Tongue cancer and hpv in males

Are there any other men out there or their concerned women who are aware of the epidemic of tongue and throat cancer caused by oral sex? Has anyone seen anything being done to educate to population as to this sexual danger. The first thing I saw was an article in Consumers Report in Feb. 2012 issue. Also Judicial Watch has investigated the vacine Gaurdasil and has issued a very strong warning for those wishing to give this to their children. Stanford University is supposed to be working from a Grant on Research Programs. I and 3 of my freinds are dealing with this and never discovered it until we were in our 60's. Anyone else out there with unexplained tongue or throat cancer ???

62 replies. Join the discussion

My throat cancer was caused by HPV. There actually have been a lot of press lately about the growing epidemic of this. mostly geared towards the younger teenage crowd (I'm 47). Dr. Oz, did a pretty good segment on it in one of his shows not too long ago. But, of course I think with that due to the stigma that goes with it, it is not getting as much attention as it should. I have never smoked nor am I a drinker which is the reason why additional testing was done to find the cause. Given the amount of strains and and that they are still trying to to understand the HPV issue (Such as the incubation period and such), on top of the fact that it is so hard to detect in men, most go undiagnosed as far as the original cause. You must really insist on getting a HPV test done on a biopsy.

I was at M.D. Anderson last week. My doctor and his fellow were both commenting on how wide spread this cause of oral cancer is. The lastest edition of the SPOHNC newletter has a 4 page article on this issue with some frightening statistics. Is it going to take another celebrity like Michael Douglas on the cover of People magazine to make this a vogue topic? The Surgeon General needs to start earning her money to make this potential killer known about.

My cancer is caused by HPV. 45, male, non smoker ocasional drinker and I have been with the same woman for 25 years! undergoing RAD/Chemo for throat cancer, periform sinus cancer.

They say that this cancer is very treatable due to the fact that it is HPV, but I think they are wrong linking this cancer to oral sex only. I have been faithful to my wife and she to me, of this I have no doubt so are they saying that there is a 25 years incubation period for this virus.

If so, they should really be getting the word out there.

Yes, and YES! Could be 90% of cases or more. And while oral sex seems logical, no one really knows as one can get the virus from even just kissing and ???? Its usually HPV 16 (the strain). Anal cancer is linked to this virus, and some are linking breast cancer to it. I tell everyone!! Women too must educate themselves on how to test. A PAP smear is not testing for papiloma virus, although you would think so with the name. PAP stands for the man's name who invented the test, and it tests for pre-cancer cells. You must specifically ask for an HPV test, along with your PAP. And, its a local test only. Meaning, if you test your cervix and are clear, this does not mean your throat is clear, or your anus. Each orifice must be tested, most common is throat swab using a wet mount (same gear as pap test) but remarkably, some labs won't process a throat swab for HPV. They won't here, but several hours down the road closer to SF they will. And I know no one who does an anal swab, perhaps not possible with fecal matter present?? The labs and medical professionals must catch up with this, until then we all must educate them.In the meantime consider the guardasil vaccine. Anthem blue cross now pays for adult HPV vaccines, even though not FDA approved. I got one, my husband got it too after cancer diagnosis. No one recommended it, in fact they told me I was not at risk. I beg to differ. I am so we made it happen for both of us. I don't let FDA regs get in my way when I think it's this important.

I am doing some work on that issu in cooperation with a number of groups. The real issue right now is that while the virus is connected to H&N tumors, it is possible that the infection that caused the tumor happened many years before. What is clear is this
1) men who have had 6 or more lifetime oral sex partners have 8.6 x the risk
2) men who have had 1 to 5 lifetime oral sex partners have 3 x the risk
3) testing the mouth for HPV seems to provide little value as many have HPV infections in their 20's and very few in that age group get hpv relate oral cancer
4) Not clear regarding how HPV enters the mouth and kissing and fingers moving from vagina into mouth are suggested
5) the best reccomendation is to see your dentist and don't ignore symptoms of H&N cancer that last 2 weeks or more

Please contact me if you want to help put on a program for sex educators

From all my research it appears that the highest incidence of oral HPV is found in people in their 20's and 60's. I think the issue of fidelity relates to increasing your risk of getting the virus and theirfore an HPV cancer. However, given that the data looks at lifetime sexual activity either the cancer takes 20 years + to develop and cause trouble or something else is going on.

I was 38 years old when I got cancer and had not been with anyone else but my wife for at least a decade. So who knows.

It's HPV 16 and 18 that causes Cancer in the H&N, which is usually only found in the tonsils and base of tongue. They do not really know why HPV causes cancer in some, but believe there are other co- factors involved and not just by the HPV virus alone. They do not know the time of exposure to Cancer is, but say it can possibly can take decades. They theorize the change in lifestyles has made the increase of oropharynx Cancer due to HPV, but i don't believe this. What did we invent certain sexual contact in the last 20 years? I doubt that. There is more to it, and a lot not understood. There may be new strains of HPV 16/18 or ones not identified yet that is causing the Cancer.

Thank you for the reply. There needs to be more awareness. The ENTs who you think would be all over this act clueless !!!!!!

tyvm. was mickle douglas's cancer caused by HPV? I never heard that he admitted that.

Bizzare!!! Where could you have possibly picked up the virus?? Maybe with you it was another cause . I hope you are doing well and thanks!! I was single for most of my life dated constantly during the Sexual Revolution(Late 50's on) didn't show up until I was 60.

Thanks-outstanding info!! What do we tell our Grandkids ??? All we have is Guardasil and 1 other vaccine that I've heard about. Judicial Watch investigated the safety of Gaurdasil which was "Fast Tracked" thru the Gov. approval process and had some scary results. It's available on their website.

Thanks, Alan. What do you think the odds would be with just for talking purposes we say around 100 or so sexual partners over a 40 year period?? I know at least 2 guys with that stat and 2 with at least 50 or so. We all have it and never smoked or drank that much or worked around chemicals. What about the Kids who believed Clinton ?? They don't think oral sex is sex so it's OK !!Girls preserve their virginity this way!! I would like to help what can I do ?

Thanks Islander. You bring up very interesting facts that I hadn't heard. It reminded me that when I got my sore throat (actually at it's junction with my tongue) I had become very run down and was not taking care of myself like I normally did and I was 60 yrs. old.

Here's what I've learned about the relationship between oral sex, HPV and H&N cancer.
1. Recent studies seem to have established that there is a significant association between H&N cancer and oral sex, especially if there have been multiple partners.
2. The HPV virus is so widespread that researchers state that tens of millions of us have or will get the virus.
3. Still, only a relative handful of people actually develop H&N cancer that tests positive for HPV.
4. Thus, one must conclude that testing positive, or having the HPV virus is NOT a sufficient cause for developing H&N cancer.
5. Therefore, there must be some "triggering" event or process that actually causes or leads to the H&N cancer.
6. The only such trigger or factor that I have seen reported is STRESS....a component in up to 80% of illnesses and diseases.
So, perhaps we should direct our attention to what identifiable factors or conditions might be associated with "activating" this dormant virus.
In my case, I suspect that a high incidence of radiation; including numerous dental x rays and a cat scan on my skull just months before I was diagnosed at age 69, may have triggered the cancer.

Michael Douglas really didn't do anything to bring light to this disease. I give him credit for going through the treamant, respect his privacy, but he fell short in other ways like informing the general public of the type of cancer, HPV or not, type of radiation, type of chemo, what he ate, drank etc. to survive to help future patients going through this disease. I heard through another blog his was HPV positive, but did not see it anywhere myself. If he said his cancer (base of tongue) had a 80% survival rate at stage 4 on David Letterman, that's more consistant with an HPV diagnosis.

Great info. I do think the swab test IS important. Its all we have for the moment. Nearly all of you were diagnosed with cancer at state 3 or 4 and have the battle from hell. We need better testing for early detection, for both sexes. And as mentioned before, local hospitals store tumor tissue so you can test your tumor for the exact strain, no guessing.

Just theorizing here, but the virus could do the DNA damage that leads to cancer. And there are many who believe that cancer itself is a virus. There is evidence that the Epstein Barr virus that causes mono also causes naso-area cancers. And I agree, stress and other factors (excessive carb/sugar diet) can contribute.

About vaccines. Guardasil may have been rushed to market, like many vaccines. And there have been, from the early batches, many individuals who had issues with it, particularly in Europe. But I don't think, except for the rare case, the any issues persist. It is not a live virus so is suitable for a cancer patient and I think it is a viable treatment. I don't need a study to affirm this, its a no brainer for me. My husband had it about a year into his CA treatment. I would take it, and did. In a two year period I had several vaccines, HINI, HPV, Pneumonia, MMR, Tdap and HepB and suffered no ill effects. New evidence is coming out though that the HPV vaccine will only protect you for 5 years, and there is now a second vaccine for more strains just out this year.

While my husband has had many standard treatments, he would never accept the first line drugs. Concurrently, we have engaged in some alternative treatments, many of which approach his illness as a virus. I'm betting my money on the poss that this cancer (and many others) is viral based. No other explanation makes much sense to me.

ENT's are the bain of my existence. They treated my husband like a complete idiot, wagging their finger at him for yes, he smoked and drank in his youth and "caused this himself". He was 56 when diagnosed and had done neither for decades. It was not until they tested the tissue for HPV did they start treating him like a human. It is a real shame that the medical folks are so far behind reality, really upsets me. We are often the educators, and demand that our medical providers come along into the present and get with the program.

Tac11 and Islander--tyvm. we seem to have more info re: this cancer than most Dr.s. Do they just not know or would they rather get paid for the treatment!!! Mine has been going on for 12 years and has served about 20 Dr.s !!!I hate to think like that.

I question that myself sometimes, JobsPeak. My original oncologist suggested to his colleque mine was possibly hpv related when we first met, but was the last I heard it mentioned. My ENT, my new oncologist, PCP, dentist, oral surgeon, gastro, RO never did discuss it. I fianlly asked my ENT, who did the scopes, if they tested the samples for HPV after the biospies, and said he doesn't see that it was after checking. I went to a well known teaching hospital in NYC, and one of the top in the country for cancer and ENT, and wonder why they did not test a sample from the biopsies in 2009, 2010? Sometimes I wonder if it is due to lack of information, education, funding, insurance or studies they are involved or not involved with? Maybe they are not too concerned because it doesnt effect the type of treatmant given, well for now anyway, it is still the same.

Michael Douglas never said anything about HPV and my sense is that he either did not know or did not want to reveal it. You are correct that given the site of the tumore the odds are high that it was an HPV positive tumor. Given his age, I would think the odds are pretty high that he had more than 6 sexual partners from the time he was a teenager but as I don't work for TMZ tracking his sexual adventures is not on my CV.

It should be noted that he was also a smoker and from what I heard a least a moderate user of alchohol. So a non-HPV tumor is also possible.

My wild time was when I was in my 20's and I had a few one night stands but I think my list of partners can be counted on less than two hands. Given that I never dated more than one person at a time went long periods of time without dating, I have always thought I was on the low end of what others were doing. Who knows.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support HNCA

Help the Head and Neck Cancer Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Head and Neck Cancer Alliance

Discussion topics

More from HNCA

Community leaders