eggs

hiya all can someone tell me is it bad to eat eggs every day for breakfast as i cant eat any thing else could someone tell me how many a week should i have as i had a bypass done 7 weeks ago and i gont want to block up the veins that they have done for me thanks

13 replies. Join the discussion

G'day PlayGirlCarol,
The Australian Heart Foundation "allows" consumption of 6 eggs per week. The humble "bum nut" as we call it, is one of
natures most healthiest foods. Problem is, some fry them with bacon and eat too many of them. I have attached a site below..
http://eggs.ca/egg-nutrition/whats-in-an-egg

My quick breakfast is "the one egg omellette". I use a small skillet that is hot and lighty coated with olive oil.
I wisk one egg with reduced fat milk and add some dried basil to the mix. I pour the mixture into the skillet and turn the heat
down a bit. After about 30 secs, I "shimmy" the skillet to avoid sticking. I then add diced, mushroom, tomato, onion, crushed
garlic and a small spread of low salt Italian tomato sugo (puree). You can add some low fat cheese if desired.
Fold the omellette in the pan and "shimmy" again. Slide the omellette onto toasted multigrain bread. There is no need to use
any "spread" on the toast because the omellette will look after it for you.
I hope this helps my friend,
The UTE!

P.S. Can you still "shimmy"?....lol!

Hi playgirlcarol,That sounds like a very good omelette recipe,think I'll put that on the menu tomorrow morning for hubby and myself.Eggs are good for our hearts and also our brains since they contain choline. Thanks again.

Are they okay to eat that often? I never know, and usually have one about every 2 weeks. Seems every time you turn around there is an article saying they are good for you, followed by one saying they are bad for you. That is one food item I've been pretty well confused about, and I do love 'em.

Read The books by Essylstyn and Dr Ornish on reversing heart disease and you won't eat eggs again. They are full of cholesterol in the yolk.

why cant you eat anything else? there is a lot of goodbreakfast foods have you seen a person to help with you diet?

no not yet but i dont like ant thing but toms on toast or beans on toast or eggs on toast

You have to learn to eat a new diet. Eating what you did helped put you in a position to need a bypass in the first place. Lifestyle changes need to be made and that includes diet. Eggs aren't necessarily bad for you, but it depends how you prepare them, how many etc.

Two+ weeks ago, when I had CABGx3 done at Johns Hopkins Hospital (the cardiac surgeon also used the occasion to employ the MAZE procedure in an effort to halt my Atrial Fibrillation problem), a dietician dropped by and lectured me about heart health and diabetes, but I was in rough shape at the time, and remember few details. One I do recall is that she said I could have "two eggs a day"--but NO YOLKS. I can live with that. I like egg whites, and I'm eager to learn new ways to fill them (other than the way I filled those "deviled" eggs I so loved in my previous life!). I use egg substitutes (yellow and white) when I cook, and notice no difference, really. Also, I've grown to love *poached* eggs, and never fry eggs. I'm dedicated to avoiding egg yolks now--I've had enough of that CABG experience to last a lifetime. No yolk.

I eat eggs every day. I understand the cholesterol they have is the good cholesterol anyway. I also read that they are GREAT for you pulmonary (breathing) system

I got rebuilt at 49 yrs old and followed a reasonably good diet, so I figure I will be good for at least 30-35 more years with the new plumbing.
Im not going to be making too many changes diet wise. I was always pretty mindful of what I ate, but never fanatical

thank you for your replies i must say i did try and not eat eggs this week and tried ready break but it was not nice so guess what i went back to eggs lol i will keep trying not to eat to many a week

Eggs are another one of those foods you get mixed messeges about. First I was told egg whites were OK, then after reading Dr. Dean Ornish's book on reversing heart disease it instructed no eggs period. As theute indicated the Australian Heart Foundation (and the U.K.) allows 6 eggs with yolk per week.
It can get frustrating trying to sort out all of the information that conflicts.

You are so right about that Ricky! That is why I believe that everyone should select the most credible non partisan sources for their information. For political issues, for example, I have found National Public Radio (NPR) as a pretty credible, objective source for me. For buisiness I prefer the Wall Street Journal and the Fox Buisiness Channel.

For medicine, I prefer and trust, the American Heart Association, the Mayo Clinic (no offense stbo), the Cleveland Clinic and Johns Hopkins. Any claims or advice from an unknown source warrants a more critical analysis before I accept it.

An old and wise professor once said, that he expected each of his students to become critical thinkers and to question and study every bit of information that he spewed forth before accepting it as fact or truth.

Hi Sky, from what I read, there is no good cholesterol, you do need some for cell wall manufacture, but not much, you are born with a LDL count of 35 to 40 so anything more than this is excess. My cardiologist cites the Framingham study and many others of evidence that getting your cholesterol count down, especially the LDL is critical. For-those with heart disease, less than LDL 70 is the target. You get all the cholesterol you need from what your liver produces, eating egg yolks just overloads your system with 325 mg of excess and if you genetically aren't,t programmed to dispose of it, ie. with a high HDL count, guess where it ends up, in your coronary arteries. So I would be very careful about eating egg yolks if you have heart disease.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders