Chest wiring

How do they wire the chest together? If I was the one doing it I'd would of probably wrapped it like a steel plate! I was just wondering how and how thick is the wire? I've heard of two people whose chests needed repair soon after and I sure don't want anymore surgery!

18 replies. Join the discussion

Mine was done with something very similar to 300lb test monofilament, its crimped with a crimper just like offshore fishing leaders.

I was told the sternum is very tightly secured with heavy duty wire like used in fishing. I don't think they were kidding me? Then they used glue to close the incision on the chest and at vein harvest site. I am ten weeks out cabgx2 width LIMA. The incision has healed well , just itches the beejeebeees out of me! But also told that is good!!

I can feel two pieces of wire at the top of my sternum. It's not exactly a nice feeling to me.
I wonder if it has any scrap value to those after me!!

justjohn My father passed away 18 years ago with cancer, before he died he went to the dentist and ask if his gold crown would be worth saving. At that time gold was not as valuable as it is today! Today the dentists might think twice about it. haha

Hello Gwynislgrl I see in the media that indeed gold has increased in value! I don't know about your country but here the dentists get enough "gold" for their work. lol.

JustinHart...... You make me smile. Your story of the x-ray girl and the cold zipper make me think you are a person with a sense of humor like my own. Thanks for the smile!

I am 3mths 2days post 5 grafs. I was told the wire is stainless with the posssibility of a little nickel in it. Luckily i haven't had any problems with that part.

While at rehab today I spoke with a nurse who said they are currently using a clamp style closure at the med center. Sounds like it is titanium and clamps around the sterum. They are using 2, one close to the top and another lower. Sounds like the way to go! Supposedly this wiring thing don't always work so well. They twist it and then bend ends over and both weaken the wire and sometimes cause breakage resulting in more surgery for the patient. Where was I when this thing was discovered!? I could be sitting on east street watching my bank account grow! Anyway I still don't know how I'm put together. I will ask when I see the surgeon later this month. I can hardly stand this sitting around. I've read till my eyes are crossed and I don't enjoy tv that much. Lord help get through this! I'm not complaining just stating a few facts. Good days to all of you!

Glad to know there are people out there with the same prob as me. I am 6 weeks out of Surg and at first other than the obvious pain it seemed this won't be so bad. Then as time went on my strength weakened. I found this very unsettling. Now I start cardio rehab next week an am told this will help. Hopefully with strength and mood swings. This has been an unusual ride for sure.

Sternotomy suture material is a monofil (or braided) non-absorbable implantable surgical suture material made of high-grade surgical stainless steel or Titanium wire available in different diameters. Closure techniques in practice today resemble the lacing of a shoe.

Wow you sound so smart, I'm not so good when describing stuff! Thanks, I'm going to ask my surgeon when I see him this week how they put me back together again!

Me Too, Justin, I haven't tried to feel my wires. A little TOO much reality there for me.

I'm quite a big guy too (125kg) and they used wires to close me up, not the clamps. Maybe I wouldn't get so much clicking if they had.

The use of sternal talons is becoming more commonplace and application is seen on this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcYm_npTQMs at the same time kryptonite glue is being used http://www.heart-valve-surgery.com/heart-surgery-blog/2009/11/13/kryptonite -super-glue-breastbone-sternum-healing-fedak/

"Canadian researchers have pioneered a new way to mend a patient’s breastbone after open-heart surgery, using a Superman-strength glue that cuts healing time and reduces pain.The technique uses a state-of-the-art adhesive called Kryptonite that rapidly bonds to bone and accelerates the recovery process, says Dr. Paul Fedak, a cardiac surgeon and scientist at the University of Calgary.

“We can now heal the breastbone in hours instead of weeks after open-heart surgery,” he said Thursday. “Patients can make a full recovery after surgery and get back to full physical activities in days instead of months.” "

As to chest xrays, it is always amusing to see a techs reaction when they do mine and find out the sternum is missing .....sometimes I tell them and sometimes I wait for the reaction (kind of bug eyed glaze)

Has anyone ever heard of one side of the ribcage shifting and healing uneven to the other side. I swear that's one thing I think has happened to me. I don't think both sides are lined up evenly.

Clara

Hey my cardiologist who I adore dearly, was wire happy, he wanted to make sure my sternum wasn't going anywhere, there are time I can fill it poking me when I get hug too tightly, but other than that I am ok, and My was done on September 18, 2004.

Skynut, I just have to tell you that your profile picture looked like a catfish to me untill I looked at it BIG. Now I see it is a cute lil dog. lol

Thanks for noticing...he's One of many who have adopted me...he's 10 pounds of pure love named Mr.Mo! His story truly has INSPIRED folks, as he was abandoned as a pup to wander and hide among squirrels, literally surviving on acorns and deer poop. He chewed off his own tail as his last desperate meal, before finding and joining our pack. I could go on, and on, about all my charming and unique foundlings...

I'm flying for the 1st time since surgery, out to my daughter's wedding. Will my wires set off the alarms at the airport?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders