effects of marijuana on a fetus

I would like any feedback as to the effects of marijuana for nausea during pregnency on a fetus

8 replies. Join the discussion

I doubt there are many studies on this as no women I know would admit to using an illegal drug especially while pregnant. The fact is, everything you put into your body goes to your baby to some degree. The placenta does filter some toxins and poisons but does not protect the fetus entirely. Marijuana is a poison to the body. Though it is a plant, it is still a poison. Hemlock is a plant too! More than likely if you use marijuana during pregnancy, first of all, while the placenta is trying to filter it out, your fetus will be denied oxygen and nutrients because the vessels are shrunk down trying to keep out the poison. This is vital to the fetus for development of the brain and all the organs. In the first trimester, this could be detrimental to the development of the fetus. The neurological system and organ formation could be affected. This is the most crucial time of development. Ater the first trimester, the neurological system continues to develop and could be adversely affected as well. Let's face it. If you don't put poison into your body intentionall while you are pregnant, if the baby did have birth defects, your conscience could be clear that it was nothing that you did. Besides, there are many other ways to treat nausea. You coud try a motion sickness pressure point band. This can be prescribed by your Dr. and the good thing is there are NO risks to the baby. This remedy works on the ancient Chinese principal of Chi, the life force energy that runs through your body, and works to rechannel it as a form of accupressure, similar to accupuncture. Other helpful tips include, eat small meals or snacks every two to three hours so the stomache doesn't completely empty. By this I mean healthy, highr protein smacks or fruits and vegetables. Taking a B12 supplement may also help. Also, if it is worse in the morning, because you go so long during the night without eating, try keeping crackers near your bed and eat them immediately after you wake up. Nausea is usually temporary and subsides after the first trimester. There are a few women who have it so severely they must be hospitalized and giiven IV fluids and nutrients as well as Vitamin B12 shots, this is called Hyperemesis Gravidarum. The good news is, this is only a temporary condition that will end at the very latest in 9 months after the term of the pregnancy. The best advice I can give is to avoid Marijuana, alcohol, and all other illegal, prescription, and over the counter drugs while your precious cargo is on board. Better safe than sorry! You surely want to give your child the absolute best chance in life to be healthy!
(Mom of five healthy kids that all but one made me puke!)

PLEASE think about what you are doing to yourself and your baby darling!!!! There are medications that are safe that the Dr can give you, if the nausea and vomiting is that bad.... Believe me I understand the nausea and vomiting issue... I lost 15 lbs in the middle of my pregnancy with our oldest son. I was in the hospital twice and threatened with it more than that. I would encourage you to talk with a nutritionist and get some info on things that are easily digested and easy on your stomach. The cracker idea is a good one, another is crystallized ginger and ginger tea. take care of yourself and you can look forward to a happy healthy baby... Do you take prenatal vitamins??? If they are causing a problem take em at night... take care J

I would talk to your doctor first. Medical Marijuana is not hard to find these days. I do not know if it CAN have effects on a fetus, but I will say this: My best friend smoked pot about once a month while pregnant. And her baby came out full and healthy! In fact, we just celebrated his 4th birthday last night. :)

There is actually TONS of research on this topic. Books upon Books, articles upon articles....the list is truly endless. However, most people are against it so no one really takes the time to look into it. Studies all over the world from years back have done research with mice, rabbits and other animals and have come up with the same conclusion. Yes marijuana can effect the fetus IF and only IF it is consumed in mass amounts. If you smoke 6-10 joints a day everyday you are pregnant well then yes there will be a risk of birth defects and producing a smaller fetus. However, considering that your body and everyone's body in the world naturally produces THC, which is the chemical - NOT POISON - in marijuana that makes you "high", then smoking it occasionally will have no effect on the fetus. Still a little unsure about taking the occasional puff, think of this...if you lived in Amsterdam, Jamaica and other parts of the world smoking marijuana is a daily thing to most people, even those pregnant. You look at those in Spain, France and others, drinking a glass of wine is common with pregnant women. Here in America, which is a great country, people are against it but I think mainly because it is just an illegal drug. If it was legal people wouldn't think twice. And no it is nothing like cigarettes...cigs have poisons that kill people and mice in studies. I've never heard of a mouse or a human dying from smoking marijuana. It is a naturally grown herb just like catnip which has been used for centuries for infants with colic and to ease an upset stomach. If you are really unsure than go to a library, talk to researchers at colleges and universities and use the internet. It is full of research on the effect of marijuana on the fetus.

Before you pass judment, understand I do mot smoke anything.
But....
When I was pregnant I had hyperemesis, probably a more extreme case than others. I vomited several times an hour. More like convulsive dry heaves as I was unable to hold down anything. I lost a ton of weight, was unable to leave the house, and all smells made me sick. I threw up till my throat bled constantly from the bile. I was admitted to the hospital 14 times, because I was in so much pain, and so dehydrated. I used all of the meds the Dr. recommended. NONE WORKED.
I actually capped my $50,000. health insurance before I was even five months pregnant.
I had to stay on a picc line, with a visiting nurse at home.
My sons father was helpless, there was nothing he could do to stop my pain. We just could not handle it.
On a particularly bad night he went to a friend and got some weed. I didn't feel right about it, but I would at that point do anything to stop puking and just rest.
I honestly thought I would lose my baby from starvation.
So I tried some. Just 2 hits. puffs whatever. (I was a regular pot smoker as a teen)
Those two hits enabled me to hold down the Zofran.
I was able to drink some gingerale, and it tasted good.
And I was able to fall asleep.
So I did tell my obgyn that I had smoked a very little bit a few times, and it worked.
My Dr. advised me (even though it is illegal) to continue using marijuana. He wasn't pleased about the smoking part, but I couldn't eat it so....
I smoked almost every day. A very little ammount, just enough to hold down my other meds until they could work. Just 2 or three small puffs, even though the smell was bad. It did the job.
I did not abuse it, I did not feel high from it like I did in school.
I was very concerned about my baby, but the other meds had worse side effects.
Anyway my son was born exactly on his due date. Perfectly healthy. He is now 7 years old and developed normally. He has no health problems, physically or mentally.

There have been plenty of studies on this subject, the foremost being a study on a group of pregnant Rastafarian women in Jamaica. The "neonates" fared better in some instances than those who had no use. However, it is important to note that the study was conducted in a society with strict social rules governing acceptable behavior of women and where marijuana is generally the ONLY drug they are exposed to, not coming into contact with alcohol or tobacco.
It is to the benefit of drug agencies and the money making powers at be to criminalize the use of this herb. And the fear and tentativeness of people who are against it is a result of the campaigns against its use since the 70's. Marijuana has NEVER been shown to hurt any child after born after its mother used it...whether heavy or light use. My sister used heavily with all three of her children and they are all brilliant, healthy, children. I say do your own research. Soon drug companies will have a synthetic derivative of it in pill for SPECIFICALLY for the use of pregnant women suffering from nausea...then I guess it will be okay. I say use it in its purest form and puff away to a happy, more comfortable pregnancy.

I learned as a young adult that my mother smoked pot while pregnant with me. PLEASE DON'T DO IT. While I am an intellegent young women I have met other people who were not as lucky. Sadly although I was far above my classmates I wonder what could have been if I had not been a fetus introduced to marijuana during pregnancy although my mother also admitted that she took cocaine twice during pregnancy, who knows how many times it really was. I was not born a drug addicted baby but I was born 6 to 8 weeks early and with several problems. At birth I had an underdeveloped liver and a heart murmer among other small problems. Nothing to major but I also had alot of behavioral problems. Although I will admit that may have been in part to the parenting I recieved as well. I was spanked and yelled at frequently as a child and didn't have things explained to me calmly even after I was old enough to be able to undstand a "complex" conversation such as your in trouble because you did whatever. As a child I was kicked out of several day cares and preschools for throwing tantrums that they couldn't control and in one instance throwing a chair at another child. Then when I went to elementary school I went all day in kindergarten (not normal then) with half my day being spent in a behavioral class. Luckily for me I was not introduced to more drugs to control my problems as a child. But this is not uncommon with children who were just occasionally introduced to drugs as a fetus. Trust me do the research and any reputable source will say the same thing. Although you will find articles written by a few pot heads saying otherwise. And I am not some right wing that hates and looks down on all who have tried drugs. I myself have "experimented" with weed, smoking it on a regular basis for a few years. But after looking for a stable job paying more than minimum wage I can't smoke anymore and honestly I think alot more clearly and became more active after I quit smoking for a few months.

I don't know about the effect on the fetus...I am sure it is harmful .It is also bad for your lungs. ...even more so that cigarettes.
I have COPD, and have had half my right lung removed from cancer.
If you don't want to be dragging an oxygen tank around with you...don't put things in your lungs that don't belong there
:-)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders