Blood Pressure problems after Bypass

I had a double bypass 4 weeks ago. I am having problems with my blood pressure in the evenings. It will drop down to the 80's
systolic(top number). Has anyone else have this problem? When I wake up it is in the low 100's and 90's. Over the day it seems to drop. Any ideas?

8 replies. Join the discussion

I'm eight weeks out now and blood pressure and pulse are back to normal but.....

At first the blood pressure stayed too low because the blood pressure medicine I was taking three times a day was too much.

Dr. changed to a once a day pill and the blood pressure came up but then the pulse was too high!

After an initial scare on the pulse it gradually came down over several weeks.

So, see the Dr. and tell them how low it is....

Thanks for the reply.
I did see the heart doctor on Monday and they had started me on Lisinopril 5mg in the hospital along with the Labetalol 300mg twice/day. MD said to cut down the Lisinopril down to 2.5 once a day. If I cut down on the Labetalol.. than my pulse rate goes to high. Maybe mine will level off with alittle more time. Do you still have any chest pain?

The only time I have chest pain it when I over do it on lifting or driving for too long. The turning and arm movement while driving is more than we imagine. The good news is if you behave yourself the body continues to mend and you will see improvements each week. Between 4, 5, and 6 weeks I saw quite a change. This cardiologist put me on Lopressor instead of linsipril. At first I was taking 25 mg three times a day. Now I am on an extended tablet of only 25mg once a day. When I left the hospital I was on 14 meds if I include multivitamin and vitamin C. Now I am down to Crestor, Lopressor, aspirin, and the vitamins.

I hope I will be as lucky as you. I am on 11 meds in the morning, 5 in the evening and 6 at night. I am trying to do
as the Dr.'s say...walking 30 min/day. It is rough but I keep on trying. I hope these bypasses last awhile. In the last 3 years I have had something done each year. I am ready for a non- medical start to a New Year.

My doctor said that is normal to feel how you feel because you loose a lot of blood. They don't want to give you blood if is not necessary, they tried to save it. So, it take some time until your body recover blood.

Thank you! That does make sense. I think I got blood in surgery but I am sure I still need to build up.

Until you build up your blood, you are going to feel week, tired etc... Bypass is hard surgery no matter people say recovery is fast.

I was anemic when I went back after 6 weeks and they gave me iron pills for two months I guess the question is have they done any blood tests?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders