Mirena IUD what happens after the 5 years are up?

Has anyone left their IUD in longer then the 5 years recommended? What happens if you do leave it in longer?

7 replies. Join the discussion

i had an iud (lippes loop) in for much longer than that...just had it removed last year w/no problems. my gyn. said it could have had tissue grow over it & would have been more difficult to remove- guess i was lucky.

I'm afraid it would be less effective after the 5 yrs. I'm not chancing it.

Hello i have an IUD but the one i have in is good for 10 years not five .

What is the name of that kind?

Hello i have the one that is called Paragard .I have never had any problem with it at all.

Mirena is fairly new and I would have it changed after 5 years if that's what they recommend.

I've had mine over 6 years now....was covered by insurance when it was first put in, but, gee, guess what? Not now! So, no $$ to do anything for a while. But, all is well.....absolutely no problems at all! I'm also not paranoid about most things. Technically, there is really no reason there should be a problem. I still have not gotten my period either, even though the hormone was supposed to be gone by now too, which is awesome, so I'm just going to wait until next year and see what next year's insurance looks like. I am very happy with mine.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders