Any insomniacs out there???

I go through periods that it takes me a few hours to fall asleep. The thing that gets me is that I can be exhausted and the second I get into bed I am wide awake. Like magic. I then have to read, watch tv, even work to get tired again. I don't dring anything caffinated before I go to sleep so I don't know what it is.

Anyone out there experience something like this or anything similar. Would love to hear from you and get any tips!!!

Thanks,

Oskar

10 replies. Join the discussion

Oskar:

Do you find that there is any difference in how you're approaching the bedroom during those nights when you can/can't fall asleep?

I find that when I spend too much time - much of any time, really - reading, or watching TV, or talking on the phone, etc. in the bedroom, I have a much harder time falling asleep.

When I do my "living" in the living room, and my sleeping in the bedroom, I find I have a much easier time of it....

Are you seeing any similar patterns?

Best,
Dave

Hey Dave,

Good point. I actually work on my PC in the bedroom before I go to sleep. Maybe that has something to do with it. We don't have a TV in the bedroom though and the nights I watch tv in the living room and go to bed the same thing happens. I will now be more aware of my activities before I go to sleep and see if there is a pattern.

Thanks!

Oskar

Oskar,

I have found that I need to be off my computer for at least one hour before I want to go to bed. Otherwise, I just don't have a chance to let my mind detach from work. I usually read a little, but nothing serious or work related. That usually helps....

- John

Oskar,
I sometimes have a similar problem. It happens most when I'm stressed out at work and have trouble 'turning my brain off' when I climb into bed.

Have you tried any medication for it? I've tried several drugs and had some success (and some downsides) with all of them.

I'd be interested in hearing how folks who've tried melatonin are doing. Does this seem to work for people? The medical evidence isn't that clear.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the feedback. I completely understand what you mean about trouble "turning my brain off" when going to bed. I think I need to not do any work an hour before going to bed but that is easier said than done.

I am not too keen on taking medications but have taken Melatonin in the past. Sorry to say, it did not really work for me but many of my friend swear by it.

Oskar

There is a documentary, "Wide Awake" that is airing at 8pm tonight (5/23/2007) on HBO - it's supposed to "chronicle filmmaker Alan Berliner's personal struggle with insomnia and the consequences it has on his life." I'm looking forward to it - perhaps it will interest you as well.

Best,
Dave

There are a lot of different things that could be your proble, do you wake up in the middle of the night or do you just have a hard time falling asleep altogether. Do you think about problems or things when you try to sleep? maybe you can try something safe, prescribed to help you fall asleep. I know my daughter has a tough time falling asleep, it sometimes takes her hours, let me know how your doing

Hello! I know how you feel, I used to have the same problem . I didn't want to take any medication because I was afraid to become dependent on it. so I research the net for alternatives and I found that drinking Valerian Root (tree capsuls) with chamomile tea one hour before going to sleep.
I try this remedy and I am happy to tell you that it worked. now I can sleep, waking up until 6:00 am
so I think thats good. You should try this it might work for you too.

Oskar, I am right with you on the can't go to sleep thing. I will be so sleepy I can't read or
watch TV. By the time I get in the bed it is over and I am staring at the ceiling. I have tried
some sleeping pills which don't seem to work. I have tried different pillows, different
temperatures, eating habits etc. with nothing positive. There are some new all natural
supplements out that I have not tried, but hear they will help you relax. Anybody tried
any of those products? I would try one if someone else has had any results. Anyone?

Hi there,
My profile says that I am a man but not true have to figure out how to change that. Anyway regarding sleeping problems, my ex-husband had the problem and ended up having sleep apnea. I would also go to an ent and see if you have obstructed airways.....But would suggest to anyone with sleep problems to be tested for sleep apnea.

Also the new sleeping medication roserium (probably spelled wrong) is melitonin in a different form then at the health food store. Safe to take.....

Take care,
Kat - Sacrmaneto, California

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders