What is a good Sperm Count for IUI?

Hello, I just had my third and final IUI this morning. The nurse that did the IUI said that DH had "an absolutely great count" with 26 million. I didn't really pay much attention to the count with the first two IUI's b/c neither of those nurses made a big deal about it. While this nurse certainly made me feel much more hopeful than i had been about the possibility of an IUI actually working i am curious about the numbers.

Do you all know what an average sperm count is for an IUI?
Thanks
Shawnna

13 replies. Join the discussion

I don't know with fresh sperm, but spermbanks guarantee 20 million after thawing -- so it looks like your 26 passes the test with flying colors!

good luck!
Jill

Wow! That's amazing! I know our RE pinpoints 5 million as the ideal minimum after the wash - your 26 million is incredible!

Thanks ladies, this is going to be a very long 2ww- it has only been 24 hours and i just want to know the results so that i know whether or not i am moving on to IVF. UGGGHHHHH

Shawnna-

Just wanted to wish you good luck!

-Jen J.

I never had that many. Most of my counts were in the 3 to 5 million.

Good luck.

Baby dust is being sent to you.

Jamie : )

Same here as with Jamie....we just never had that many! Congrats on the big numbers. Hope it brings you your baby! Good Luck.
Ali

Anything over 1 million washed sperm is acceptable for IUI but the higher the better. Your husband's sperm count is excellent, so count yourself lucky! My old doctor had a patient who got pregnant with 0.5 million and IUI (a story that he repeated multiple times).

quick question...is it weird to have big numbers? can there be a too big number?
i ask because my dh's #s for our 3 iuis were around 50 million, 29 million, and 41 million respectively. yet, still no go. could it be a bad thing if there are too many?
the nurse said the motility and all that was good, but...
just curious.

shawnna...i wish you tons of luck!!! hugs to you.

jenn

Jenn- Those #'s must be incredible, i can't imagine that the # can be too high but then again who knows :)

Thanks for all for your support and encouragement. I looked around on the internet today and the most info. i could find was that they consider anything over 10 million to be a good count.

Jenn, I think those are normal numbers. I've read 20-150 million is considered "normal", with 40-60 million being the average.

One interesting tidbit I've read is that the average for all men has fallen over the past decades. I don't know if it's really true. Anyone else read this?

Shawnna,

My new RE said 10 million progressive motile sperm after the wash is the goal. We haven't had more than 5 million and no success. Here's hoping for good numbers for our last IUI on Sunday.

Good luck with the 2WW. I'll be a couple of days behind you.

Jen

I also have read that sperm count has gone down over time. Apparently it is controversial topic. Some agree it is true and other studies have contradicted it. Go figure...

Good luck to you! It looks like we are in the same boat, I had my 3rd and final IUI on 1/4/09. If it didn't work, we will be moving on to IVF.
Sending hugs your way. Keep me posted after you get your blood work results.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders