Best Exercise After Bypass Surgery

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post after my surgery. I had a quad bypass on June 17, 09. I am doing better every day. I was told that walking is the best exercise to build stamina and keep arteries open. Does anyone have any suggestion for other types of exercises. What is safe and what is to avoid. Thanks and the best of health to all of you.

6 replies. Join the discussion

hi-it takes time but i began riding my bicyclle after 2 months-slowly at first -stopping if breathless-but after 6 months i am doing 20 miles every other day and feel pretty good! good luck

Were you able to sign up for cardiac rehab post surgery? It's a terrific way to get back into conditioning and exercise with appropriate medical supervision. Anything that gets your heart rate into your target zone for a period of 30 minutes will be good for your stamina and arteries. As you get in better condition, your target zone will also increase and you can exercise longer, 30-60 minutes. You can find out your target heart zone from the results of your latest stress test. Our rehab nurses cautioned us not to rely on traditional measures, but to look at what's calculated from the stress test results. Walking will be good initially. Unfortunately for some, golf doesn't count - you don't get your heart rate into the target zone for a long enough time period.

I had my bypass on June 14. Mostly I do walking, its one of the best exercises you can do, a brisk walk is almost as good as jogging.

I also do upper body exercises, raising my arms over my head and streaching.

I also walk and take belly dance lessons.

Thanks for all replies. In fact I did not go to rehab, but I will check with my cardiologist about the target zone.

I walked prior to beginning my cardiac rehab this past week. In rehab - which I highly recommend - I'm using three machines. First, I walk on the treadmill at a rate determined by the therapist. Then I ride an exercise bike and, finally, I use a fabulous seated step machine. Each rehab facility will have its own roster of machines - not all will have the seated stepper, for example - but the key is that you're working with therapists who really want you to have success - you're not alone.

i think it's also important to work with the cardiac rehab folks because they will protect you from doing things that may be harmful or otherwise counterproductive. For example, one patient reported doing upper body exercises; this is ok if your chest is healed but it is not good for patients who are less than 12 weeks post-op. I still have sternal and general chest soreness at just short of 10 weeks.

Another thing I was advised to do when I was discharged was to begin climbing stairs. I couldn't believe this and I didn't do it until I had begun to walk outside, which took me a week or two - I really felt horrible when I was discharged. It's funny how we are accustomed to seeing people on TV or in the movies who leave the hospital refreshed and all better. Ha! I think the day I was discharged was the worst day I had since the surgery, and I was discharged 5 days after my bypass. Anyway, when I finally did begin climbing the stairs it proved to be a good thing, and I recommend it.

Good luck!

rex

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders