How do you feel at 4 weeks after Bypass Surgery?

My husband, who is 46 years old, had triple Bypass Surgery on January 26th. He is doing amazing, but is still very week. He was able to leave the hospital after 4 days after the surgery. We were scheduled to go on a cruise on February 26th, but have cancelled that, but the Doctors think we can still go to Florida during the same time. Neither my husband or myself think that will be possible by the way he is feeling right now. I was wondering if any of you could give me your feelings on how my husband will be feeling at 4 weeks?

9 replies. Join the discussion

Four weeks was the big Curve. I felt so much better at 4 weeks. The first weeks I had no entergy and no desire to do anything but nap. It was like a sswitch flipped at four weeks and I actually felt good. It is hard to explain but that was how I felt.

At 4 weeks, I was feeling pretty good, but not wanting to do too much other than walking (and then coming home to relax....). I think it depends on what your plans for Florida are and where you are now and how you plan on getting there. I know my incision (100% better now @ 8 weeks....) was still uncomfortable up to about week 6 ( I am 55, but a 'big baby'.....). I did go into work (office) for a couple hours @ 4.5 weeks a few times and half days @ 5 weeks (I seem to remember), but again, the incision was uncomfortable sitting in same position. If it were me and it was visiting family and not doing much except for short outings, I would do it (just for a change). But don't forget.... different bed, different shower, different food.......

I think most people 'look' much better than they are really feeling, so perhaps it is easy of others to 'expect' more than may be doable. 'What do you mean you can't do that? (climb that ladder, reach for that glass on the top shelf, lift that suitcase, reach around to wash your own back, clear the snow off the car, whatever........) You look good to me.....'

@ 4 weeks, I think most feel pretty good (if no complications....). In my opinion, just don't over do it. It looks easy, done thousands of times each day worldwide and people look pretty darn good soon afterward.... but I wouldn't wish it on my 'worst enemy' (unless life and death situation...).

Just my 50 Fils worth.......

My triple bypass was 12/24/10, and though I do feel a little better, am still having problems walking without getting short of breath easily, pain on right side of chest which I think is sternum. Of course, I am 80, so have to take my age in account. Sleeping is also a problem as I am answering you at 1:30 in the morning. We cancelled a trip to Toronto in April as did not feel that I would be able to go, particularly since the people I am visiting live in a triplex which means several flights of stairs. I did have a bypass at 61 and did a whole lot better, so I think your husband will just be fine. Just do what you feel you can do, stay positive and it will all work out. My wife and I will keep you and your husband in our thoughts and prayers.

In the UK, although we are told that we can fly after 10 days if it's absolutely necessary we're advised to wait until 6 weeks if we can. I flew from London to the South of France (a 90-minute flight) about 8 weeks after my bypass. It was slightly uncomfortable sitting in one, fairly cramped position for this time and the general hassle in the airports at both ends probably got to me slightly more than usual but otherwise it was fine.

At 4 weeks I personally wouldn't have done it but your husband is almost 10 years younger than me and may well recover quicker. Only he can really judge how he feels.

Just as reference, I traveled 6+ hours by air @ a little over 3 weeks and a good bud traveled 15 hours @ just over 4 weeks (he lucked out and had a business class ticket). Personally it wasn't bad for me (cramped in coach...), but I was on my way 'home' and was happy to be headed that way.

I had bypass at the age of 40 and by the 4 week point I felt very good but the problem is you are still healing and I was still napping a few hours a day at that point. I went on a trip to the ocean (I live about an hour and a half from the Jersey shore) at about 8 weeks and it was great but it was very hard not to do the normal things you would normally do, like, pack the car, lift the luggage and all the other activities like that. But, if the trip is for your husband's benefit I would think about going but in a very modified capacity. If the trip is for anything else I would not go. There is a famous saying in cardiac rehab, Cardiac rehab is filled with yes men. One of the hardest things you must learn after bypass is it ok to say no, and the major question would be will he be able to do almost nothing but walk on the trip? Only you can answer that one.

My husband had his triple bypass on January 7, and he is doing great!!! For him, his "greatest" moment was when he got to drive his car at 4 weeks! On the serious side, at 4 weeks, he is a totally different man than he was the first few weeks after his surgery. (He is 50 years old.) The only pain he has is in his leg. Your husband should be MUCH better at 4 weeks. Take that trip to Florida!
I will pray for your husband's speedy recovery! God Bless.

I apologize to you. Each person is different and there are so many factors to take into consideration. I guess it was just my excitement with my husband's recovery. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone in anyway.

We took a cruise that I had planned during my fourth week after bypass, but it left from my home town so no travel, and I spent a lot of the cruise napping in various locations on the deck, but enjoyed it a lot since it got me out of the house. I stopped all prescription pain meds after week four, and started working (part time, from home, office work) started cardiac rehab as well. I would say that after 4 weeks I felt amazingly good, at least against expectations. Still some pain to be managed with Advil, fatigue and lack of stamina. Finally, I would say while I took the cruise, I wouldn't have taken a long drive.

As all have said, everyone is different, but that's whats good about this, we get to share different people's experiences.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders