Facial Lymphedema

Hi,

In the last 10 months my dad has had a tumor removed from the back of his tongue, 9 lymph nodes removed from his neck and 2 separate rounds of a radiation/chemo treatments do to a recurrence.

Anyway, at this point in time the lymphedema in his face is horrible. He has started having lymphatic massage. Wondered if anyone is aware of organic/holistic remedies to try? It has to be something that can be used in a feeding tube.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Kerri

2 replies. Join the discussion

Hi. I am a lymphedema therapist and specialize in treatment of lymphedema of the face and neck. There has been some research on the use of selenium for reducing edema. Check with your oncologist. The most common treatment is a combination of massage, exercise, and compression bandaging. This should be done by a qualified lymphedema therapist. Depending on your location, you may have a clinic near you. Glad to try and locate someone near you if you tell me what part of the country you are in.

I am a GP and also a daughter. My mother recently had head and neck surgery for a thyroid cancer which had spread locally. She had dreadful facial oedema but this settled within a few weeks as the consultant predicated.

He explained that the lymphatic system re-establishes itself so i hope the same may happen for your father. Otherwise I only know that massage may have some proven benefit.

Good luck.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support HNCA

Help the Head and Neck Cancer Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Head and Neck Cancer Alliance

Discussion topics

More from HNCA

Community leaders