in my head

well the doctors are saying i dont have GP that its all in my head so does anyone with Gastroparesis eat and throw up right after the last bite? Or does it stay down for a while and then come up? Please let me know i have a meeting with the doctors today i need answers.

6 replies. Join the discussion

have you had an upper gi done? i have smas and they have the same symptoms
best of luck to you.

Have you had a gastric emptying study done? That will pretty much resolve the question of whether it's real or not. Doctors are quick to equate GP with eating disorders. But the test doesn't lie. Until then, assume that you do have GP, get on a good diet for gastroparesis (you can google it), and hopefully you'll get some relief from your symptoms. But do push to have the GES done. It will answer your doctor's question with cold hard facts. Good luck, Love and Light, Candace

I agree that it's important to have the gastric emptying study done, preferably the 4 hour one. I have gastoparesis while occasionally I have vomiting right after a meal, most of the time I find that it's quite a bit after that. But I think it's different for many people. Hope the doctors get to the bottom of what's going on so you can get some answers.

I often wonder about the sensitivity of these tests. In other words, does it only pickup the most extreme cases of gastroparesis, or does it pickup a minor case of lack of stomach movement. Theses tests are not perfect. I read from one of the posts on this board, where one of the gi doctors in john hopkins had mentioned that stomach motility changes during the day. I have to search for the post. It's just like the radar gun which is used to pickup if someone is speeding. There should be a standard error, and in the case of the radar gun, it is like +-5mph. So, there should be a standard error for an empty test as well. The designers of that machine would know.

Read my article on "it's in your head"

Every person in this site, every person in the world, is different. Severity of symptoms, frequency of flare- ups, and knowing your own body is the key. There isn't another person alive that can tell you that you're fine if you know you aren't. Testing is certainly one way to rule out disease, however, people are not textbook. Keep in mind that physicians and supporting healthcare professionals are fallible. We can all make mistakes. With that said,I have gp..a pretty severe case, along with some other co-morbidities, and It took a long time for my diagnosis.. right around six years. The point is, be your own advocate, fight for yourself, insist they listen.. eventually things will become clear. Conversely, be open to the advice given. Becoming rigidly steadfast in your belief that you have gp may shut your eyes to what's really going on.
Symptomatically, I can eat and vomit while eating, right after eating, or several hours later. The vomiting associated with gp doesn't denote severity. It, rather, is an indicator of your motility.
One last word.. everyone means well and will offer support and " answers" to try to help. Press realize that there are nothing more than anecdotes and opinions and should not be substituted for medical advice.
Best of luck obtaining the answers you seek..

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support G-PACT

Help G-PACT reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  G-PACT

Discussion topics

The Belly Press Blog

When you take that turn – a blog in the middle of the night – by Sheila Clark
I remember when I was diagnosed first with gastroparesis. I had been hearing IBS for so many years. "IBS and stress are you problems" would say each new doctor I would find to try and help me. So, when ...

The unfortunate timeline of Chronic Illness - by Penny Rorrer
1- Symptoms start 2- You try over the counter medications 3- You bring it up to your Doctor 4- Your friends and family say "oh, everyone has that from time to time, it will go away" 5- You bring it up ...

HASH(0x7f43ddf68190)
Don't Give Up, by Sheila Clark My life began with gastroparesis in 2008. I went to my GI Dr. because I was having a lot of nausea and feeling full after I ate. At the time I was 265 pounds, a food addict ...

Supplements And Vitamins For Gastroparesis
Supplements And Vitamins For Gastroparesis While the treatments for gastroparesis (GP) may vary, given that it is an affliction that affects digestion, any sufferer is recommended to modify his or her ...

My life matters, your life matters. Change the world!
By: Carissa Haston G-PACT President/Founder You don't appreciate life as much until you've almost lost it. Once you are given a second chance, you really realize the meaning of it and how fragile it can ...

Read more at The Belly Press

Community leaders