help with finding a dietician that specializes in GP

my wife has been recently diagnosed with GP after 3.5 years of the docs not having a clue what was wrong with her. now that we know what she has, what is a better course of action; more 'expert' doctors who want to drug and cut or a registered dietician? the docs are easy to find but finding a RD that specializes in diet for GP sufferers has not yielded much. we live in colorado and have seen one RD already and we actually knew more about the GP diet than she did. can anyone point us in the right direction? after reading the amazing posts on this website it is clear to us that my wife has less severe GP than most but it still has lessened her quality of life. my heart goes out to all of you that share your experiences in order to help others. peace and comfort to you.

8 replies. Join the discussion

Hello,
Does your wife also have diabetes? I diabetes dietitian would be your best bet. My GP is not severe and I found the best change in my diet was cutting out fiber. As much as possible. You may already know that. I hate that bc I live fresh veggies. And with also having diabetes the two diets are conflicting! Sorry I wasn't more help. Good luck in your search!
Lisa

I suggest you go to CrystalSaltrelli on facebook or her site livingwithgastroparesis.com. Crystal is a nutritionist that has GP. She has a newsletter you can sign up for, instructional u-tube videos and does class sessions over the phone or internet or one on one nutritional advice if you want. I have taken several of her webinars and they were not very expensive and have been invaluable. Crystal also has a book "living well with gastroparesis" the only book I could find when I started researching GP. Good luck to you and your wife.

One useful suggestion I was given was to contact RDs/nutritionists who work with patients from bariatric surgery centers, even though it's counterintuitive in that many people with GP have unwanted weight loss. Although they may not be familiar with gastroparesis per se, a lot of our issues are very similar to what many weight-loss surgery patients go through in the first months after surgery: persistent nausea, vomiting, pain from eating, gassiness/bloating/gas-pains, lack of appetite, inability to consume enough to maintain health, nutrient malabsorption, etc. etc. (In fact, one thing "they" don't tell you about weight-loss surgery is that the physical trauma to the stomach itself can *cause* GP!)

Hi mfiske, have you checked through your insurance for a dietician/nutricionist? We have Anthem Blue Cross and because of all the diagnosis I was given, (colitis, gastritis, pos. H pyloric, GERD and gastroparesis) I have access to not only a 24/7 nurse but a dietician as well. My dietician's name is Harriet Marcus and she is well informed on gastroparesis. Doctors have had me on 3 different diets and each time I call her and let her know, she e-mails me the foods I should be eating, what I need to stay away from and how many calories I need to maintain my weight and how many to gain. She even does a meal plan for a few days for me. I've lost a total of 42 pounds and right now I'm maintaining a weight of 105. She told me I need 2000 calories a day to gain a pound a week but is a lot of calories for me, I've only hit that mark a couple of times. Good luck and I hope you find a good dietician, they're crucial for us GP'ers!
Linda

Check out Crystal Saltrelli - she has a couple of books on Amazon. I think it has been more helpful than the doctors....my Moms primary doc will not even give her referral for nutritionist! Probably just as well from what I've been reading - there aren't many who understand GP and can end up giving bad advice. There is no one "diet" that works for everyone - it is a lot of trial & error to see what works best for each individual. My family has been learning for the past 2 years and it is very frustrating as I am only now finding this page so you are lucky to have found it early in your search. Good luck and do check out the books!

I second the book. Also live in an area that I was smarter than the GI Doc after reading the book and ordered the recipe book, "Living Well with Gastroparesis". I found a daily food journal helped. I write down what I eat, how much and then my symptoms (scale 0-5 for nausea, pain, fullness, pain, ect). This is how I found out my beloved peanut butter is now a no no in any amount :( I wish your family all the best. I understand how hard it is for my husband to watch me too.

My daughter gave me a book called "Living well with Gastroparesis. It is written by Crystal Zaborowski Saltrelli CHC It has answers, advice, tips and recipes for a healtiher happier life living with Gastroparesis. It is a wonderful source.

I need to say this women who wrote the book has lived with Gastroparesis for a long time.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support G-PACT

Help G-PACT reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  G-PACT

Discussion topics

The Belly Press Blog

When you take that turn – a blog in the middle of the night – by Sheila Clark
I remember when I was diagnosed first with gastroparesis. I had been hearing IBS for so many years. "IBS and stress are you problems" would say each new doctor I would find to try and help me. So, when ...

The unfortunate timeline of Chronic Illness - by Penny Rorrer
1- Symptoms start 2- You try over the counter medications 3- You bring it up to your Doctor 4- Your friends and family say "oh, everyone has that from time to time, it will go away" 5- You bring it up ...

HASH(0x7faea98930f8)
Don't Give Up, by Sheila Clark My life began with gastroparesis in 2008. I went to my GI Dr. because I was having a lot of nausea and feeling full after I ate. At the time I was 265 pounds, a food addict ...

Supplements And Vitamins For Gastroparesis
Supplements And Vitamins For Gastroparesis While the treatments for gastroparesis (GP) may vary, given that it is an affliction that affects digestion, any sufferer is recommended to modify his or her ...

My life matters, your life matters. Change the world!
By: Carissa Haston G-PACT President/Founder You don't appreciate life as much until you've almost lost it. Once you are given a second chance, you really realize the meaning of it and how fragile it can ...

Read more at The Belly Press

Community leaders