Nitro Tabs

Hello all,

I was just curious how many of you have nitro tabs on hand just in case?

21 replies. Join the discussion

I keep mine with me at all times.

I keep two bottles, one in the plastic container I keep all of my meds in (in case I have to direct a family member where to find them) and the other in my handbag for when I am out and about. Shamrock

http://safetycentral.com/pilholfobnec.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_mediu m=adwords&id=18283950120&utm_content=pla
I have seen these for much less and smaller. The last one I saw had a rubber seal in the cap and was small enough to go in a wallet. I believe it was at Walgreens or CVS.
I don't have any NTG but if I did, I would carry some with me in some sort of appliance like this.

I was never given any or even had it mentioned to me. In fact, the only nitro tab I ever had was in the ambulance on the way to the hospital after my HA.

I don't have them and have never needed them since my bypass.

I have been sitting here patiently with my hand raised for some time now, and nobody called on me so I'll just speak out of turn.

I have a stock pile that I maintain as they are so crucial to me. Carry a vial of 25 in my pocket at all times. Keep a vial on the head board at all times. Have several vials on my medicine cabinet. Always ensure I have a supply with me where ever I might be.

Those who really need them know how crucial access to a supply is, just use care not to bang the bottles together, could be an explosive situation.

Hey Robo---I do the same thing with Glen Morangie. Is that wrong?

Neither my heart surgeon, cardiologist nor family doctor ever said one word to me about that stuff after my CABGx3 on January 10 of this year.

I wore a nitro patch for 25 days after surgery but no one said anything about the pills. Been off the patch 2 days. CABGx4 3/8/13.

Unless you have unstable angina, meaning chest pain at rest and with exertion, it's unlikely they will prescribe a vasodiolator such as Nitro

My husband was only given the nitro tablets when we told his heart surgeon that we would be flying home in two weeks time. Hopefully he doesn't need to use it.

I had carried nitro for 3 years while I suffered from angina, and was delaying the much-feared catheterization. But it got to a point where I was having angina attacks with only minimal exertion, so I figured it would be better just to back off of whatever activity was triggering the angina. Anyway....after my CABGx4 my cardiologist discouraged me from carrying nitro, since the whole purpose of the CABG was to return me to a normal lifestyle and level of activity without NEEDING the nitro. And I agree with that. Plus, I figure carrying aspirin to chew in an emergency makes more sense (although I am not doing that yet).

Thank you all, I was just wondering..glad to know my docs were not as removed as i had thought....Oh wait I still think they are removed..anyway good to know, I need another pill to keep track of like a third leg.

Peace Cabbies

I have spray nitro at home. Had I used it this week I could have avoided 8 hours in emergency at hospital.

Spray? wow, I hadn't heard of that one.
Since my CABG I have carried a little bottle of nitro pills with me at all times. In addition, I have one in my desk at work and one next to my bed -- both of them in a baggie with baby aspirin. I intend to take both if I have another heart attack.
By the way, the doc told me nitro is still effective if it stings a bit while it is under your tongue. He said to try one out every six to nine months to make sure they are not past their shelf life.

The spray has a longer shelf life than the bottled tablets which have to be replaced thirty days after opening. The downside is that the spray is rather expensive. I remember the spray costing something around a hundred dollars each in quantity where as the bottle of twenty five tabs was about fifteen. Of course the spray was good for a couple hundred doses if my memory serves me. I ordered it for the EMS units when I was working county admin.

http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/kb/content/special/hw85228spec.html

this explains the nitro spray.
cheers.

I thought, if you opened a bottle at all, the remaining nitro would not be as strong. Besides getting a new one after opening, I try and get a new one every six months anyway. I take mine everywhere. I also carry aspirins. I had unstable angina before my bypass three years ago. I have used nitro only a couple of times since then. If your doctor does think you might need it, I'd make sure it's with you at all times.

Hmmm, well not sure where everyone is getting their information on nitro's effectivity after exposure to the atmosphere. My Pharmacist told me that as long as I could feel the tingling under my tongue they were fine. But the proof is in the pudding, where did that ridiculous saying come from anyway, when I take a nitro and the pain immediately subsides, coupled with a pounding headache I know they're still good. Were I to replace the pills once I open the bottle, I'd have to get 50 bottles a month.

Talk to your Pharmacist on this. They are chemists and expert in medications. They will be able to tell you the facts. Don't just go by my Pharmacist, he's a 14 year old who fills prescriptions on the street corner. But hey, he's open 24/7

Mike,
I like your prescription much better. Who's your doc?
Tom

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders