,
so i cancelled his bloodwork until after the holiday.
He took a little infection on his scar and the dr. wants an u/s to make sure there is no abcess inside. he is on antibiotics and that appears to be clearing up the infecton.
I shall leave the u/s also until after the holiday.
I feel he cant take any more hassle.
He is tring so hard. Unfortunately he has now got degeneration of the spine so he has difficulty holding up his head.
We are taking each day at a tme. How I am going to cope with 20% of just over 1 million dollars I haven't a clue.
One really good neighbor paid for both sides of our fence so I thank him so much
He is a god send in this otherwise uncaring world.
Such is life.
Merry Xmas to all of you and I do hope that you all heal quickly
Joanna

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders