After 8 weeks, new pain.

I am trying very hard not to get discouraged but I have developed some pretty severe shoulder pain. It is on both sides but mainly on the right. I have been dealing with it for about a week and have tried lots of ice, heat, tylenol. Nothing seems to help. Have any of you experienced this type of pain? I also have a lingering headache and sore muscles in general. Right now I feel like I am going backwards. I am going to start rehab tomorrow but I am really worried about being able to do it. I would really appreciate anything you can tell me or suggest. I was doing better a month ago than I am now. Sooooo frustrated. Meems

9 replies. Join the discussion

I understand shoulder pain as I have gone through it since my triple bypass. I think, at least in my case, is that it was caused by the way I slept with the pillow being a little to high with my head on bottom of pillow and my neck and shoulders below in a funny position. At same time this was happening I had thrown my back out, so I was a real mess. I went to physical therapy where they applied electrical current of some sort on both my back and shoulders and than massaged them. Am feeling a lot better the last few days and hopefully will stay that way. Make certain that when you go to rehab that they are fully aware of what you are experiencing and perhaps they can help. I had a bypass 20 years ago and now am recovering from a triple bypass which I had on Dec 24th. Each receovery has been different. Of course a lot has to do with my age now and than plus in between I have survived both prostate and lung cancer. Am doing okay, but still have pain on right side of chest and am still having problems with shortness of breath. I also just started cardiac rehab and I think as it was in the past, will be very helpful. I know how difficult it is to try and not get depressed, but I there were days that I also felt depressed but you just have to fight your way out of it. It is so important to stay positive, be your own advocate, keep fighting and never never give up. Joining this support group is equally important as support groups along with the support of my family and friends has helped me survive all my health problems. Good luck to you, stay well. My wife and I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

I tooo have had that "backwards" feeling. Soreness in my colarbones, shoulders and my back between the shoulder blades. I've come to understand from the great people in this group that these achs and pain are part of the process. Tylenol has helped me and I agree with MAXINEZ and the position of your pillow. I found that an old worn out down pillow gives my neck enough support and at the same time allows my head to rest in a lower position.

As far as the headachs are concerened, I am having that too. It starts with stiffness on the right side of my neck and is a low grade throbing on the right side of my head.... I am seeing my Doc on Wednesday and that is my first question.... I'll let you know if you can wait that long...

Well, I've also had plenty of that "other" pain, but I understand now it's all related. Do you sleep in a recliner? That saved my bacon as far as that goes. I can sleep sitting up when I get the shoulder and back pain, and that really has helped me a great deal. I also take a muscle relaxant now, about an hour before I go to sleep. Try and not get too discouraged, better days are just around the corner. Take care.

Hi

At times it is hard not to be discouraged but I think we all go forward perhaps three steps and back one. No one told me that this would happen, but every one I know that has had bypass has had this occur. Just keep positive and perhaps as someone said try a recliner. I would suggest you go to rehab. The presence of other people that have been through CABG can provide great support and even if you only do a lttle exercies you will feel better.

Ken

I posted almost the idenical thing yesterday under " tightness of scar" Sorry to hear that others are experiencing the shoulder and neck pain like I am but on the bright side, at least it is starting to appear like a normal part of the healing process. I guess I'd be more concerned if I was alone with it. Good idea about trying muscle relaxants. I sleep with about 4 pillows but I know I'm getting into bad positions during my sleep so often wake up very sore too. Hang in there!

Hi Seemex and everyone, I ended up going to a Dr. of Physical Medicine, he has put me in Pt. 3 time a week for 2 weeks. I have gone 2 times since I first wrote about this. I can't believe the relief that I have gotten in that short time. I am getting ultrasound, Lots of deep pushing and proding, electricial stimulation, heat, and exercises. I am soooooo thankful I was able to go there. My PT said that the surgery is so hard on our bodies. She said that the muscles in my back feel like bones instead of muscles. I was also able to start Cardio rehab and I am going to both on the same days. I don't know if any of you can try this but it might be a help. It sure has been to me. God Bless, Meems

I had a good bit of that pain after the first couple of weeks of surgery. My Dr gave me a pain script when I got out of the hospital, and that helped, but what helped more than that was doing those stretches several times a day. It'd hurt like heck to do it at first, but after several repitions the pain started to work itself out. Especially raising my arms over my head from the side and front several times.

I know about this pain as I'm experiencing it now. I had my surgery (double) on 2/22 and I was on a solid upward arc and then a few nights ago, this pain started and it was pretty intense. I tried to get past it, but finally went to the ER and had a ton of tests done just to be sure nothing was going wrong. My cardiologist says it's just typical post op pain and as my normal feeling comes back more and more then I will feel this kind of pain at times. The nature of the surgery and the atrophy and then overuse of muscles since are what causes it, and that as I progress in therapy, it should go away. I sure hope so! I've been feeling pretty good overall and this is getting on my nerves.

i know i am having a lot of shoulder, left arm and back pain also. i have found applying a heating pad (not too hot) helps. also, walking or moving around seems to ease it up somewhat also. pray your pain leaves quickly.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders