cortisone injections

My right shoulder continues to give me big pain 4 months post CABG, due to osteoarthritis aggravated by contortions during surgery. I plan on getting a cortisone injection next week for relief and wanted to see if anyone had received such injections post surgery and knew any reason why I shouldn't. I've had plenty in my time but none after heart surgery. Thanks.

11 replies. Join the discussion

As long as your ortho doc understands about your surgery and has a list of ALL of your current meds, if he/she says it is okay I can't imagine why you shouldn't get one. I understand how you feel. I have one herniated disc in my neck and 3 compressed ones so I often have to deal with the knife jabbing pain in the back of my shoulder blade. It seems to have bothered me more since my surgery than it did before but I don't know if that has anything to do with it or just the fact I'm a couple of years older. I have flexeril to take for it but man, can't take that except at nite. When I had rotator cuff injuries they tried those injections with no luck but if you think it might bring you relief by all means check with your doc. If you have had the injections before then you are well aware that it is not wise to let anyone give these injections except an orthopedic doc. They know what they are doing and if the one giving it doesn't, well you will be in agony for sure.

Take care and let me know how that works out.

Kat

I've had the shots in my wrist, neck, shoulder and foot and you're right....no fun! I put them off until I can't get relief any other way. I haven't tried Flexeril but may look into it.........Thx for your feedback and good luck to you too.

I asked about one for my hip so I can walk further distances without pain. My family doctor would not do it but referred me to an orthopedist. First he suggested I try taking Tylenol or Motrin before I walk and then walk a little further each day to see if the pain would work itself out.

MollyRose your GP doesn't want to attempt it (good for him) as it is a very tedious job and an orthopedist knows EXACTLY where to place the needle, not only to get the best result but to NOT cause you agony. If done correctly, I've never felt pain, just more pressure but if done incorrectly, not only will it hurt like hell but the bruising the next day will let you know the idiot did not know what he was doing. Its not just a shot, they place a very long needle in an exact place in the "Joint" usually, but where ever the ortho doc thinks it needs to go. There is a deadening agent also in this injection and that is what goes in first, hence I'm sure why no pain just pressure. If you think it will help I wouldn't waste my time trying Tylenol before I walk unless this was the advice of the orthopedist. And if you are on an aspirin regimen like most of us, you should stay away from Motrin. It will interfere and keep the aspirin from doing its job .... not good. I would contact an ortho doc and get his opinion on what he thinks might be the problem with your hip and see what he recommends. I was at the point 6 years ago where I thought I was going to have to start getting epidural injections in my neck because of the pain but they put me on Celebrex and flexeril and it has made such a difference in my life .... celebrex is a wonderful drug, not bad on the tum and is the only anti-inflammatory drug that my doc recommends for arthritis, etc. and you do not have to have a full stomach to take it. Flexeril of course is a muscle relaxer and works wonders when I only take 1/2 tablet at bedtime.

Take care and wishing you some relief.

Kat

:-)

Thanks KatieRose!

One real warning about cortisone, it is not a healing agent! Putting cortisone in a damaged joint is like putting grease in a rusty fitting. It lubricates it but the damage is done and still there. Cortisone reduces inflammation. The joint feels better but is still damaged.

I took cortisone in an elbow when I was playing hockey. it felt great in a few days so I went back to playing full bore. Six months later when the cortisone treatment wore off the elbow was worst than it ever was and it took over a year to heal properly. Just remember that even if the cortisone treatment makes you feel better, you are still in the healing phase so be very careful you do not overdo it and cause more damage.

I had injections in both my knees one month after my CABG X4 (surgery was 5/29/13) so that I could begin cardiac rehab in earnest (I have painful arthritis in my knees). I had approval from the Cardiologist and it was done by an Ortho doctor. The only thing I was told to mention to the Ortho doctor is that I was on a blood thinner. I had no problems with the injections. But as curling mentioned, and I am sure you know, this is not a "cure" it just aleve's the pain for a period of time. I have since lost 30 more pounds and that has helped greatly.

Yes, I agree with Curling but I am assuming everyone understands it is like Tylenol or Motrin, it treats the symptoms but does nothing to the cause. Arthritis is a nasty thing to have to deal with and I would think cortisone injections would be a last resort, or a means in order to get exercise.

I had my 5x cabbage just over two years ago. What I found out after surgery while still in the hospital, I had pain in my right shoulder and found it difficult to be comfortable on my back. But, that was the only position that I could be in since my chest was very sore to say the least. After recovery, I visited my chiropractor and he examined me and said that my right side pain in the back was coming from the connection of the ribs to the spine near the shoulder. He told me that they slightly dislocated a few ribs while moving me during surgery. I could feel the HOT SPOTS when he ran his hand/finger up and down the spine. He said that he sees this type of problem post surgery with many patients. After two or three visits to his office where he massaged that area and worked with the arm/shoulder, the pain decreased and went away. It is amazing how normal medical providers do not touch their patients but simply want to prescribe drugs. There was no violent popping or other strong movements just pressing and moving those very sore connections to the spine at the end of a few ribs. I have had no trouble after those initial treatments two years ago.

Well, to each his own of course. Whatever works for you I say kudos but personally I visited a chiropractor once in my life prior to going to ortho doc for my neck and what I learned was .... NEVER AGAIN .... and after having bypass surgery ... for me, not no but hell no! :-)

I'm 19 months on and my right arm and shoulder ached constantly, not a horrid pain but just wearing as nothing got rid of it. I thought the best cure was to rest it as I also couldn't rotate my arm around either. Eventually went for physio and she said the best thing was excercise which I followed and all is now almost back to normal although I do have the occasional relapse.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders