Numbness heaviness feeling across chest

I had a double bypass march o9 and i sometimes get a numbness heavy feeling across my chest,its a strange feeling because my chest is still quite numb from the surgery but it seems to get number if that makes sense and feels heavy not chest pain.Has anyone experienced this.

Julie

19 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Julie,

Yes, I've had similar feelings. I had a triple bypass in February. For a long time after, I had feelings similar to what you describe - numbness, heaviness, pulling sensations across my chest. I felt this even though the skin itself was quite numb. Those feelings have gradually gone away, as has some of the numbness in the skin. At first I was worried about chest pain, but realized that the sensations were outside the sternum, not inside. It's a very strange sensation.

Thank you artist that is very reassuring

Julie

Hi Julie, I think the numbness of the chest is part and parcel of the Surgery.....Mine is still numbe since Sep...Some days the scare stings...Some it itches and some it's fine....No disrepect to the males but we also have larger breasts so that pulls on the scar as well....It's all a learning curb.....x

My scar is the same but without the boobs.....I was told that in part it's also the nerve endings that were cut during surgery. I find that if I just move my fingers over my shirt, up and down the scar, it seems to help.
It;s just part of the healing process..

Marc

Thank you Yazz so pleased to hear from you.How are you now?

Thanks Marc you made me laugh

I get the numbness in the left breast area. Could that be from the internal mammary artery? Do any of you feel discomfort when lying down kind of like things are shifting around? I kind of wondered if it was the sternal wires. It's not painful just uncomfortable.

joules, sometimes yes, but the heavy-numbness seems to have dissipated (say 75%) over the last 2 months, so now I only discern it once in a while. My MD says it'll go away over time (6-24 months post-op.)

TripleCher. Things moving around inside has been my major complaint since day 1. (Well, make that Day 5, I was too drugged out days 1-4.) I too thought I may have broken a sternum wire, but X-rays proved not the case. In month 2 my surgeon told me I could do anything (reasonable) I wanted, like play racquetball or swim, etc, but to back-off if I felt too much discomfort from the activity the next day. In month 3 I added swimming to my routine. After a week of swimming I felt stabbing pain in my chest and thought for sure I had broken a sternum wire. Thus the new X-rays. My surgeon then told me I should never have gone swimming, and that I may have this discomfort for many more months. Well, damn.

So the bottom line is, I came home and started doing my own research. From that I have self diagnosed that I suffer from costochondritis (AKA sternochondritis) which is not uncommon for chest surgery patients to experience. I have also self prescribed 400-600 MG's of ibuprofen 3-4 time daily. That seems to help a lot. But my ribs shift and move around all the time. I can sleep on my right but not left side where 'hot spots' can jolt me awake.

As a little side note here ... one day last week while on my daily walk I reached between my legs and under to pull my undies out from the bunch they'd gotten into, while simultaneously maintaining my forward stride so as not to interrupt the flow of my fast-walk athletic studdlieness. Ah, yeah, riiight... OMG! It felt like a rib moved under my sternum and when I stood back up it snapped back into place. One more time, OMG!!! I don't do that particular move anymore. And the undies? History.

Anyway, for what it's worth to you, that's my side of the rattling bones story. I would also appreciate any info you develop on this subject along your way to full, complete and irrevocable recovery.

same here. and with the shortness of breath sometimes it is scary. they tell me all of this is normal. many of my rehab buddies say it will be a year before i feel really healed. wow. that is gonna be a while right.

Hi Julie,
Thank god i am a man........(that's in respect to yazz's comment). However the smaller the chest don't really mean less irritation. I had my double bypass also in september and still get the heavy numbness you talk about. Even went to the doctors to re-assure myself and just like the others have said, it is all part of the healing process. Just keep rubbing it or tickling which ever takes your fancy..........it helps..........really it does.
Regards
Garry

i had a 4 bypass in june 2008 and i dont have a heavy numbness but it feels like i have a 2 inch heavy band under my breast anyone else have this?

Thank you Garry you did make me laugh

I had bypass surgery in July of 2009 and still have numbness in the left side on my chest. The numbness has gotten less and less and as my nerve endings heal I can feel a little more discomfort from the surgical procedure. I just had one wire removed two weeks ago because it was cutting a hole on the inside of my chest and that procedure seemed to heal that condition but it did cause additional soreness.

Over all the chest wall is still numb and sore at at times can really slow me down a bit........ Keep Smiling

WELL I HAVE BIG BOOBS AND I'VE BEEN VERY LUCKY I DON'T GET THAT NUMB FEELING. BUT I DO GET THAT BURNING AND ITCHING THAT AT TIMES DRIVES ME NUTS SO I GENTLY SCRATCH AND I WASH THE AREA DOWN REALLY GOOD THEN AFTER DRYING I APPLY BENADRYL CREAM AND TO BE HONEST IT WORKS VERY WELL.

SOMETIMES I KINDA WISH I HAD SOME NUMBNESS CUS THE PAIN AND ITCH AND BURNING IS SO ANNOYING, MY RIGHT LEG WHERE THEY TOOK SOME ARTERIES STILL HAS A BUNCH OF NUMB SPOTS. MY QUADRUPLE BYPASS WAS DONE ON SEPT 22ND. SO AT 52 AT THIS POINT I'M FEELING 102 LOL

THEY SAY ALL THIS GETS BETTER JUST GIVE IT TIME, BUT THEY NEVER SAY HOW LONG, SO I DECIDED EH, ILL ACCEPT THAT ITS ALWAYS GONNA FEEL THAT WAY SO I JUST TREAT IT LIKE ITS FOREVER, AND THEN IF IT GOES AWAY? YOU GET A PLEASANT SURPRISE YAY! LMAO THANKS FOR SHARING THIS SITE HAS GIVIN ME SO MANY PPL TO BOUNCE IDEAS OFF OF ITS JUST SO AWSOME, AND IT HELPS TO KNOW THAT THERE ARE SO MANY OTHERS GOING THRU WHAT YOU GO THRU AND ARE WILLING TO SHARE. TAKE CARE HUN XOXOX

I had my CABGx5 in January 2010 and my main post op problem has been that I've developed a "rash" around my incision and breasts areas, causing an unbearable "burning/painful" sensation that it makes me want to fly and keeps me up almost every night (as you can see it's 4:50 a.m.). The burning is soooo intense that just the touch of my shirt or the sheets on my skin feels like my skin is ripping; at times it feels as if I had thousands of bee hives stinging. This has been going on for about 5-6 weeks now. At times, I feel some numb spots as well, along with the stiffness and heaviness - I'd say it's like a combo of all of the above (no itching). I started cardiac rehab today and I'm praying that it will help me with the stiffness and numbness.
HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED A RASH WITH THESE SYMPTOMS?

Im not so worried about the numbness --- that's seems "normal" for open heart bypass. In fact I would be thrilled with just numbness, by itself.

The more threatening sensation is the heaviness, tightness, and a warmness in the heart area. I had 5 bypass surgery one month ago. Ive had these sensations ever since surgery. At first I thought it was "normal" but now I'm not so sure.

The sensations last for hours at a time, but its not there all the time. It's not painful, thought it gets your attention. Because of the nerve numbness, which clouds the feelings, its very hard to tell exactly what you are feeling.

I did get alot of what you are experiencing I was told it was normal unless you start to feel an angina type pain or crushing on the chest.

Even to this day I find it hard to work out what is causing what odd pain and sensation.My chest has never really felt the same since surgery,but i know it is a small price to pay for being here!!!!

I get the same feeling after 4/8/10 4x bypass. My dr. tells me I shouldn't still be feeling this way. Then I get confused because I read that others are having same problem. As far as itching and sensitivity I use a spray on after sun product for sunburn. These contain lidocaine and help to numb area for awhile.

Hi DoubleF: I'm curious to know - what did you feel that you had to have a wire removed. You say that it was cutting the inside of you chest; that must've been an awful painful feeling. Could you describe the feeling and how did you find out that the wire was hurting your chest?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders