Rubbing Castor Oil....

Hi,
Has anyone heard of rubbing castor oil on the stomach area (directly above the uterus)? The acupuncturist I go to recommended doing this 3x a week for 3-4 weeks prior to IVF, but I’m not sure if I should try it.

Thx-Emma

6 replies. Join the discussion

Yes, I've heard of this. One acupuncturist I saw recommended that I put a soaked cloth on my belly and then warm the area with an electric heating pad on top. I tried it a few times but it was so messy and time-consuming that I haven't done it again. By chance, is your acupuncturist Chinese? I have had both but my Chinese acupuncturists never ever suggest this.

Hi KLinKL,

I'm thinking it might get really messy too, so I'm not sure if I should try. I wanted to see if this was a common thing and how often it’s used. To answer your question, no- my acupuncturist is not Chinese.
Thx.

What you might try is a castor oil pack. You don't actually rub the oil directly on your skin- you soak a flannel cloth (or I use a wash cloth) with castor oil, lay it on your pelvic area, then put a heat source on top of that. You can put a layer of saran wrap between the pack and the heat source if your worried about getting it on the heat source. It's actually not messy- it soaks into your skin and is nice a warm and relaxing. Check out http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/dietarytherapy/a/CastorOilPack.html

If the link doesn't work, just google "castor oil packs" and there will be a description on the benefits and how to assemble one.

They are supposed to be good for your immune system, getting the blood flowing, softening adhesions, helping with menstrual cramps, among other things. Plus your skin feels soft and it's a chance to relax for 20-30 minutes at a time.

Give it a try!

My acupuncturist who is also a naturopathic doctor recommends Castor Oil packs. They arent messy at all and very relaxing. She mentioned it helps with pelvic congestion. Hope this helps

Olt0904 and blossom34,

Thanks so much.....this is very helpful!!!! Just a quick question, how many times a week did you do the Castor Oil packs leading to your treatments.

Thanks so much,
Emma

Emma,
I've heard varying things regarding number of times. I don't think there is a right or wrong. I've heard of doing them everyday, to several times a week. I've also heard you're not supposed to do them while on your period though. Hope this helps!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders