Leg Swelling and Pain after CABG

Does anyone else have trouble edema and swelling in the leg(s) where the vein was removed? My surgery was May 22nd and it's August 8th. How long does this go on? It's even slightly painful for the sheets on the bed to rub against my leg. HELP!

14 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Carole,
You should go see your doctor.
A few questions you may want to consider are:
Are you watching your salt intake?
Have you tried elevating your feet?
Are you sitting for long periods of time?
Are you wearing tight clothing?
You really should go see your doctor, Carole. If it is edema, s/he can help. If it is something else, you need to get it under control.
Best of luck,
Margaret

I had veins removed from both legs, ankle to knee and had swelling and they were painful for quite a while. My quad bypass was 22nd Feb and at times are still tender even now m .

it is a fairly simple thing in most cases. the doc will prescribe a diuretic regime. no cause for concern.

Yep, been there, done that---still do!! SWELLING/ Edima since my CABG November last year.

You need to:

1.) Be on a diuretic, i.e., "Waterpill"

2.) Eliminate salt intake

3.) Elevate your legs to the level of your heart

4.) Pray!

As of yesterday, I am applying a (prescription) ointment to my lower legs to help heal the red and raw skin, caused by edima.
The swelling is the bodies reaction to the missing vein(s)--replacing it for now with fluids and all being hamperd by poor circulation, being the furthest away from the "pump", your heart.

I am making progress with reduced swelling but it has been (another!) long haul..........

All the best Carole, Uli

Beg your pardon!

EDEMA....EDEMA...EDEMA....E-D-E-M-A!

(little German here with the misspelling in my prior post)

Actually I did see my doctor yesterday. She said it was a matter of gravity so I'm taking the elevating of legs to heart. Thanks.

Well, mine was the end of May so I'm still waiting for healing. Thanks.

I'm taking a diurectic already, and I don't add salt + I buy reduced sodium products. I guess it's just another wait time for healing, although my doctor wasn't too positive -- she said it may never go away. I guess this is another area of "Wait and see."

Carole:
I am almost 5 years out from surgery. The first year the leg where they harvested the grafts stayed swollen a lot. I wore one of the compression stockings they had me in in the hospital when it got really uncomfortable. That seemed to take some of the swelling down, along with elevating it on a pillow in the evenings. It eventually got better, but I still have to deal with it from time to time. In my case, climate plays a role. I live on the Gulf coast of SE Texas and the heat and humidity definitely seem to cause the swelling. I don't have it near as much in the "cooler" months. Unfortunately, we don't have many of those anymore. Extreme barometric changes seem to affect it also - when weather systems are coming in I get more swelling. I notice you are in Florida so probably have similar weather patterns. I think you will notice an improvement come October-November.

Take care -
Dianna

I had the viens taken out of my right leg and my left arm, the leg feels num at times but have no problem walking or moving it just feels like its frozzen like having frezzing in your gums before getting work on, on's teeth

Is it normal to have pains after 3months from a 3x bypass. I also had fluid build up around the thoracic cavity 1.6L. was readmitted
for drainage. Felt a lot better, do you think this can reoccure? I had it drained around 1.5 months ago. Also my right ankle swelled
up last week despite freezing weather. I took a waterpill and rested the ankle did improve. Plz reply to my concerns.

thanks
dbj251

You're probably right. It has improved a little with more elevation and more exercise. I am now doing leg exercises in the pool in the evenings. Thanks.

Hello DustyCarole. Chiming in a tad late with my leg incision experience. Turned out I had more problem with the leg than the chest incision. I had 3xCABG on 7/28/2011 and was released from the hospital and went home on 8/5/2011. Even though I have been on a diuretic (water) pill since my diagnosis for bladder cancer over 4 years ago, and my cardiologist doubled the dosage after my cabg and I kept my leg elevated while sleeping in a recliner for the first couple of months after I got home, I experienced a build up of fluid in a spot on my leg incision called a SEROMA. This is a straw colored, clear fluid from the tissue that has been cut in the leg from the incision. I started to notice a slight swelling at the top of my incision, which by-the-way, runs from just above my ankle to the top of my inner thigh, and I did not like the looks of it. I got up one morning around 4:30 a.m., on 8/25/2011, almost 3 full weeks since I got home from the hosp. As I got up from the recliner to go use the washroom I felt a warm rush of fluid run down the inside of my leg. My first thought was "I hope to God that wasn't blood"! Half scared to death I went in the washroom and in the light I could see a 1 1/2 long and 1/2 wide part of the incision had burst open and all the fluid had run out that had built up the swelling. It was also about a half inch deep. Totally gross to look at, yet strangely, did not hurt at all. I went to the doctor the next day and he wasn't alarmed at all. Said that these SEROMA's aren't all that unusual and I had to take care of it by wet gauzing for a while until it started to close up from the bottom up.
Believe it or not, depending on the type of incision you received during your SVG, the leg will be more problematical in healing than your chest incision.
Sorry for being so long here everyone. It just takes a while to try and explain some of these medical goings-on fully. Peace and good luck and future good health to everyone on this site.

Thanks, Charles, for your information. Mine's not that bad compared to yours! And, yes, I know what you mean -- my leg has given me more problems than my chest after me 2X cabg on the 22nd of May. It's getting better, though; more exercise seems to be doing the trick for the swelling, and exercising in the pool actually seems to help by taking away some of the pressure of gravity. Thanks, everyone, for your insights into healing -- this site has been a Godsend!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders