Caffeine

My cardiologist says it's okay to have a couple of cups of coffee a day. The nurses at cardio rehab say no to all caffeine. I had a 5X bypass 1 year ago, and enjoy a couple of cups of coffee or a skinny carmel latte' in the morning. Anyone else drink coffee?

8 replies. Join the discussion

Hi - I do! I just have one with caffiene and the rest decaf. I was told that was perfectly fine. Just not to over do the caffiene. So maybe just try to switch some of those cups over to decaf! It's hard to give that up isn't it?

Beth: Caffeine in coffee raises blood pressure. Too much coffee is definately harmful to your new vessel system and regulation of your blood pressure. I have one cup of coffee at 10:00 AM daily, sometimes I substitute Green Tea from Lipton which has been proven to be very healthy for you. Google Green Tea and you may want to switch.

Regards,
Karl

Decaf works for me unless I am feeling really loggy. Then I have one cup of regular and it is a real pick-me-up. Other than that I stick with decalf tea at home and decalf coffee.

I was told the basic line, "moderation in all things". For instance, my surgeon was asked by another patient if he could have a margarita when he returned home after he didn't need the pain killers any longer. Doc said, "As long as it isn't a BIRDBATH sized one!". LOL

All people are different but I Reduced coffee to less than half a cup and BP dropped to near normal. Then, add B complex and BP is normal after 45 years. My son's heart rate was fast due to caffeine in colas. I suggest that near no coffee, tea, or colas.

Hi everyone:

I have high blood pressure and have had a by pass x 4. I also know they can't go back inside to fix me again. Sooooo ... The medicine I take for the high BP does its job and I do mine by drinking de-caf coffee and I do a lot of math to keep the salt down as well. I want to be around and healthy ( ??? :) ) enough to watch my grand-children grow. I am only 66 and intend to be here for a while longer. If that means lowering my coffee intake and drinking de-caf, I am not about to stress that choice.

--- Gloria ---

Oh ... I forgot. Grady said it above. Caffeine comes in many disguises.. milk chocolate and all colas. Today there seems to be an amazing trend towards chocolate coated coffee beans and espressos. Espressos are done in shots of concentrated coffee. I would be extremely careful in speciality coffee shops.

--- Gloria ---

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going back to decaf...after I wean myself off the caffiene!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders