Preemie Mom wanting to learn about Adoption

I am the mother of a former preemie - he is now two years old. It was a pretty traumatic birth. My son was born at 26 weeks after a placental abruption. I nearly lost my life bringing our sweet child into this world, but he is a miracle baby and is now healthy and strong. I started a website and Facebook page called His Middle Name, so if you're interested - stop by, visit or send me a message. I'd love to hear from you! My question is this: Any women or parents out there know anything about adopting premature babies? My husband and I cannot have anymore children of our own because I had to have a total hysterectomy last year due to the damage my son's birth caused me physically and a large fibroid tumor I had. My husband and I would love to adopt in the future and want to learn how we go about trying to adopt a preemie, because we have experience with raising a preemie and all that it entails regarding their care, etc. Are there agencies specifically for these types of adoption? Where do we even begin? Please help - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies. Join the discussion

I'm pretty sure there are no agencies who specialize or cater to this set. It's kind of like wanting to adopt twins. You could definitely put it out there that you are open to this ... but there's no way that an agency could even begin to say "we specialize in preemies" because most matches are made before birth (in domestic adoption) and therefore there is no way of knowing whether the child will be born prematurely or not.

Best of luck in your search!

I agree with minibus. I adopted a low-birthweight baby but not because I planned on it. The birthmom I was getting to know just -- bam! -- went into labor early!

The birthparents are often stressed if they feel they need to find a good home for the baby. Sometimes moderate to heavy smoking is involved, which may lower birthweight. So, overall, I can see conditions in adoption where you could get a pre-term or lower birthweight baby.

Have you considered volunteering at your local hospital? NICU units sometimes have volunteers. That way you could ask questions regarding foster care and adoption of preemies.

I agree with the others that agencies will often be unable to match you with a preemie because most adoption matches are facilitated while the expecting mother is still pregnant. There are occasionally 'baby on the ground' matches, when a mother decides to place a child for adoption after birth, so it could be possible for the situation you are interested in to arise.....just perhaps not likely.

Well actually, if you are interested in international adoption, you absolutely can request a preemie, specifically in China and Korea you can do this. Keep in mind though that the child you will be adopting will be a toddler 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 at homecoming. I don't know if that is something you would consider, but thought I would throw it out there.

--Christina

Thank you all for your advice and for reaching out. I have so much to learn and am just in the beginning stages of my learning, but any advice is welcome. Thank you again!

I was researching agencies and thought of this post. Spence-Chapin (in NY) has a program, called ASAP for infants up to 8 weeks old who are at risk for developmental delays or are identified as special needs. Parental rights would have already been terminated. There is no fee for this program and it is open to parents nationally. I'm not sure of the wait times, but they placed 20 babies last year per the website. You could probably specify your desire for a preemie with the social workers and they would tell you if this would be a right fit for you. Good luck!

http://www.spence-chapin.org/adoption-programs/b1h_special_needs.php

Coraline - this is fantastic! Thank you so very much for thinking of me, and I will definitely keep Spence-Chapin in mind. They seem like such a great agency!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders