New Jersey Mandate & Small Business vs NY

Hi Everyone: I run my own business in New Jersey and I have AETNA Small Group Choice, (POS) I have been paying for myself and my employees for the last 10 years. I have been told since I am less than 50 employees I can not get coverage for IVF, not even a rider. I have been told that no insurance company will even OFFER fertility treatments in NJ for small group plans. Is this true? Since I am the employer I can switch plans etc. Is there anyway that a NJ small business owner can get fertility coverage?-does any insurance company offer it to small businesses? My business does substantial work in New York, if I move the company to New York- is there a requirement for New York carriers to at least OFFER fertility coverage. Thanks really stressed..

5 replies. Join the discussion

Hey - I am a health care broker and work the Northeast. NJ is a state that offers coverage but groups of less than 50 are excluded from the mandate. NY covers diagnostics only. Here is a great link: http://www.fertilitylifelines.com/payingfortreatment/state-mandatedinsuranc elist.jsp.
Can you move your company to CT? CT has a strong mandate and I could write you a group plan in CT. :-)

CT's mandate totally rocks. You might want to look at the taxes of NJ, NY, and CT. I wonder if CT taxes for businesses are better than NJ? Also what about Delaware? There is no mandate but could you get coverage anyway there? I think the business laws tax-wise are way better there.
Nicole

JennyP --

I have another question for you. There is another thread going called "Pregnancy as a result of infertility treatment." One of the women here was told her insurance would not cover any babies born as a result of infertility treatment. Same was true for a Californian who was seeking private insurance.

Do you know of any resources for information on this topic? I don't know which state the writer of the other thread lives in.

Thanks!

Marie

morecheese ...got out of here?? is that true? they wont pay because her babies where via IF treatment?? boy I would be at my lawyers office in a heartbeat ..........it is bad enough most dont pay for IF but it is total BS if they discriminate against how a baby was conceived ...... unbelievable

Thank you to all who responded I would be interested hear anymore responses if anyone has..
Thanks Again and happy 4th of July..

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders