Painful cuts on finger tips

I regularly get small cuts or cracks on my finger tips where the nail meets the skin and also as far as the first joints of my finger tips. The cracks often bleed and are very painful at times. I have used cortisone cream and latex gloves in the past which seems to work but it takes about 7 to 10 days to heal and then starts all over after 5 or 6 weeks. Has anyone had a similar experience and advice on how to overcome this skin problem?

6 replies. Join the discussion

My husband is out in winter weather pumping propane and has a similar problem. He has found 100% lanolin (from a health food store) to work better than anything else and keeping his hands from splitting.

I also get those painfyll cracks on my fingertips. I knew it had to be realted. What meds are you on, I blame it on a side effect. Every night while watching TV I just keep rubbing a good han crean onto my fingertips and it seem to help. I know what you mean, very painfull,
GOOD LUCK
Rose

I also get these, and I don't think they are related to sarcoid meds since I am not on any of those yet. I also don't think it's related to sarcoid at all, because if it is then all of my friends also have sarcoid! LOL. I do believe it is age related, since everyone in my circle of friends is of retirement age, and might be a vitamin deficiency. One of my friends who is in her 70's said her doctor told her to take a multi-vitamin, and those cuts went away. I wish I could take a multi-vit, but I am allergic to something in them - always having a bad reaction when I try to take them.

I'd love to hear if you figure this one out, because I am in great pain from September to about June or July!

Good luck,
Bobbie M

I am 43 yrs old and have been dealing with them for the last several years now. I think it's a form of excema because my sister has dealt with it since she was a toddler. Not only my fingers crack/bleed and are painful as you-know-what, but my toes and heels do too.

The only thing i have found that helps is Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula in a tub. You can find it at Walmart, Kmart, etc for about $3-$4. It's thick like Aquaphor, and it soaks in pretty good. I will put it on a little thick, and in about a half hour it has soaked in and there is a noticeable difference within a few hours. Any extra that you get on your fingers makes a great softening cream for the rest of your body!

This is the only thing i have found that works, for me anyway, after trying everything from Aquaphor to Heel Rescue Moisturing Cream to Lubriderm....you name it.

Please let me know if you try this and it works for you, ok? I'd be curious to know.

Blessings!
Melissia

The only thing that I found to work for my cracked and severly chapped (bleeding) hands is BagBalm in the green tin. I slather it on and wear gloves to bed. As strange as this might sound you might also try Desitin (or any type of diaper rash cream). It has helped for so many other uses for my family, including our chapped/bleeding hands, exema, etc.
I can't think of the exact name but there is a product I think its called Second Skin. Maybe a pharmasist could help you locate it.
Good luck!

The only thing for me that helped was to put a bandage around the fingers that were cracked with bag balm ( Wal Mart) before I go to sleep. I also use it on my feet and slip a pair of old socks on.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders